Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89871

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #840 on: February 02, 2019, 04:27:39 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #841 on: February 02, 2019, 07:57:28 PM
I appreciate Explorers!  I got another one in yesterday! ('12+ copy)

I have most, if not all of the major iterations of them, including a c.'73 clip point (sellers pic):

Hoffritz and black spring to boot. Less than perfect copies make for excellent mod fodder and are very reasonably price for their toolset.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #842 on: February 03, 2019, 05:12:29 AM
That is indeed a nice Explorer  :like:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #843 on: February 03, 2019, 08:05:20 AM
That is indeed a nice Explorer  :like:

:iagree: :cheers: Thank you Sir SirVicaLot!  :salute: It's certainly one of my favorites!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Kraken

Reply #844 on: February 06, 2019, 09:13:55 PM
The Explorer Plus was a nice surprise for me.  I bought mine off fleabay as just an Explorer.  I was very pleasantly surprised when it arrived.  I had wanted this SAK after reading up on the different models and when I got it in hand I was not disappointed at all.  It quickly dominated pocket time.  The inline phillips is really what sets this SAK apart.  Heck any SAK with the inline phillips is a win. 

My Explorer over the years has had to sit out from time to time in favor of my Swisschamp and a variety of other SAKs I was trying out.  It has never sat for very long or ever got placed into the SAK drawer.  There is just to much to like about the Explorer if you can do the layers.  Mine lives in my Skinth and my older one in my hike pack.  These are go to tools when I don't want to have to decide what to bring.  Having my Explorer with me is like having a trusted friend.  I know what it can and cannot do ( which is very little ).  The addition of the plus scales are nice and the mini driver just adds to the utility of this wonderful SAK.  I dream sometimes that VIC would make an 84mm version someday.  Until then the Explorer will always be one of my most favorite SAKs.

:iagree: Well said Aloha! Just this morning I switched my work SAK back to an Explorer from a Deluxe Tinker. The backside Phillips failed to get the job done one too many times; the T-handle design limits where I can use it and you really can't put too much torque on it without risking damage to the knife. Also, I didn't use the pliers on the DT as much as I thought, so it sits in a box while my old Explorer gets a change of scales and a mini driver and put to use while I'm at work.  I have an Explorer Plus that is my EDC and I have a hard time thinking about every carrying anything else because it covers all of my bases.
Semper Fortis

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #845 on: March 05, 2019, 04:43:25 PM
Today felt like an explorer day.....

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #846 on: March 05, 2019, 04:55:45 PM
Today felt like an explorer day.....

(Image removed from quote.)

Flippin 'eck! That GEC's lovely!  :drool:

I'm going to have to dig mine out now... (runs off)...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #847 on: March 05, 2019, 04:58:35 PM
Flippin 'eck! That GEC's lovely!  :drool:

I'm going to have to dig mine out now... (runs off)...
Don't run with that blade ou......... dials 999 Hello? Ambulance please
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #848 on: March 05, 2019, 05:03:16 PM
Don't run with that blade ou......... dials 999 Hello? Ambulance please

Mags... The chances of it happening a secon____________________

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #849 on: March 05, 2019, 08:48:26 PM
 :facepalm:
Barry

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #850 on: March 05, 2019, 10:08:00 PM
Inspired by Nix's latest acquisition...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #851 on: March 05, 2019, 11:31:59 PM
 :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #852 on: March 05, 2019, 11:33:10 PM
Oh yeah  8)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #853 on: March 06, 2019, 01:33:53 AM
Nice!!
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #854 on: March 06, 2019, 01:53:52 AM
Nice play on the knives!  :tu:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #855 on: March 06, 2019, 02:30:59 AM
Did someone say Explorer's?  I can't live without mine (the three amigo's) and even though I try others, I always come back to the Explorer!  Usually carry the one in the middle with Ruby Plus scales!  ;)
Explorers_set_122918.jpg
* Explorers_set_122918.jpg (Filesize: 123.39 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #856 on: March 06, 2019, 02:48:03 AM
Did someone say Explorer's?  I can't live without mine (the three amigo's) and even though I try others, I always come back to the Explorer!  Usually carry the one in the middle with Ruby Plus scales!  ;)
Nice selection!  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #857 on: March 06, 2019, 03:32:34 AM
:like:
I've got SilverTech scales on the Explorer I carry(when not doing challenges). I'm also an Explorer only guy(as far as carry saks go) :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #858 on: March 06, 2019, 04:49:20 AM
Nice trio, Sir Mike.

Mine is my first. And I'm becoming a fan.   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #859 on: March 06, 2019, 04:50:11 AM
I've got SilverTech scales on the Explorer I carry(when not doing challenges). I'm also an Explorer only guy(as far as carry saks go) :cheers:

There is something very cool about Silver Tech scales.   :tu:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #860 on: March 06, 2019, 04:52:29 AM
Nice selection!  :tu:

Thanks!

Nice!  I like the Silvertech scales!  I also have the White Tech/Snow style scales (not sure what they are called) but I don't have another Explorer to put them on!  Of course since we have quite a few feet of snow here, white scales may not be the best idea!  :)

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #861 on: March 06, 2019, 04:54:34 AM
Nice trio, Sir Mike.

Thanks!  There is just something about the Explorer and its tool set that just works for me!  I like the inline philips alot and it fits in places where the back philips or MT bit philip setups can't get into!
 :tu:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #862 on: March 06, 2019, 05:26:19 AM
Those looks awesome especially that green one

Only Tools Matters

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #863 on: March 06, 2019, 05:47:29 AM
Indeed! :cheers:
I put SilverTech on the Champ XLT also. The Explorer wears them better though. :)

Nice trio, Sir Mike.

Glad you're liking your first exploration into that particular model. :)

Thanks!

Nice!  I like the Silvertech scales!  I also have the White Tech/Snow style scales (not sure what they are called) but I don't have another Explorer to put them on!  Of course since we have quite a few feet of snow here, white scales may not be the best idea!  :)

You'd get frost bite trying to find it! :ahhh
But, the Snow scales would look awesome on the Explorer.

They really do have a "look". Almost like they are what Vic should have as standard scales in the 21st century. I like the traditional red, but the SilverTech would look more relevant these days. IMO of course.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #864 on: June 16, 2019, 01:50:08 PM
Bumping the Explorer thread with some Oak scale damasteel
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #865 on: June 16, 2019, 02:56:13 PM
Nice shot, microbe.  :like:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #866 on: June 16, 2019, 03:10:37 PM
Nice shot, microbe.  :like:

Thanks Nix.  :cheers:
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #867 on: June 16, 2019, 03:23:18 PM
Barry

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #868 on: June 18, 2019, 02:57:33 PM
So I've been seriously looking into the Explorer model lately. As much as I hate to admit it, the magnifier is quickly becoming indispensable to me. I've gotten old enough now that my bifocals just aren't cutting it for certain jobs anymore, and it's time to end the strategic placement of magnifying glasses throughout my home.

Since I've been carrying the Warthog Swisschamp, the magnifier has become a companion to me, allowing me to do tons of little jobs that I often just gave up on or settled for botching up. The Phillips screwdriver has also proven to be absurdly handy. But........  I have a feeling that once the dog days of summer arrive, and the daytime heat grows to sweltering, that the SwissChamp may feel a little too heavy and bulky. So logically speaking, the Explorer is the model to move down to, as the Yeoman is no longer available.

But what is it with used Explorers? I've bought tons of used Swiss Army knives over the years, and all have been pretty much in new condition, hardy used. Other than some scratches in the scales, they clean up quite nicely. But I bought two used Explorers maybe ten or 15 years back, and both have some serious use on them. Once has two worn and scratched up blades. One has kinks in the blades and tools. I just bought another used Explorer last week, really wanting that old style glass magnifier, and I can't even describe the damage to the main blade. It looks like the nail nick side of the blade had a dremel taken to it. So strange.  I just ordered another last night, hoping to strike gold this time.

Does the Explorer just invite a harder life than other models, or have I just gotten totally unlucky thus far?
--
'Buzz

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #869 on: June 18, 2019, 05:01:18 PM
My Plus scale Explorer

So I've been seriously looking into the Explorer model lately. As much as I hate to admit it, the magnifier is quickly becoming indispensable to me. I've gotten old enough now that my bifocals just aren't cutting it for certain jobs anymore, and it's time to end the strategic placement of magnifying glasses throughout my home.

Since I've been carrying the Warthog Swisschamp, the magnifier has become a companion to me, allowing me to do tons of little jobs that I often just gave up on or settled for botching up. The Phillips screwdriver has also proven to be absurdly handy. But........  I have a feeling that once the dog days of summer arrive, and the daytime heat grows to sweltering, that the SwissChamp may feel a little too heavy and bulky. So logically speaking, the Explorer is the model to move down to, as the Yeoman is no longer available.

But what is it with used Explorers? I've bought tons of used Swiss Army knives over the years, and all have been pretty much in new condition, hardy used. Other than some scratches in the scales, they clean up quite nicely. But I bought two used Explorers maybe ten or 15 years back, and both have some serious use on them. Once has two worn and scratched up blades. One has kinks in the blades and tools. I just bought another used Explorer last week, really wanting that old style glass magnifier, and I can't even describe the damage to the main blade. It looks like the nail nick side of the blade had a dremel taken to it. So strange.  I just ordered another last night, hoping to strike gold this time.

Does the Explorer just invite a harder life than other models, or have I just gotten totally unlucky thus far?

Maybe the name "Explorer" invites people to go all out on them? Like a subconscious nudge..
@blackdiamonds_42

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44