Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

a pair of Aitors

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
a pair of Aitors
on: February 09, 2013, 08:06:51 PM
So... there is an argument to be made that this could be better in the knife section, but I aim to demonstrate this is the right place. :)

I spent an expensive but productive morning today, which included getting an Aitor JKI and JKII. I had to haggle on the price, didn't get as low as I wanted but it was much lower than we started and lower than MSRP. I've wanted these since I was a kid. They are respective one of these http://www.knifeworks.com/aitora026skeletalgut-hookskinnerjki.aspx and one of these http://www.knifeworks.com/aitora022skeletalgut-hookskinnerjkii.aspx for those not familiar with them.

I class them as one piece tools because they have the blade, gut hook, can/bottle opener, wrench and for the larger JKII has a screwdriver/pry tip. This is much more versatility than you find on a typical neck knife or small fixed blade. Even the gut hook which has often been questioned has an urban uses- striping wire, cutting cord, ripping through plastic clamshell, anything you need a small, sharp blade. The only problem is that the wrenches need a Kydex sheath to be useful, as without it the number of ways it is a bad idea can be easily counted by seeing how many stitches you have. And honestly, the standard sheath sucks.

So... first, they must be sharpenned. Then I'll have to get some kydex and make sheaths for them. That will put the larger into the same category as the Buck Paklite but with great versatility, and the smaller one, despite having a shorter cutting edge, is much the same size as the Ka-bar Acheron and takes the Ka-bar entry's lunch money in terms of usability and grip. The only real downside that isn't really correctable is that they are a bit thin, like the others, but without loosing the useability of the wrench you can't wrap them with cord or make scales for it.

The little one is going to be a PSK knife, while the larger will be in rotation with my Paklites.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: a pair of Aitors
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:25:11 PM
THose links don't work for me but I know what tools you're talking about. I never was a fan on the design. Something about using the knife blade as a tool handle. :D Even with proper shielding it still seems wrong. :shrug: 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%