Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

i have them all...they still dont come close to the swisstool

us Offline carl

Re: i have them all...they still dont come close to the swisstool
Reply #60 on: March 26, 2008, 12:25:49 AM
The Swisstool , and its little bro the Spirit would be the be all end all if they had a one hand openable blade . Thats the main reason I use my Waves , Charges etc.

Chris
The one-hand opener is great but the price to pay for that liner lock is:  much wider handles, heavier, less tools overall.  I also don't think the other tools will open outwards.  You'll notice with the wave/charge, most tools still open inward.  Actually, I take that back because the Flik has all tools opening outward plus one-hand opener main blades if I'm not mistaken.  that may be the way to go for you.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #61 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:47 AM
The Swisstool , and its little bro the Spirit would be the be all end all if they had a one hand openable blade . Thats the main reason I use my Waves , Charges etc.

Chris
The one-hand opener is great but the price to pay for that liner lock is:  much wider handles, heavier, less tools overall.  I also don't think the other tools will open outwards.  You'll notice with the wave/charge, most tools still open inward.  Actually, I take that back because the Flik has all tools opening outward plus one-hand opener main blades if I'm not mistaken.  that may be the way to go for you.
Thats the way I feel about my Charges, the OH blades are great, but it's so wide and covered in hot spot's ::)

Give me a sleek, tool filled Swisstool anyday :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 26, 2008, 06:25:53 PM
The existing locking system is more than fine , I would just like a blade shaped like the PE OHT . Your points about the Leatherman wasting space is very valid . but the tool I always need in a hurry when Im up a ladder seems to be a plain edged blade .

Chris

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #63 on: March 26, 2008, 07:00:33 PM
Quite alot of people , myself included carry a knife and a multitool.That way you can have the best of both worlds . While my Swisstool carry hardly ever changes my knife does depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing .

Dunc

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: March 27, 2008, 03:35:33 AM
Dunc , ya got a good point . You are prolly better of with a Swiss tool , and something like a Spyderco . Horses for courses !

Chris

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 12:40:36 AM
hi , I thought I would throw in my two cents. I own 8 swiss tools and over fifty swiss knives. I carry leatherman more often though. my charge came with extra bits, has more screwdriver options than the swiss tool CS plus and the biggie is that the pliers open wider. I work in a shop and there was acuople times i went to adjust a piece of equipment and the swiss tool would not fit but I had used the wave or charge to adjust it a few days before. neither tool is better to me, it just depends on the application.

us Offline carl

Reply #66 on: March 31, 2008, 06:39:05 AM
the tool I always need in a hurry when Im up a ladder seems to be a plain edged blade .

Chris
A fixed blade seems like the way to go in that case.  no one-handed opening, just pull it out of its sheath and its ready to go.

Offline Carthas

Reply #67 on: March 31, 2008, 10:00:56 AM
It's interesting that the debate seems to be between Leatherman and Victorinox. Most people seem to toally overlook Gerber and Sog when it comes to "Which tool is best".

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #68 on: March 31, 2008, 11:13:58 AM
It's interesting that the debate seems to be between Leatherman and Victorinox. Most people seem to toally overlook Gerber and Sog when it comes to "Which tool is best".

just my opinion;
Leatherman started it all and have been working hard (IMO) to stay near/at the top.

Victorinox had the SAKs and came in later (MT) and brought some nice swiss quality to the game.

Sog is really good, their geared pliers really stand out but they weren't as comfortable in the hand and I think it hurt them.

Gerber....is Gerber, many problems (plastic) and pinching and many people think they sold out (outsourcing with quality control) but they are fun.

It may just be good marketing on LM and Vics part, but your right.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #69 on: March 31, 2008, 11:37:41 AM

Gerber....is Gerber, many problems (plastic) and pinching and many people think they sold out (outsourcing with quality control) but they are fun.

Get a decent Gerber and I assure you it will change your opinion on them. ;)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #70 on: March 31, 2008, 08:16:32 PM
Yeah Gerber have come on a long way recently, They've a long way to go before there at Vic's level, but there good workman like tools :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #71 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:01 PM

Get a decent Gerber and I assure you it will change your opinion on them. ;)

Trouble is now, when you say Gerber most people think of the cheaper tools that the supermarkets get flooded with (Resolve/Suspension/Crux etc) because they are in your face. unfortunately not so many people see the USA side of things like the MP400/MP600 which are good tools... not as good as Vic and LM but still do the job without much fuss.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD