Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MT.O Challenge Coin

Tofty · 132 · 22393

gb Offline Tofty

MT.O Challenge Coin
on: February 17, 2013, 12:07:48 PM
(I've spoken to Grant about this idea and he likes it, so consider this the official MT.O challenge coin project thread)

As some of you will be aware, both EDCforums and USN have had challenge coins made for their members, with positive results, capturing something of the essence of these forums in a highly collectable object.

The creation of a multitool.org challenge coin has been discussed a number of times over the years but never got further than that, probably due to the large minimum order and expensive die costs needed being too prohibitive.
However with the help of 3D printing a few prototypes can be made, relatively cheaply, to show off the design and drum up interest before a large expense is committed to, helping such a project gain some momentum.

Now all EDCforums have to do to make something fit in with their whole 'every day carry' ethos is to make it fit in their pocket but we are a multitool forum and that means functions.
Our coin must do something other than look pretty, so this is what i came up with:

Ignore the MT.O pattern for now as it's just a place holder.
The tool has:
A 1/4" hex bit driver,
A knurled and scalloped outer edge to improve grip,
A 0.127" (3.23mm) spoke wrench,
A 0.130" (3.30mm) spoke wrench,
A 0.136" (3.45mm) spoke wrench,
The coins dimensions are 40mm in diameter and 3mm thick.

And now for the challenge bit......
What other functions could be added to such a coin?
What designs would you like to see on each face?

If your interested in such a coin then please get involved with your ideas and creativity.
You forum needs you!

PS. Raukodur's multitool innovation forum idea would be the perfect place for this thread to stop it getting lost in all the other general discussions.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

se Offline Northern Geek

Re: MT.O Challenge Coin
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:29 PM
Maybe you could add screwdriver tips between the spoke wrenches? Might make it less comfortable though but it'd add some more uses?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:52:36 PM
Screwdrivers and Metric sized hex or wrench type things please :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:05:35 PM
I think it should be kept as simple as possible, so a hex in the middle and rounded edges (like the ones on top/no spoke wrenches) all the way around. Nothing more.. :)

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:24:51 PM
I think it should be kept as simple as possible, so a hex in the middle and rounded edges (like the ones on top/no spoke wrenches) all the way around. Nothing more.. :)

I guess there's a point to this as well.. there's only so much you can add before it stops feeling like an actual coin.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:47:14 PM

This, but make the edge like the pocket screwdriver so it can be used on different sizes of screws.

Maybe lower the 1/4 hole, place a double sided leatherman flat/phillips bit in the middle and the full name on top. :think:

coin.jpg
* coin.jpg (Filesize: 17.67 KB)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:58:16 PM
This does depend on whether we want to go for simple design, or cram as much as we can into it.

And if you go with the latter option, it depends if you want to be a jack of all trades or a master of one, i.e. do you want it to have lots of different functions but with limited functionality, or just have one function, but do it very well.

Personally, I dislike redundancy, so I already have keyring size equipment with screwdrivers and wrenches, etc. What I would really like, is something very different and imaginative. And you know what? A good alternative to that is to have a very aesthetically pleasing design and motif, and forget about functions, given that we already have most all of the functions we would end up putting on this.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:40 PM
  Put a magnet on one end, or magnetize it. Set it upon a floating item and have a functional compass.
  Then if the coin had a hole through it, it could serve as a part retrieval item. Dangle from a string and the magnetic end could fetch the item.
  If you wanted to go even classier, put a small tritium vial on that magnetic/north end. Or a glow in the dark marker?

If you set the center as a normal hex bit driver, taper it on one side. That way when used as a hex driver the hex bit will have a shoulder to to help keep it pressed on the screw. Too many hex holes are not tapered and you have to fight to keep the bit in the holder.

One tool I would like to see on one end, if you are going that route, is a valve core remover/tightener.

Another thing could add is a mini-bit driver to hold an eye-glass bit from Leatherman.  :whistle:

Guess it depends how unique you want the coin stand out from the crowd.  :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:22:55 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 02:37:11 PM
So thinking about this a bit one, one possible idea:

Instead of a 'coin' what if it was more like a 'ring' and so could functional like a keyring, with either a solid or hollow centre.

I have tried to make a sketch of both designs. The blue area would be where the logo(s) could go.

I do like the idea of some sort of glow in the dark marker.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:40:47 PM by Raukodur »

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 03:01:19 PM
First hunch I was thinking keyring-coin as well, to attach all your goodies to.

Whatever, I love to have a MTO challenge coin  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:03:56 PM by Wootz »

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 03:37:01 PM

This, but make the edge like the pocket screwdriver so it can be used on different sizes of screws.

(Image removed from quote.)

Maybe lower the 1/4 hole, place a double sided leatherman flat/phillips bit in the middle and the full name on top. :think:

I really like this idea enki_ck
I do not ride bikes so a spoke wrench does not attract me.
 If it is a wrench I like Nuphoria's idea with metric or standard slots.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 03:41:49 PM

+1, I like the coin driver too.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 10:25:20 PM

+1  From me also for the coin drive, simple and useful. ;)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 10:39:52 PM

+1  From me also for the coin drive, simple and useful. ;)

That would also make it easier to carry on a spring clip on a keyring  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 11:21:07 PM
im perfectly happy with the spoke wrench design! where can i buy one  :D
I

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 11:30:49 PM
May I ask, what is the coin drive for? Does it have any function over a normal screwdriver I am not aware of?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 11:38:39 PM
  The coin screwdriver could have a copyright infringement issue too. Would not want anything negative to come from that.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ru Offline livan

Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 12:40:41 AM
I have in my pocket is always a lot of multi tool. I do not need a coin tool. But if the coin measurement. I thought design. (all the while not exact) coin has five dimensions. 1 - stick the coin base point, and watch the gap size.
2 - piece tapered in cross section, and if it vsavit in the slot 2 on a scale to know the width of the slit
3-find sheet thickness of 0.5 mm, 4 mm.
4 - number of holes the size. The back of the dial. If you insert a pencil into the center and roll edge of the coin, on a scale to find distance. :salute:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 08:10:46 AM
I think this discussion is more about ideas for a MT.O Onepiece tool than making an actual Challenge Coin:think:
I love the idea of real Challenge Coin, but a traditional Coin has no practical uses but is a constant reminder of how things are done at MT.O. :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:22:41 AM by AHB »

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:16 AM
I like the idea of magnetizing it and having just one hole through the center. Maybe something glow in the dark, that would be cool. Really cool idea guys!

Sent from my own private Idaho
hi

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 09:16:35 PM
This is going to take ages.......

Right, thankyou to everyone, we've had some great ideas, interesting suggestions and some enjoyable ridiculousness but i suppose i should tone everything down a bit with a few design restrictions:

Although some very complex things can be done with 3D printing, much less complexity can be achieved with the machines a coin making company will have, which is where they would be manufactured on mass (i'm not even sure the central hex is doable), so any feature that can't be cut or formed using a stamping press is unlikely to be achievable.

Of course in the future 3D printing might well be the preferred method of medium volume manufacturing for this kind of item but until then we must resign ourselves to various limitations.

I also hope that if we do end up making an MT.O challenge coin that it will be just the first in a long line of coin creations, with many of the ideas posed here finding their way into sunsequent iterations.

I have decided that to start with, the coin should only have very basic tool function, to stop it becoming a full one-piece multitool and stay a symbolic token of the forums passion.
Although it should be capable of being used it should not be considered a tool.
Think of it like an anniversary leatherman or swiss army knife, we want them, but not to use as they're too special.
If the designs on the faces are as good as i'm hoping they will be, the last thing anyone will want to do is risk damaging them.
I just thought we could do something other than a solid round coin to show who we are and what we do.

I drew up some of the suggestions to see what they'd look like fully scaled.

The one on the left is what i want the final coin's layout to look like.

So now i would like any designs that any of you may have for the two faces.
I think we'd all like to see MT.O and/or MULTITOOL.ORG on the coin somewhere, along with the year 2013, but apart from that anything goes really.

Right now the really long bit.......

Northern Geek wrote:
Maybe you could add screwdriver tips between the spoke wrenches? Might make it less comfortable though but it'd add some more uses?

Tofty: Coin bronze shouldn't be used for screw driver tips as it's alot softer than most screws it would be used on, it can be used for spanner/wrench drivers up to a point but even then it will wear quite quickly.
Comfort is a major factor for edc tools, there are a number of threads on this forum about how the gerber shard's less than satisfactory shape has led a number of users do discard it from pocket carrying.

nuphoria wrote:
Screwdrivers and Metric sized hex or wrench type things please :D

Tofty: I chose the bicycle spoke wrenches as they are the smallest functional wrench size there is.
The smallest hex size worth adding to a tool would be a 5mm or perhaps a 3/16", these are considerably larger than the spoke wrenches and with increasing sized hexes of 5.5mm, 7mm and 8mm needing to be added to give a fair range of useful sizes the tool very quickly becomes just a skeletonized frame.
I'll draw it up in a bit to see what it looks like.

AHB wrote:

Tofty: Yep i agree, most achievable design while still being unique to us.

Northern Geek wrote: I guess there's a point to this as well. there's only so much you can add before it stops feeling like an actual coin.

Tofty: Indeed, the loss of it's primary function of being a cool looking coin is something to be avoided.

enki_ck wrote:

Tofty: I never liked the pocket screwdriver as the blade profile is always wrong for any size screw head and the outer edges where all the torgue is applied make very little contact, making cam-out damage inevitable. They're even worse for countersunk flat heads which is what i come across most of the time anyway.

The rendering above shows the coin with a slot for the double sided leatherman bit which is about 32mm long. The design would work much better on a strip of metal with the bit channel along the middle and the hex on one end.

Raukodur wrote:
This does depend on whether we want to go for simple design, or cram as much as we can into it.

And if you go with the latter option, it depends if you want to be a jack of all trades or a master of one, i.e. do you want it to have lots of different functions but with limited functionality, or just have one function, but do it very well.

Personally, I dislike redundancy, so I already have keyring size equipment with screwdrivers and wrenches, etc. What I would really like, is something very different and imaginative. And you know what? A good alternative to that is to have a very aesthetically pleasing design and motif, and forget about functions, given that we already have most all of the functions we would end up putting on this.

Tofty: Well put, i've always felt multitools have always been a bit Jack-like when compared to dedicated tools, which i use whenever possible.
A round 1/4" hex driver coupled with an extented bit holder is actually something i use at work quite a lot in preference to a t-bar or screwdriver handle for driving hex bits.

Is my design asthetically pleasing? I'm sure the motif will be at least.

Xelkos wrote:
Put a magnet on one end, or magnetize it. Set it upon a floating item and have a functional compass.
Then if the coin had a hole through it, it could serve as a part retrieval item. Dangle from a string and the magnetic end could fetch the item.
If you wanted to go even classier, put a small tritium vial on that magnetic/north end. Or a glow in the dark marker?

If you set the center as a normal hex bit driver, taper it on one side. That way when used as a hex driver the hex bit will have a shoulder to to help keep it pressed on the screw. Too many hex holes are not tapered and you have to fight to keep the bit in the holder.

One tool I would like to see on one end, if you are going that route, is a valve core remover/tightener.

Another thing could add is a mini-bit driver to hold an eye-glass bit from Leatherman.  :whistle:

Guess it depends how unique you want the coin stand out from the crowd.  :D

Tofty: They're all good ideas and hopefully ones that get an airing at some point but at the moment i'd say it shouldn't be THAT unique, not yet.

Magnets can be annoying in the pocket, i tried to carry the TEC pen on my keychain, which has a magnet in the head, and it interferred with all the other stuff too much and caused clumping so i got rid of it.

Tapering the hex would be a good idea but the coin is too thin for it to work as all the hexes surface area is needed to drive properly. The tool combined with a 60mm bit holder will work well as the coin can sit on the holders shouldered edge and be fully retained with just an o-ring over the top. Again a drawing would help to clarify this.

Raukour wrote:
So thinking about this a bit one, one possible idea:

Instead of a 'coin' what if it was more like a 'ring' and so could functional like a keyring, with either a solid or hollow centre.
I have tried to make a sketch of both designs. The blue area would be where the logo(s) could go.
I do like the idea of some sort of glow in the dark marker.

Tofty: It's a nice idea but the rings would be too thick to attach anything other than big split-rings (20mm+). Perhaps thats a little over dramatic but i feel 40mm would be too large for this kind of key ring so a smaller ring would really be needed and that would limit the available design space available.
Glow markers would be cool, definitely a contender for a future iteration.

Well thats all i can manage, i'm giving up for now and will address the rest later.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:29:08 PM by Tofty »
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 09:23:02 PM
Awesome Q&A Tofty, thank you for all that :cheers:

I like simple too - probably prefer simple for the over all idea :)

No trit slots? :D :pok:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 09:24:58 PM
As far as the MTO logo on the coin, I would think putting the logo on the tool with the established year instead of the year you made the coin. Thoughts?

Sent from Endor using Schlapatok
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 10:21:25 PM

Respect the one in the middle. What about fusing all into one "Keyhole" shape with O-Rings ?  :think:

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:54 PM
I have in my pocket is always a lot of multi tool. I do not need a coin tool. But if the coin measurement. I thought design. (all the while not exact) coin has five dimensions. 1 - stick the coin base point, and watch the gap size.
2 - piece tapered in cross section, and if it vsavit in the slot 2 on a scale to know the width of the slit
3-find sheet thickness of 0.5 mm, 4 mm.
4 - number of holes the size. The back of the dial. If you insert a pencil into the center and roll edge of the coin, on a scale to find distance. :salute:

I like these ideas !  :salute:  specially the rolling ruler and the tappered profile !  :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 11:21:35 PM
I should ask.. what's a challenge coin? Is it like an AA chip?  Im 30 days on MTO and have no money left! lol
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 11:22:43 PM
I thought of something and drew a quick something, i know its not much, but just fig i would toss it in and see if you could get any ideas off of it,,

using the O-rings to hold the bit for storage, and to also hold it while in the hex drive, but also throw in a bottle opener, yet the drive would be the O in Org, and the way that the Philips bit would store would kinda look like a exclamation point, no? lol,,  :D JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 12:46:15 AM
Or a bottle opener like this one...

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 02:56:45 AM
Very nice responses Tofty, you obviously put in some thought and effort there  :salute:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How about this. It think it is aesthetically nicer than having a solid center.

To make it viable as a keyring, some nice small ~10mm keyrings can be used to connect stuff to the outer ring.

For logo purposes, the inner ring can be made wide enough for the logo.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:03 AM
It's funny, but I looked at the design I posted earlier. Now coins have two sides, normally two diff designs, if you stair at it long enough, and just look at the outside lines, it looks like a artist palette, no? So if one side said "Multi Tool Org" the other side could say "The Art of Preparedness"!  LOL  :rofl: JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%