Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Score!
on: March 01, 2013, 01:43:08 AM
So I just went through the agonizing process of figuring out my next purchase should be a Condor Greenland axe.

Well, I was browsing around the web this afternoon, and found something I didn't think was available anymore.  At least, when I've searched for it via Google Shopping or on Yahoo, my searches always came up empty.

Anyway, I am the proud owner of a BNIB Mora 2000 in "Neverlost" orange!  :D

And, I get to have my cake and eat it too, because I convinced my wife we needed a good hatchet to go with our camping supplies, and she agreed to buying it out of our combined household finances, so I don't have to pay for it personally.  :D

So, as much as I love my little BK14, which I currently have attached to my PSK/hiking pack, I'm going to be replacing it with the new Mora when I get it, to save myself a bit of weight.  The BK14 is going to go to my Adventure Pack instead. 

So this is going to be my first Mora, and I'm really looking forward to getting it.  And that's it for me for March...   :whistle:  My one purchase of a toy, er, uh tool I mean, is the new Mora. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• No Life Club
Re: Score!
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:45:00 AM
Okay, well, lots of views, no comments.  Got the 2000 in the post today.  I'm very impressed!  I never understood before what "Mora sharp" meant, but now I do!   :o  This is easily the sharpest knife out of the box I've ever had.   :tu:

Sorry I can't post pics, but I'm off to go cross-country tomorrow for a few days... I have a job interview at a university in Vermont, and I'm flying from SFO to Logan, and then driving up to VT from there.  I might be able to check in again tomorrow morning, but not sure yet.

See you all next week!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:17 AM

Moras are amazing knives, so sharp and so cheap  :tu:

You just need to square the back off now so you can use it on a ferro rod  ;)
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:46 AM
  Grats on the 2Kth post! Am getting there myself. Took a lot of work.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:50 PM
I've never had a 2000 myself but I have had other Mora knives.  Superb knives for the money. :tu:  Best of luck with the job interview.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:02 PM
Likewise I'm unfamiliar with the 2000, and I'd be interested to hear/see more. I've had/used a Clipper and Miki, and they are superb knives for a very humble cost.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:18:53 PM
Hey guys, just checking in real quick before I finish my travel prep and am off to the other coast...   :whistle:

I'll post some pics of it when I get back, but there are plenty of YT vids of it, and a quick search will pull up some decent ones.

Overall, I'm impressed with the knife.  It's a full 2 oz. lighter than my BK14 with scales and TDI clip.  I know that's not a lot, but I'm continually upgrading/revising my PSK, and over time every bit of weight savings will be helpful. 

Even though I haven't actually used it in the field yet, I can tell it definitely will have some advantages over my BK14, and some weaknesses in comparison as well.  Mainly in terms of how you can use the knife because of the handle shape and geometry... the BK14 lends itself much better to alternate grips.  It's easier to hold different ways that facilitate tasks like scraping, shaving, skinning, and so on.  In fact, I think the two would be a good combination in many ways, but even so, I'm not going to be carrying two smaller fixed blades, even in my regular outdoors kit.  I'll just have to wait and see where each one performs best, and find homes for them in my different packs accordingly.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 06:24:09 PM
Good luck on the interview!   Hurry back so we can see the pics!    :tu:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

no Offline Grathr

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 09:08:54 PM
Good luck with the interview!

I have  several Moras, but not a Mora2000. I will probably get one one day thoug  :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 02:27:54 AM
Okay, here are a few pics.

In this one, you can see where I used some 1" gorilla tape to hold the belt loop down.  This makes it less floppy on the strap of my survival pack, and also gives me an extra 24" or so of tape to use for different things.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 03:27:34 AM
Cool pics!  More!  :poke:

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:00 AM
Great looking knife mate, not to easy to lose either. :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 05:32:36 PM
Great looking knife mate, not to easy to lose either. :D

I'd place 'not easy to lose' as VERY high priority for a woods knife. I like the combination of screaming orange and grippy black rubber. I'd love to own a Mora, but I seriously can't justify the cost considering the amount of woodcraft/hiking I do these days (which would be none).

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 05:56:18 PM
But Lynn, a basic Mora is soooo cheap, it's almost criminal not to own one. :pok:

;)

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 06:20:22 PM
But Lynn, a basic Mora is soooo cheap, it's almost criminal not to own one. :pok:

;)

I've got one of the old frost knives by mora, keeps it's edge and never lets me down

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 06:41:56 PM
 ;)

I know...

And there's a bit of hypocrisy in my statement, since I'm willing to drop $40 on an MT I'd never carry either, so...

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:25 AM
Well, I was skeptical but now I'm a believer!  The Companion F model in orange and black is only $14 on Knifecenter, so I'm going to get a couple more to throw in with our camping gear and emergency prep supplies.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my orange 2000...  excellent blade that cuts like a laser, very ergonomic handle, great visibility, light weight, and a great value.  What's not to like?   :tu:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 03:33:53 PM
Those cheap moras are fantastic. I have a bunch of them stashed around at strategic places, like the car, the garage, kitchen and the toolbox.
I also recently got a Mora 2000 in green as a backup knife for the survival kit and a Mora Classic No1 to have in the backpack for short day trips  (not at all inspired by this thread ::) )

Mora 1.JPG
* Mora 1.JPG (Filesize: 683.04 KB)
Mora 2.JPG
* Mora 2.JPG (Filesize: 692.04 KB)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:36:59 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%