Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89747

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #780 on: December 14, 2018, 04:25:25 PM

I guess the Explorer don't work for everyone but try it and see sometime!  I too have done the pic thing with my phone but only when I needed a mag lens and didn't have it on me!  lol

Oh but i did tried it, i carried it last year for a couple of months or so, that's why i say i cant really justify carrying a 4layer sak for those tools. I really just hate to carrying stuff with me, so the fewer and lighter and best tool/usability ratio the better.
I too had one or two situations i wish a has a mag glass with me, but that's life. If we start to anticipate awl the tools we "may" need eventually, soon we would be carrying a tool box in the pocket...  :facepalm:

That's exactly why SAK's and multi tools where invented.

Not really...
Im afraid you didn't really understood what I meant....  :think:

I am afraid I understood you perfectly.
As an example, the only time I ever need a can opener is when the pull tab of a can breaks off.  If at that point, I have a tool in my pocket or in my bag that has a can opener, I can eat.
I am not planning for every eventuality that can happen, but having some things on me that cover some eventualities helps a lot. If I look at a SAK Pioneer with your perspective, then can opener, the bottle opener, and the awl are redundant, because I don't even use them 3 times a year. Then I better carry a Solo.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #781 on: December 14, 2018, 06:34:56 PM

I guess the Explorer don't work for everyone but try it and see sometime!  I too have done the pic thing with my phone but only when I needed a mag lens and didn't have it on me!  lol

Oh but i did tried it, i carried it last year for a couple of months or so, that's why i say i cant really justify carrying a 4layer sak for those tools. I really just hate to carrying stuff with me, so the fewer and lighter and best tool/usability ratio the better.
I too had one or two situations i wish a has a mag glass with me, but that's life. If we start to anticipate awl the tools we "may" need eventually, soon we would be carrying a tool box in the pocket...  :facepalm:

Well at least you tried it.  Like I said, it doesn't work for everyone!  Life goes on!

I am not one that carries a pile of stuff in my pockets for "what ifs" and have always considered myself somewhat of a minimalist in EDC carry.  That said, I would much rather have my Explorer on me and not need it daily then to not have it.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:37:36 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #782 on: December 14, 2018, 06:56:43 PM
Still waiting for mine..... :wait:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #783 on: December 14, 2018, 07:03:56 PM
Patience my young Padawan  :cheers:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #784 on: December 14, 2018, 07:14:59 PM
Patience my young Padawan  :cheers:

The journey to an Explorer is a road worth travelling  :iagree:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #785 on: December 14, 2018, 07:26:08 PM
Been carrying my Exploree for a couple of weeks now and I simply love it. The extra layer doesn't bother me at all.
Actually, the extra size doesn't. Last three years I carried a MiniChamp or a classic.
But a bigger knive is just so nice. And I love the fact it has a Phillips screwdriver.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #786 on: December 14, 2018, 10:05:54 PM
I was asked recently to help choose a gift SAK for a mutual friend. He's a musician and works in electronics, and the Explorer quickly came to mind. A black Plus model would be best but was impossible to find in stores, and since there was no time to buy black plus scales we gave him the regular version in black, adding a mini SD from my box of spares. Hmmm - he wouldn't miss the pen if he didn't know about it!  ;)

Our friend was delighted. He carries it everywhere and uses it all the time.  :tu:

My ex's brother is on his second Explorer after losing his first one; he also carries it everywhere. He likes the inline Phillips especially. It gives him more confidence than the can opener tip and fits into more crowded spaces.

One of the great things about SAKs is that there's a model for nearly everyone. I have an Explorer and while I love its design, I prefer to carry other models. It does, however, fit certain people's needs very well. The world would be a poorer place without it.  :cheers:

P.S. I'd love to see an Explorer Lite, with an LED in place of the magnifier. Would be useful, say, for exploring the wardrobe and under furniture and car seats as you search for that misplaced SAK.

P.P.S. There's a nifty phone app called Army Knife for Android (it used to have "Swiss" in front but I believe Vic or someone cried foul). A suite of everyday functions, it includes a magnifier function and flashlight that I use regularly. You can use the light together with the magnifier - very handy. Easier and better than using the camera for some things, such finding and digging out splinters. The app's icon is a blue Explorer. :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:13:13 PM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #787 on: December 14, 2018, 10:22:50 PM

Not really...

As an example, the only time I ever need a can opener is when the pull tab of a can breaks off.  If at that point, I have a tool in my pocket or in my bag that has a can opener, I can eat.
I am not planning for every eventuality that can happen, but having some things on me that cover some eventualities helps a lot. If I look at a SAK Pioneer with your perspective, then can opener, the bottle opener, and the awl are redundant, because I don't even use them 3 times a year. Then I better carry a Solo.

I'm afraid you still don't haven't understood what i meant...   :facepalm:
I actually agree with what you've said above. But that's just the point, i only need a few basic tools that cover the basics and can be used for improvised uses that hehe nothing to do with their intended function...
I was only giving the example how i feel the extra phillips/mag layer (for me, for my use) doesn't justify the extra weight and bulk.
I can use other means of magnification, and I've already have a good tool for Philips screws (can opener), not to mention my bit system if i need it, so why would i need that extra layer...? Not to mention those too tools only have (practically) one use/function, the phillips could serve as a great glass breaker as well, but that's pretty much it.
You've mentioned, for example, the can opener and bottle opener, the actual functions of opening tin cans or pop bottle caps are at the bottom basement of my priority list, however those are my two most used tools on a sak, even more than the blade itself. I've improvised so many uses and tasks with those two tools that are just to many to mention. Similar thing for all other most used tools.

That's the beauty of sak's, even more the more simple ones, the amount of things/uses you can improvise with those implements. Almost nothing on a sak is ever "the right tool" for anything, just the beat possible that you have on your pocket to help you with a task in hand, in a pinch.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #788 on: December 14, 2018, 10:34:16 PM

Not really...

I actually agree with what you've said above. But that's just the point, i only need a few basic tools that cover the basics and can be used for improvised uses that hehe nothing to do with their intended function...
I was only giving the example how i feel the extra phillips/mag layer (for me, for my use) doesn't justify the extra weight and bulk.
I can use other means of magnification, and I've already have a good tool for Philips screws (can opener), not to mention my bit system if i need it, so why would i need that extra layer...? Not to mention those too tools only have (practically) one use/function, the phillips could serve as a great glass breaker as well, but that's pretty much it.
You've mentioned, for example, the can opener and bottle opener, the actual functions of opening tin cans or pop bottle caps are at the bottom basement of my priority list, however those are my two most used tools on a sak, even more than the blade itself. I've improvised so many uses and tasks with those two tools that are just to many to mention. Similar thing for all other most used tools.

That's the beauty of sak's, even more the more simple ones, the amount of things/uses you can improvise with those implements. Almost nothing on a sak is ever "the right tool" for anything, just the beat possible that you have on your pocket to help you with a task in hand, in a pinch.

I have seen your shows, you don't have to explain it
@blackdiamonds_42

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #789 on: December 14, 2018, 11:15:42 PM

Not really...

My shows...?  I don't quite understand what you mean there...?  :think:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #790 on: December 14, 2018, 11:27:00 PM

Not really...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKTNWI0eYJ4
@blackdiamonds_42

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #791 on: December 14, 2018, 11:37:29 PM

Not really...

LOL  :rofl:

Oh man com'on... now you are just being silly.... I'm actually serious here... 
And no, i don't think i'm Macgyver, just a fan of the show, and also like his way of thinking  ;)

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #792 on: December 15, 2018, 12:01:09 AM

Not really...

LOL  :rofl:

Oh man com'on... now you are just being silly.... I'm actually serious here... 
And no, i don't think i'm Macgyver, just a fan of the show, and also like his way of thinking  ;)

:rofl:

Yeah, I was kidding. Carry on....

@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #793 on: December 15, 2018, 12:13:11 AM
Rambler

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #794 on: December 15, 2018, 12:47:39 AM

Wow, that brings back a memory! 8)

Yeah it does!  Awhile ago I watched a few episodes on the original show on Netflix but now I think they are gone!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #795 on: December 15, 2018, 12:49:22 AM

Yeah it does!  Awhile ago I watched a few episodes on the original show on Netflix but now I think they are gone!
I have been watching some of the movies on YouTube.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #796 on: December 15, 2018, 12:54:47 AM

I have been watching some of the movies on YouTube.

I finished watching the whole 7 seasons again (for the n'th time) last month...  :facepalm:

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #797 on: December 15, 2018, 11:49:05 AM
Picked up this beauty yesterday. It's my third explorer.

Explorer White Christmas 2017

I'm a bit late to the party, but I found this on an unsuccessful hunt for a 2018 Christmas Sportsman.
The lady actually had two! So she still has one on display.
I'm afraid this one will not see a lot of use. Perhaps this christmas unwrapping gifts!

On a side note, I really dig the latest version of the magnifying lens (clear fitting, glass lens). It's a good trade-off between magnification and lens diameter.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #798 on: December 15, 2018, 11:56:24 AM

lady actually

Lady Actually :hatsoff:

I'm on pfrsantos duty today.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #799 on: December 15, 2018, 12:15:57 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm a bit late to the party, but I found this on an unsuccessful hunt for a 2018 Christmas Sportsman.
I'm afraid this one will not see a lot of use. Perhaps this christmas unwrapping gifts!

On a side note, I really dig the latest version of the magnifying lens (clear fitting, glass lens). It's a good trade-off between magnification and lens diameter.

What is the magnification on the new mag glass?
I prefer the old grey housing one for its 8x magnification, while on the other side, I really like the looks of the transparent housing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:17:47 PM by microbe »
@blackdiamonds_42

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #800 on: December 15, 2018, 12:23:11 PM

I prefer the old grey housing one for its 8x magnification, while on the other side, I really like the looks of the transparent housing.

The current version is 6x according to the wiki.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #801 on: December 15, 2018, 12:42:37 PM

The current version is 6x according to the wiki.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sticking with the gray housed old ones :-)
@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #802 on: December 15, 2018, 07:20:30 PM
My Explorer has the new glass magnifier. The wider field of view is welcome for reading fine print and I find 6x magnification sufficient.

The only negatives are the flimsy-feeling housing and that the lens can occasionally come out and perhaps get lost. My used Explorer came with the lens loose in the package. It was easy to pop back in, though, and I haven't been able to pop it out again. A couple of tiny dabs of epoxy would secure it for keeps.

Still, I use the excellent magnifying app on my phone much more as I don't carry my Explorer.
Rambler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #803 on: December 16, 2018, 04:12:37 PM
I'll be carrying my ruby Explorer today.  Whats funny is I think many of us have made use of our phones camera zoom to sees things better  :rofl:

Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #804 on: December 17, 2018, 08:21:44 AM

My Explorer has the new glass magnifier. The wider field of view is welcome for reading fine print and I find 6x magnification sufficient.
The only negatives are the flimsy-feeling housing and that the lens can occasionally come out and perhaps get lost. My used Explorer came with the lens loose in the package. It was easy to pop back in, though, and I haven't been able to pop it out again. A couple of tiny dabs of epoxy would secure it for keeps.

That's exactly why I like the latest magnifier @Sawl Goodman. Sure, the higher magnification of the old grey magnifier is better if you need things really up close. But the slightly lower magnificatioin (6x instead of 8x) and the wider lens diameter both add to the field of view and make it very comfortable to use.
I wouldn't want to trade my grey ones, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the latest one.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #805 on: December 18, 2018, 10:20:34 PM
 :mail:

My new Explorer arrived today.   :tu:

After carrying exclusively 2-layer SAKs for the past couple of weeks, the Explorer feels big. Even so, It feels good in hand.

I do like the tool set (this one has a hook  :ahhh). I like the magnifier, too. Powerful enough to focus on fine print, decent field of view (for a small lens). I don't think I'd want a stronger glass at the moment.

It's quite possible this SAK could become a regular EDC SAK for me now. I always thought I preferred the Huntsman or Fieldmaster, but the Explorer is winning me over straightaway.  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #806 on: December 18, 2018, 10:31:09 PM
Glad to see you got it in today! Looks good! Enjoy!  :like: :tu:  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #807 on: December 18, 2018, 10:41:03 PM
Thanks, Ray.   :cheers:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #808 on: December 18, 2018, 10:57:22 PM
I'm carrying this one every day now for the last couple of weeks. It is a bit bulky, but got used to this pretty fast.
Also carried a Huntsman, but I just couldn't justify why on earth I was carrying a saw. In al those years, never used it once.
But with this, only thing missing is a nail file.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #809 on: December 18, 2018, 10:58:22 PM
I'd rather have a nail file tool than the small blade.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41