Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89857

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #90 on: March 18, 2013, 06:22:19 AM
That's a nice one :tu:  I like the black magnifier :drool:
K-Tibbs

us Offline rickinFL

Reply #91 on: March 18, 2013, 11:39:45 AM

Me too.  How was that done, RIT?

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #92 on: March 18, 2013, 01:27:03 PM

Me too.  How was that done, RIT?

I'm not sure how it was done.

I will ask the maker today.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #93 on: March 24, 2013, 05:02:03 AM
Here's my Explorer;D

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1364097615573.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1364097615573.jpg (Filesize: 36.09 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1364097637860.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1364097637860.jpg (Filesize: 53.12 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1364097714811.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1364097714811.jpg (Filesize: 35.56 KB)
K-Tibbs

tr Offline TurkTeen

• Meet The Youngster: 13 Years Old and SAK Collector
Reply #94 on: March 24, 2013, 01:31:24 PM
I will hopefully order a Plus version from Amazon sometime  :D

If the seller runs out of stock, then I will order one with regular scales from a local website.

^^
I cannot mod.
I cannot trade.
But I can collect.

You have not felt real pain until you have used Tapatalk on a Blackberry...

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #95 on: March 24, 2013, 06:34:50 PM
I'm still carrying mine every day.  I love this knife. 

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using crapatalk two point oh.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #96 on: March 24, 2013, 06:57:05 PM
That clip works great for my jeans, but not as well in my work pants.  It's just a bit too long I think.  It still works, but the Explorer just touches the bottom of the pocket.  It's good enough though until I can bother to get a smaller one.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

K-Tibbs

us Offline xdalaw

Reply #97 on: March 26, 2013, 11:44:44 AM
Couldn't resist:  just bought a nice, new, black Explorer on Ebay last night.  (Very much an impulse purchase.)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #98 on: March 26, 2013, 03:49:17 PM
Couldn't resist:  just bought a nice, new, black Explorer on Ebay last night.  (Very much an impulse purchase.)
I'm sure you'll get years of enjoyment from it  :tu:
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #99 on: March 26, 2013, 06:50:35 PM

I don't think you will regret it.  It's one of the best SAKs as far as I'm concerned, and black makes it that much nicer 8)  Enjoy Andrew :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline xdalaw

Reply #100 on: March 26, 2013, 07:45:49 PM
Thanks, Guys.  I'm sure I will. 

Monrogue, it was the pictures of your's with Black handles that drove me over the edge.  ;)

Now, I must keep repeating:  "I will not buy another knife until I NEED one.  I will not buy another knife until I NEED one..."

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #101 on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:58 PM
Haha, glad my pics helped to act as an enabler for you ;)  Oh, and good luck sticking to the idea of not buying another one until you need it.  I've found that many of us here seem to always "need" another MT/SAK ;) :pok:
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #102 on: March 26, 2013, 08:05:36 PM
Haha, glad my pics helped to act as an enabler for you ;)  Oh, and good luck sticking to the idea of not buying another one until you need it.  I've found that many of us here seem to always "need" another MT/SAK ;) :pok:
And that "need" never goes away because there are so many models and colours to choose from.  I'm constantly browsing Ebay for "Victorinox" drooling away  :drool:  :D
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #103 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:13 PM
And that "need" never goes away because there are so many models and colours to choose from.  I'm constantly browsing Ebay for "Victorinox" drooling away  :drool:  :D

Yup, me too ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: March 26, 2013, 10:43:54 PM
I was contemplating buying a new explorer for my April tool purchase, but I found a good price on a Swiss Champ via Amazon, so I'm going to buy a Champ, and pare it down to be an Explorer plus an extra layer or two.  Not sure what yet though.

I want to make a Woodsman, one of Vic's discontinued models, which is an Explorer with a saw.  I also would really like to have an Explorer with pliers, as I think that's the most logical extra layer to add to one.  I suppose I could do both the saw and pliers, but I'm not sure I want to add two extra layers.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: March 27, 2013, 01:02:55 AM
I think the woodsman is an excellent tool layout. I have been thinking that a woodsman and skeletool cx might be a good combination. The cx would give a good driver, locking knife, and pliers. The woodsman would have all the tools. This would be a much lighter option than my wave. Then again, I don't really care about weight.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #106 on: March 27, 2013, 02:05:02 AM
This would be a much lighter option than my wave.

Actually it's not lighter. The Skeletool is listed at 5oz on the Leatherman site. The Explorer is listed as 3.5 oz. Added together, they equal the weight of a Wave (8.5oz). There's no weight listed on the Woodsman, but it's more than theExplorer, since it adds the saw layer.

If you mean Wave+sheath+bitkit... Dunno, you might shave a bit of weight, but nothing spectacular.

Heinz, I found the Explorer a little thicker in hand than I liked. Adding Saw and Plier would be right out for my taste.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: March 27, 2013, 02:09:19 AM
Thanks Lynn I never did the math. It was probably subconsciously in case it was heavier and then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy the skeletool. And one more thing, :facepalm:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #108 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:27 AM
There's also the weird thing where two tools SEEM lighter than the one big tool. Distributed weight or mass versus volume or something weird like that causing a mental trick. Also... any excuse for more tools...
 :whistle:

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: March 27, 2013, 03:11:44 AM
I was thinking a Yeoman with a saw would be pretty cool.  Still not sure about doing the mod though. 

I honestly don't need the Woodsman's tool layout; a saw is pretty much useless to me for EDC.

However, an Explorer with a pliers layer would be a LOT more useful for me personally, or even a Yeoman Mechanic (Yeoman with pliers).
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #110 on: March 27, 2013, 03:34:04 AM
I was thinking a Yeoman with a saw would be pretty cool.  Still not sure about doing the mod though. 

I honestly don't need the Woodsman's tool layout; a saw is pretty much useless to me for EDC.

However, an Explorer with a pliers layer would be a LOT more useful for me personally, or even a Yeoman Mechanic (Yeoman with pliers).

I am actually thinking that whenever I can manage to get my Yeoman made from my Compact and Explorer, I may want to add a metal saw/file to it.  The only problem with that is the fact that it will make it the same thickness as the Explorer, which I think is just a bit too thick for my liking.  In that case, I would have to sacrifice a layer.  I am thinking it would have to be the scissors, but I'm assuming that would mean I would lose the hook w/nail file on it (although that would be fine technically since I would have the full size file added anyway).  So that would make the tool layers as follows:  knife with combo opener, mag/Phillips and metal file.  I know I would have the corkscrew as a backspring tool, but I don't know what else would be left.  On the Explorer, the mag/Phillips layer has no backspring tool, and I don't know if the metal file allows one.  I would hope to have the awl there. 
K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: March 27, 2013, 03:40:27 AM

I am actually thinking that whenever I can manage to get my Yeoman made from my Compact and Explorer, I may want to add a metal saw/file to it.  The only problem with that is the fact that it will make it the same thickness as the Explorer, which I think is just a bit too thick for my liking.  In that case, I would have to sacrifice a layer.  I am thinking it would have to be the scissors, but I'm assuming that would mean I would lose the hook w/nail file on it (although that would be fine technically since I would have the full size file added anyway).  So that would make the tool layers as follows:  knife with combo opener, mag/Phillips and metal file.  I know I would have the corkscrew as a backspring tool, but I don't know what else would be left.  On the Explorer, the mag/Phillips layer has no backspring tool, and I don't know if the metal file allows one.  I would hope to have the awl there.
You'd lose the awl/reamer by removing the openers layer for the Yeoman, so it wouldn't be there to lose in the first place if making a Yeoman with a file. 

I agree that four layers would be a bit much for pocket carry though, so it really depends on what tools you need/want most. 

I've been seriously thinking about making a Cyber Compact actually.  Not having the mag-glass would be a drag, but the bit driver layer would more than make up for the loss of the inline phillips, as well as the large and small flathead drivers on the ends of the openers.  It'd be three layers, albeit a bit fat for three layers because of the bit driver layer, but it would be as close to a perfect pocket SAK for my needs for EDC as I could get.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #112 on: March 27, 2013, 04:21:55 AM

You'd lose the awl/reamer by removing the openers layer for the Yeoman, so it wouldn't be there to lose in the first place if making a Yeoman with a file. 

I agree that four layers would be a bit much for pocket carry though, so it really depends on what tools you need/want most. 

I've been seriously thinking about making a Cyber Compact actually.  Not having the mag-glass would be a drag, but the bit driver layer would more than make up for the loss of the inline phillips, as well as the large and small flathead drivers on the ends of the openers.  It'd be three layers, albeit a bit fat for three layers because of the bit driver layer, but it would be as close to a perfect pocket SAK for my needs for EDC as I could get.

That would be perfect for me too. I would like a layer with the awl and main blade, scissors and cyber bits.  It would be even better if there was a way to put the mag glass in without making it four layers!  :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #113 on: March 27, 2013, 06:03:33 AM

Do you know if the file layer allows for a backspring tool?  That Cyber Compact sounds cool :tu:
K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: March 27, 2013, 06:11:01 AM
Do you know if the file layer allows for a backspring tool?  That Cyber Compact sounds cool :tu:
Only a few models come with a backside tool on the file layer, and I think one of them is the Ranger/Craftsman.  I think it's the mini-chisel tool that comes on the backside of the file, but not sure though, as I haven't had a Ranger in many years.  To get what you want, you'd have to get one of those as a donor to get a spring that allows a backside tool for the file, and you might be able to make a reamer fit in that spot, but you'd have to ask Steven or Syph to find out for sure.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #115 on: March 27, 2013, 06:28:58 AM
Only a few models come with a backside tool on the file layer, and I think one of them is the Ranger/Craftsman.  I think it's the mini-chisel tool that comes on the backside of the file, but not sure though, as I haven't had a Ranger in many years.  To get what you want, you'd have to get one of those as a donor to get a spring that allows a backside tool for the file, and you might be able to make a reamer fit in that spot, but you'd have to ask Steven or Syph to find out for sure.

I have been considering getting a Mountaineer, but that's also a 4-layer SAK.  Also, it would eventually end up being sacrificed along with the Compact and Explorer to create what I want, so I'm not sure if it's worth buying one as opposed to having Syph supply one for a few extra bucks (or maybe more-not sure what he would charge for a file, or if he would happen to have one).  I will probably ask him about that at some point soon.  Thanks for all your input Heinz, you've been very helpful :salute: :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #116 on: March 27, 2013, 06:35:22 AM
I just checked out a pic of the Mountaineer, and it appears that the file layer has no backspring tool.  The hook is with the scissors, corkscrew with the knives and awl with the openers.  That complicates things as I don't want there to be only the one backspring tool (corkscrew).  I believe Syph can work his magic to fix that, but not without adding more expense.  I will check with him anyway, but I can't really afford to spend too much on this.  For him to make me the Yeoman out of the Compact and Explorer wasn't going to be too bad, but I know with each added part and extra time for his valuable skills, it's going to add up and quickly become less affordable (especially with a wife watching how much I would spend :o ;))
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #117 on: May 14, 2013, 02:57:45 PM
I'd been missing my Explorer a bit, so I figured I'd give it another try with the pocket clip in my work pants (dressier pants).  It had originally seemed like the clip was too long to work in these type of pants that I wear to work as the Explorer reached the bottom of the pocket.  However, it just barely touches the bottom, and it rides just fine so far from what I can tell.  Perhaps the issue was with whatever else I had in the pocket at the time.  It does fine with my Pioneer sitting in the change pocket.  The clip really does make a big difference with how noticeable a 4 layer SAK is in the pocket.  So anyway, just appreciating my Explorer some more since it was in need of some attention ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Kid33

Reply #118 on: June 09, 2013, 11:22:27 PM

A wise man speaks few words

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #119 on: June 10, 2013, 12:20:06 AM
HAHA that's a great video!  I agree the explorer is a great all round SAK, but I still like pliers too... It's hard to have it all!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85