Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 90046

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #750 on: December 04, 2018, 05:00:36 PM
The hook transforms the Explorer to a comfy handle to carry 2 heavy trash bags, without cutting off the bloodstream to my fingers.
(Image removed from quote.)
Very handy! Great usage!  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #751 on: December 07, 2018, 05:32:03 PM
My 2 Explorers with plus scales.  Need to add a pin to my older one as well as pen.  I like the older one with glass lens and without hook.  Looks like my tweezers are trying to escape  :) 
IMG_6300.jpg
* IMG_6300.jpg (Filesize: 224.59 KB)
IMG_6301.jpg
* IMG_6301.jpg (Filesize: 245.87 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #752 on: December 07, 2018, 05:42:13 PM
Nice pics everyone!!
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #753 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:46 PM
My 2 Explorers with plus scales.  Need to add a pin to my older one as well as pen.  I like the older one with glass lens and without hook.  Looks like my tweezers are trying to escape  :)
:like: nice

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #754 on: December 12, 2018, 12:07:17 AM
I just ordered my first Explorer.

After the Huntsman challenge, I found that I had become quite comfortable carrying a 4-layer SAK. The Huntsman seems like a pretty ideal SAK to me, no complaints there.

However, I find that as my eyes have become more far-sighted with age, and I find myself picking up a magnifying glass to read the bits off small-print that come my way, I thought it would be a good idea to try an Explorer with it's glass.

The Yeoman (sadly out of production) looks great, too, but I really like the looks of the Explorer's tool set....and now realize that I don't mind carrying a 4-layer SAK in the least. So an Explorer is now on its way.....

:climber:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #755 on: December 12, 2018, 12:11:32 AM
Excellent. The magnifying glass is a great help! Well worth having, even if you have good eyes! Hope you get it real soon. :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #756 on: December 12, 2018, 12:23:08 AM
Thanks, Ray! I'm stoked to give it a try.   :cheers:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #757 on: December 12, 2018, 01:08:16 AM
Here are my two Explorer's with plus scales!
Explorer_Set.jpg
* Explorer_Set.jpg (Filesize: 102.31 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #758 on: December 12, 2018, 01:09:04 AM
 :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #759 on: December 12, 2018, 01:10:04 AM
I had the choice between Red and Black scales.

Chose black.   :dunno:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #760 on: December 12, 2018, 01:13:06 AM

Black sounds good - real good  :tu:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #761 on: December 12, 2018, 11:21:27 AM

:like:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #762 on: December 12, 2018, 03:52:29 PM

Somethings are really better in twos.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #763 on: December 12, 2018, 06:05:19 PM

You are so right!  :rofl:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #764 on: December 13, 2018, 04:22:51 AM

I concur with that!  lol

All this chat about the Explorer lately so guess what I had to carry today running around town.  It was missed and felt good in the pocket!  :)

EDC121218.jpg
* EDC121218.jpg (Filesize: 113.22 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #765 on: December 13, 2018, 04:26:23 AM
 :tu:   :like:

Eagerly awaiting mine now.......

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #766 on: December 13, 2018, 05:43:08 AM
:tu:   :like:

Eagerly awaiting mine now.......
That black one will be a looker! :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #767 on: December 13, 2018, 08:52:19 AM
Awl this latest talk about the Explorer reminded me i haven't touched mine in months, so i played around with it a bit, and just remembered why it doesn't work for me for regular edc pocket carry... Just too darn big and bulky to justify it. The Phillips/mag layer is too thick for the real usability I'd get out of it. I got a just as good Phillips solution and can save up a lot of space and bulk...  :-\
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #768 on: December 13, 2018, 04:49:10 PM
Awl this latest talk about the Explorer reminded me i haven't touched mine in months, so i played around with it a bit, and just remembered why it doesn't work for me for regular edc pocket carry... Just too darn big and bulky to justify it. The Phillips/mag layer is too thick for the real usability I'd get out of it. I got a just as good Phillips solution and can save up a lot of space and bulk...  :-\

Oh dear, you are speaking to my fears. I only just got used to carrying the slightly slimmer Huntsman........  :ahhh

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #769 on: December 13, 2018, 06:40:26 PM

Oh dear, you are speaking to my fears. I only just got used to carrying the slightly slimmer Huntsman........  :ahhh

I don't think there is much difference in width/thickness from the Huntsman to the Explorer, maybe a 1mm so you should be fine!  :)

I will say that I when I wear jeans I prefer to use a suspension clip and let it ride right down the outside inseam but when I wear casual pants or cargo type pants I just pocket carry without any issues!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #770 on: December 13, 2018, 07:11:10 PM
My eyes are not 100% anymore, and an extra layer to have a magnifier is a win for me.
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #771 on: December 13, 2018, 07:39:45 PM
My eyes are not 100% anymore, and an extra layer to have a magnifier is a win for me.
:iagree: 110%
I need the magnifying glass also. It is well worth the real estate!   :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #772 on: December 13, 2018, 08:01:06 PM

I don't think there is much difference in width/thickness from the Huntsman to the Explorer, maybe a 1mm so you should be fine!  :)

I will say that I when I wear jeans I prefer to use a suspension clip and let it ride right down the outside inseam but when I wear casual pants or cargo type pants I just pocket carry without any issues!

Yes the Huntsman is slightly thinner but not by much. But i don't really edc any sak over 3 layers anyway, just can't justify the extra tools, the weight and bulk. If o go to a specific envoirmant that i can justify it ill take them occasionally, but regular urban edc 3 layers with scissors is the max ill go.

Regarding the mag glass, my eyes are not what they used to be as well, but for magnification, ill just take a pic with my phone and enlarge, much more quick and effective, with no extra weight... :whistle:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #773 on: December 14, 2018, 01:42:16 AM
 :rofl:  I've done that, too!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #774 on: December 14, 2018, 02:59:26 AM

Yes the Huntsman is slightly thinner but not by much. But i don't really edc any sak over 3 layers anyway, just can't justify the extra tools, the weight and bulk. If o go to a specific envoirmant that i can justify it ill take them occasionally, but regular urban edc 3 layers with scissors is the max ill go.

Regarding the mag glass, my eyes are not what they used to be as well, but for magnification, ill just take a pic with my phone and enlarge, much more quick and effective, with no extra weight... :whistle:

I guess the Explorer don't work for everyone but try it and see sometime!  I too have done the pic thing with my phone but only when I needed a mag lens and didn't have it on me!  lol

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #775 on: December 14, 2018, 03:17:10 AM

I guess the Explorer don't work for everyone but try it and see sometime!  I too have done the pic thing with my phone but only when I needed a mag lens and didn't have it on me!  lol

Usually in a dark restaurant, using the flashlight on my phone, and with the camera zoomed in, reading the menu...
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #776 on: December 14, 2018, 03:21:37 AM

Usually in a dark restaurant, using the flashlight on my phone, and with the camera zoomed in, reading the menu...
:rofl: :rofl:
I can picture that!  :like:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #777 on: December 14, 2018, 09:15:30 AM

Oh but i did tried it, i carried it last year for a couple of months or so, that's why i say i cant really justify carrying a 4layer sak for those tools. I really just hate to carrying stuff with me, so the fewer and lighter and best tool/usability ratio the better.
I too had one or two situations i wish a has a mag glass with me, but that's life. If we start to anticipate awl the tools we "may" need eventually, soon we would be carrying a tool box in the pocket...  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:18:18 AM by MacGyver »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #778 on: December 14, 2018, 11:03:09 AM

Oh but i did tried it, i carried it last year for a couple of months or so, that's why i say i cant really justify carrying a 4layer sak for those tools. I really just hate to carrying stuff with me, so the fewer and lighter and best tool/usability ratio the better.
I too had one or two situations i wish a has a mag glass with me, but that's life. If we start to anticipate awl the tools we "may" need eventually, soon we would be carrying a tool box in the pocket...  :facepalm:

That's exactly why SAK's and multi tools where invented.
@blackdiamonds_42

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #779 on: December 14, 2018, 04:03:34 PM

That's exactly why SAK's and multi tools where invented.

Not really...
Im afraid you didn't really understood what I meant....  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%