Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Warranty Repair

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Leatherman Warranty Repair
on: August 29, 2006, 12:27:04 PM
On Saturday I sent a letter off to the Canadian representative for Leatherman's repair service regarding a broken tool.  I have not yet heard back from them, but I will keep everyone apprised of my successes, or lack thereof.
My Leatherman Supertool has a broken flathead and a mangled eyeglass screwdriver.  It's an original SuperTool, and in case anyone thinks I am trying to take advantage of LM's warranty service, I am actually doing a favor for someone else.  I traded my pristine orginal ST for his beat up, well used one so I he wouldn't be without a tool while it was being repaired.  I thought it would be interesting for everyone here to see how well Leatherman's Warranty Service works out.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Warranty Repair
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:07:17 PM
Still no response... I was hoping to do this incogneto, but maybe I should try calling them... I have a contact in LM...
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:21:25 PM
Still nothing, but remember, I sent the email to an authorized repair center, not to Leatherman themselves.
Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 10:08:38 PM
I got this letter today:

Dear Grant:

Our Warranty Department would be happy to assess your Leatherman tool.  Please ship the tool only to the address below (we recommend insurance when shipping), and include a letter detailing the issue and the circumstances surrounding it, along with your full return address. The only cost to you is shipping to us.  We repair/replace and ship back at our expense.  Please allow 15 business days for service.  A receipt is not necessary.

Our highly skilled staff will perform any repairs covered by our warranty.  If the issue is covered by our warranty, but we cannot effectively repair your Leatherman tool, we will replace it with a refurbished tool of equal or greater value. 

Thanks for your inquiry. 

Diana Dwyer

Canadian Leatherman Repair Depot

I'll send it off in th enext day or two and keep everyone informed.
Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 01:58:34 PM
I haven't sent it off yet because it's been an odd week.  Having a holiday really messes up the rest of the week for me, but I will send it out Monday morning, along with Bob's package that I have also forgotten to mail!
Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 02:18:21 PM
The original Leatherman Supertool is one of my favorites.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if they just replaced your damaged Supertool with a Crunch to save themselves the repair costs.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 02:26:37 PM
That is possible, but I am also sending them this letter:

Grant Lamontagne
9A Bolton Terrace
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
B2Y 2Z2
(902) 233-8888

Dear Diana,

I sent you an email a week or so ago regarding repairs to this original Super Tool, and you requested information on how it got broken.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how it got broken, as it wasn’t my Super Tool.

One of my clients has had this tool for about ten years, and in that time he has used it for almost everything- just what a multitool is meant for when you get right down to it.  He has carried it so much, he wore out the original sheath, then drilled out the sheath’s rivets, laid the bits of leather out on new leather and handmade his own replacement Leatherman style sheath.  While walking through the printing plant where he works, I instantly noticed the sheath and asked him about it.  One thing led to another, and soon we were discussing many different brands and styles of tools.  I showed him a few different tools that I had in my collection ( I wore a different one each time I knew I would be near his plant) and eventually explained to him that he should send his poor old broken Super Tool in to be repaired.  Unfortunately, this meant that the poor guy would be tool-less for an undetermined amount of time, and, well, we couldn’t have that!  The next time I was by his plant, I brought with me my own absolutely mint condition original Super Tool (valuable to a collector like me!) and traded him “straight up” for his broken one.

So, I was wondering what would be involved in getting this one repaired and back to him, before his daughters who gave him the tool in the first place realize that he’s carrying an imposter.  Funny enough, he was very intrigued by the Juice models and is now planning to get one for each his daughters, wife and grandson (if Mom & Dad say it’s ok!) for Christmas.  I think it was the small size and bright colors that really attracted his attention.

At any rate, that’s as much of the story as I have.  The flathead screwdrivers are broken, the serrated blade has been ground down almost to a plain edge and one of the handles is extremely loose.  I will leave it up to you and the technical folks to decide what needs to be done with it.  If you have any questions, please feel free to either e-mail me at info@def-it.com or call me at (902) 233-8888 anytime.

Thanks for your time,

Grant G. Lamontagne

I hope this makes a difference, but if it doesn't, the guy who has my Super Tool will happily trade me for whatever new one I get back.
Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 02:33:00 PM
I've never used Leatherman's warranty service. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Please give us an update when you receive the tool back.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 03:57:49 PM
I did the same thing a while back with Victorinox's warranty service in SOSAK and folks found it very helpful.  I am hoping that Leatherman's will be just as smooth.
Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 08:38:03 PM
I got a package from Leatherman today- or rather their Canadian representatives.  It had in it a brand spankin new original SuperTool, complete with the sticker on the side.  No box or sheath though, as I didn't send those in.
11 days, round trip.  Can't argue with that!
Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 01:37:54 AM

A brand new original Super Tool?! I wasn't expecting that. I figured you would get a Super Tool 200, or whatever they decided the current equivelent is.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 01:53:18 AM
Kinda makes you wonder what other little goodies they have lying around huh?  ;D

I looked at all the tools, and either they replaced them all- remember this was a hard worked tool- or they gave me a new one.  I can't imagine that it would be cost effective to remove the rivets, remove all the blades, replace the rivets on both the tool end and the plier ends (the old one was also very loose) and so on, so I imagine it's a new tool.  If it's refurbished, it's a darned good job.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 02:16:58 AM

Kinda makes you wonder what other little goodies they have lying around huh?  ;D

You absolutely read my mind.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 02:35:01 AM
Read it?  I think I wrote it!   >:D

I had a similar idea a while back when a SOSAK member sent a discontinued model in for repair and got a brand new discontinued model back.

Def

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 12:12:03 AM
WOW Def, thats awesome service and if it has the sticker on the side I would venture a guess its a whole new tool!
You can't beat that for service..........I hear some real horror stories about Gerbers warranty which would help to explain why L'Man is still number 1 in the multi business and why Vic has done so well also.
I wonder how SOGS warranty is, since I don't even know anyone who ones one or very rarely see them for sale it would be interesting to find out what their warranty is like.
Last time I noticed some SOGS for sale was in a Tool Store in Kamloops and they had both SOG and Leatherman......put it this way......there was a half inch of dust on the Sogs and I wasn't thinking of buying a SOG....now I wish I had asked about them :cry:, they would have probably given me a deal just to sell one. :o

Kap ;)
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 12:40:42 AM
Yeah I figured it was a new one too.  Tools nowadays are such a competative market that it all comes down to customer service.  It's not hard to make a decent tool (although you wouldn't know that from all the crappy tools out there!) so the manufacturers have to keep on top of customer demand and service, or be swallowed up by those who will.
I have to say, I had some concerns about sending it in, but they have all been laid to rest.  I wouldn't hesitate to contact them again with any issues.
Def

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 12:23:59 AM
Hi,
I know this topic is an old one, but I want to share my Leatherman warranty experience with everybody.

Here goes. I bought my Leatherman PST (pliers in your pocket) in 1991 from an ad in one of the outdoor magazines. I think it was outdoor life or Backpacker, but I forget which one. I used the tool regulary, carried it on my belt (wore out the original leather sheath) and in my pocket just about every where. About a month ago the screw that holds one side of the pilers to the handle broke. I was putting way too much force on the tool when it broke.

I sent it back to LM asking if they could repair the tool. I figured it would just be a simple matter of replacing the screw, and nut then returning my tool. I was surprised when a couple weeks later LM sent me a brand new tool. I mean my tool had 15 years of honest wear, and tear, but no abuse. I kept it sharp, and well oiled. The handles were loose, but surely they could have tightened them up easily. Instead, they sent me a new tool that's exactly like the old one with more robust pliers.

You can't beat the Leatherman warranty. It reminds me of the Craftsman tool warranty that if it fails just return it with no questions asked. I was very impressed.

Ultimately I decided the old tool was a little outdated. I knew I would have to buy another Leatherman for the quality, and customer service. I bought a Charge Ti. The Charge will probaly last me the rest of my life.

I do have a question. Since my original tool was 15 years old when I sent it in, does that mean that the replacement tool LM sent me will only have the balance of the original tools warranty, which is about 10 years, or does the replacement get a new full 25 year warranty?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 01:06:57 AM
That I really can't say... it is, as usual, up to Leatherman's discretion, but as you've seen, I think you can have faith that Leatherman will do their best to look after their customers.

It's worth alot more to Leatherman to go out of their way to replace a tool for a loyal customer (the actual cost of a tool to them is probably less than I spend on lunch every day!) than the tool itself is worth.  They couldn't buy the kind of endorsement that you have shared with everyone.  Well, I suppose they could (and in a way, did!) but you get my meaning.  Companies are now starting to understand that customer service, especially nowadays, is paramount.  Ten years ago, no one looked ot the internet for independant reviews like the ones on this site, and so companies could get away with a little more.  Nowadays, not only can the average person, with a little digging, contact the heads of companies, but they can also register any issues with the product on a site like this or epinions.com where hundreds, if not thousands of people will see it and the company image would be tarnished.

Of course, Leatherman is one of those companies that struck me as the kind of place that recognized the value of a satisfied customer right from the beginning.  After all, Tim Leatherman would still be stuck at the side of a road somewhere in Europe if it weren't for good quality tools that could be relied on!

Def

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 05:12:51 AM
..... I do have a question. Since my original tool was 15 years old when I sent it in, does that mean that the replacement tool LM sent me will only have the balance of the original tools warranty, which is about 10 years, or does the replacement get a new full 25 year warranty?

My understanding of the Leatherman warranty period is that it's 25 years from the date of purchase.  If you don't have your receipt then the warranty is 25 years from the most recent date stamped inside the handles.

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 04:02:48 AM
Spunkyruss,
The replacement tool that Leatherman sent me has no date stamp inside the handles. I think my old one had 0601, and 0901, but I'm not positive on those numbers. I know the two numbers didn't match.

Also since we're talking numbers, my new Charge Ti that I bought recently from Wal-mart has 0404 marked in each handle. I would think that Wal-mart sells as many if not more tools than any other retailer, so I was surprised that the date marks were not more current. Maybe LM just ran off a billion tools in 0404 and that's the newest markings?

Hurricane Bob

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 04:24:17 AM
Spunkyruss,
The replacement tool that Leatherman sent me has no date stamp inside the handles..........

Really? That seems odd. The old old PST's from the 1980's had no date stamps, but I think you mentioned somewhere that your replacement tool had "beefier pliers." (I think?) The new plier head wasn't issued until around 2000. All Leatherman tools were being date stamped by then.

Most curious.

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 05:08:06 AM
The lack of any dates stamped in the replacement tool is very curious indeed.  Hurricane Bob could found the stamps on his original Leatherman, so I believe he would find them on the replacement if they were there.

I don't know how long it takes Leatherman to finish and ship a tool after the handles are made and stamped with the date.  I think that the Charge first appeared on shelves in the fall of 2004, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did just run off an obscene number of Charge handles in the spring of 2004.  The relative complexity of the current Leathermans, combined with their successful marketing, probably dictate very long term production planning.

I know that I have one Leatherman with two date stamps that are many months apart.  I think that my Mini-Tool's stamps are 8 or 10 months apart. 

The differences in dates on individual Leatherman tools might make an interesting thread.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 12:10:28 PM
Perhaps they make it a habit of not issuing replacement tools with stamps on them as a method of telling which ones are replacements, and therefore not eligeable for a full warranty?  Simple things like that are often done by manufacturers as a way to differentiate originals from replacements.

Case in point, I am a big fan of Tilley hats- in fact, it's my trademark at work.  No one recognizes me without my hat, which is kind of amusing.  A few years ago I actually wore out my original Tilley, but the Tilley company replaces them free when they wear out.  For those who don't know, Tilley hats are guaranteed against pretty much everything, and have an excellent reputation for customer serice.  So good in fact, that if you lose it, Tilley will even "split" the cost of a replacement hat with you!  But I am getting off topic- when I needed to replace my hat I called the company and they sent me to the nearest Tilley dealer, who was more than happy to take a new Tilley off the shelf and thrust it into my eager hands.  They then flipped my old Tilley upside down and drew a big "R" on the inside to indicate that it had been replaced, and gave me the old one back as well.  This way I couldn't return in a week or go to another retailer and get another replacement hat, all the while making the customer (me) extremely happy because not only did I get a nice new one, I also got my trusted old partner back.

I'm not sure if that's what happened with Leatherman, but it is a possibility...

Def

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 11:50:33 PM
Guys,
I have the tool right in front of me with all of its blades open, and definitely it doesn't have date stamps in either handle.

The only markings are LEATHERMAN TOOL in the middle of the handles on opposite sides, and in small letters near the end were the blades fold is PORTLAND OR. The pliers say LEATHERMAN TOOL on both sides. The cutting blade says Leatherman.

Maybe it's a refurbished model, but it does look brandnew.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 12:01:33 AM
I wasn't suggesting a refurb- more of a secret stash... after all, I did manage to get a brand spankin new original Super Tool a couple of months ago.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 03:57:57 AM
...........The pliers say LEATHERMAN TOOL on both sides....

The "secret stash" must not be very old: up until just a few years ago, all of the PST plier heads would have been marked LEATHERMAN USA.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 12:14:46 PM
My guess would be that there are only so many around, an that they have been faithfully re-stocking it from time to time to keep up with demand, and as long as supplies last. 

Def

Offline bobofish

Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 08:51:51 AM
I called Leatherman several weeks ago, and among other things, asked if they sold seconds. Since I live in Portland, I thought I could just swing by for a deal.

They don't sell seconds, but the way she said it hinted to me that they might have seconds, just not for sale. For example, maybe the non date stamped tools are seconds. Perfectly good as replacements, but without the original warranty.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 11:35:22 AM
I finally got around to checking the replacement Super Tool I got, but it is stamped.  Of course, I didn;t get it from Leatherman, but their authorized representatives in Canada so maybe that's why...

Def

Offline tet6t8

Reply #29 on: December 25, 2006, 04:37:30 AM
   Kapt Kopter in regard to Gerber service I recently returned 2 Gerber multis. One for a thumb stud that fell off(Gerber Legend) and a entry level Gerber(400 model?) that would stick in the open position. Sent them in with no receipt and only a letter explaining the trouble. Less than 2 weeks later recieved 2 new Gerber tools as replacements. Very good service from Gerber.
     On the flip side I have not found it necessary to use Leatherman service beacuse of the high quality of their tools. My EDC is a Leatherman Charge,and I must have 15 multis from most major manufactures.
     Never be without some brand of Multi within easy reach.
     They are all good. 8) 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD