Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MT.O Challenge Coin

Tofty · 132 · 22399

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Re: MT.O Challenge Coin
Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 04:18:22 AM
I thought of something and drew a quick something, i know its not much, but just fig i would toss it in and see if you could get any ideas off of it,,

using the O-rings to hold the bit for storage, and to also hold it while in the hex drive, but also throw in a bottle opener, yet the drive would be the O in Org, and the way that the Philips bit would store would kinda look like a exclamation point, no? lol,,  :D JR
(Image removed from quote.)

+1 From me on this design. I understand it may not be functional but it has a good "play with it factor".

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 04:20:54 AM
It's funny, but I looked at the design I posted earlier. Now coins have two sides, normally two diff designs, if you stair at it long enough, and just look at the outside lines, it looks like a artist palette, no? So if one side said "Multi Tool Org" the other side could say "The Art of Preparedness"!  LOL  :rofl: JR

Does MTO have an official motto??

They make the tools, WE MOD THEM BETTER!  :D   ??    - Sorry, thinking cap not on yet. Need more coffee.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 05:11:38 AM
It's funny, but I looked at the design I posted earlier. Now coins have two sides, normally two diff designs, if you stair at it long enough, and just look at the outside lines, it looks like a artist palette, no? So if one side said "Multi Tool Org" the other side could say "The Art of Preparedness"!  LOL  :rofl: JR

They make the tools, WE MOD THEM BETTER!  :D   ??    - Sorry, thinking cap not on yet. Need more coffee.

"Making the Unworkable Work"
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 05:49:06 AM

"Making the Unworkable Work"

I like that!  :tu:

I also like the bike spoke drawing and would like to see screwdriver tips between them, including a thick one that could be used for prying.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 05:53:32 AM
That's the forum's slogan

Sent from Endor using Schlapatok

Terry

Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 06:30:23 AM
  Think this project should split up into 2, maybe 3, groups: (1) a coin, nothing more really or it won't be a coin, (2) MTO Makes The World Go Round & Round tool, (3) Jointly creating the coin to match the tool.

One group to design the coin, materials, artwork. Another group that develops the tool that can hold the coin, if wanted. if there's a third they somehow have to get both of the other groups to agree on dimensions, and perhaps be the support - and should be outfitted with both Advil and weighted lead clubs.   :D

Now of there's only one person involved, God help him/her. More or less seriously, should be more than just one that does things or makes changes, otherwise it's just one person's rendition.
  Who has the skills, and/or time to take it head on? Only 5 weeks remaining of winter.
¬ Outback in Idaho

ru Offline livan

Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 03:16:01 PM

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

That's a nice design :) Maybe not really a challenge coin thing, but very nice  :salute:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ru Offline livan

Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 04:00:35 PM

I stick on the keys is very necessary. This metal - ceramic cutter. They can be sharpened instrument, cut glass and tiles and so on. They are multi-faceted, round and others. Diameter of disc 12, 15, 19, 22mm. They can make a beautiful box with the logo of bronze or brass.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 08:19:25 PM
Time for some more.........

firstly here are the renders of nuphoria's spannered coin and my coin being used with a 60mm bit holder.

The spannered coin looks better than i thought it would with hex sizes from 4mm right up to 12mm in the middle.
I think this has already been done however as i recall seeing something very similar before.

The bit holder helps raise the coin away from the surface the screw would be driven into, allowing the hand to fully grasp it and deliver full torgue without grazing knuckes on the work.
The o-ring secures the coin in place allowing the tool to be repositioned without the whole thing falling apart.

A few posts ago Xelkos suggested splitting the project into a coin and accompanying one-piece multitool. That makes a fair amount of sense as i fear that otherwise a balance could never be reached between the coinists and toolers.
Apart from any 3D work that needs doing i'd like to step back from the tool side of things and just focus on the coin and it's face designs if we can agree that as it is at the moment is good enough for the first iteration.
If anyone fancies taking a lead on the tool side then have at it.

Wootz wrote:
First hunch I was thinking keyring-coin as well, to attach all your goodies to.
Whatever, I love to have a MTO challenge coin  :tu:

Tofty: I'll do my very best to give you the opportunity to possess an MT.O coin.

THE_LONGBOW wrote:
I really like this idea enki_ck
I do not ride bikes so a spoke wrench does not attract me.
If it is a wrench I like Nuphoria's idea with metric or standard slots.

Tofty: What do you think of nuphoria's coin idea in the flesh?

Syth007 wrote:
+1, I like the coin driver too.

MARIOS7319 wrote:
+1  From me also for the coin drive, simple and useful. ;)

50ft-trad wrote:
That would also make it easier to carry on a spring clip on a keyring  :think:

Tofty: A lot of love here for enki_ck's ideas, a good contender for this projects new direction.

ryan1835 wrote:
im perfectly happy with the spoke wrench design! where can i buy one  :D

Tofty: If you really like it i could probably make a printable model for you on shapeways but it still needs an interesting design on the faces before it was worth doing.

Raukodur wrote:
May I ask, what is the coin drive for? Does it have any function over a normal screwdriver I am not aware of?

Tofty: Slotted screw heads can be found in a huge range of sizes due to it being the first type of screw driving profile and it having been around well before the standardisation movement. This means that to avoid risking damage to any slotted screw head you may encounter you would have to have dozens of different drivers. The pocket screwdriver attempts to ease this problem by matching the slot width, whatever it is.

Xelkos wrote:
The coin screwdriver could have a copyright infringement issue too. Would not want anything negative to come from that.

Tofty: There is somebody i saw on another forum who sold machined versions of the pocket screwdriver, it might even have been Dave22 but for all i know it could have been his idea to begin with.
I agree though that legally gray areas should be avoided if possible.

livan wrote:
I have in my pocket is always a lot of multi tool. I do not need a coin tool. But if the coin measurement. I thought design. (all the while not exact) coin has five dimensions. 1 - stick the coin base point, and watch the gap size.
2 - piece tapered in cross section, and if it vsavit in the slot 2 on a scale to know the width of the slit
3-find sheet thickness of 0.5 mm, 4 mm.
4 - number of holes the size. The back of the dial. If you insert a pencil into the center and roll edge of the coin, on a scale to find distance. :salute:

Tofty: Now thats a fascinating idea but probably a little too difficult to get the accuracy and tolerances right without some serious and seriously expensive machining.

AHB wrote:
I think this discussion is more about ideas for a MT.O Onepiece tool than making an actual Challenge Coin.  :think:
I love the idea of real Challenge Coin, but a traditional Coin has no practical uses but is a constant reminder of how things are done at MT.O. :hatsoff:

Tofty: Another argument for separating into two distinct projects.
Do you think the hex driver is going too far or is it an allowable symbolic reminder of our desire for function?

TMFKAMJ wrote:
I like the idea of magnetizing it and having just one hole through the center. Maybe something glow in the dark, that would be cool. Really cool idea guys!

Tofty: Some challenge coins have an enamelled finish on the faces, perhaps a GITD option exists.
Something to think about.

That'll do for now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:23:38 PM by Tofty »
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 08:36:16 PM
AHB wrote:
I think this discussion is more about ideas for a MT.O Onepiece tool than making an actual Challenge Coin.  :think:
I love the idea of real Challenge Coin, but a traditional Coin has no practical uses but is a constant reminder of how things are done at MT.O. :hatsoff:

Tofty: Another argument for separating into two distinct projects.
Do you think the hex driver is going too far or is it an allowable symbolic reminder of our desire for function?
Just wanna make sure you know I think you're doing a fantastic job mate..  :salute: :salute: I really like the simplicity of the hex Coin/driver..  :tu:
I still think a more traditional Challange coin should be discussed in the future, but this makes one helluva OnePiecs Tool..  :cheers:

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 10:06:39 PM
Thanks AHB, i honestly think that once it's been proven that there is real interest in a MT.O challenge coin, by having a successful first run, that it's something that will continue for many years to come.
In fact i really like the idea that maybe future coin designs will swap between being rather traditional and overly elaborate, year on year, as different members get involved and have their say.
And of course with all the original and creative ideas seen so far i don't fear that we lack the imagination for it.

In case any of you have some thoughts on a face design here is the basic template:

And remember please add MT.O or preferably MULTITOOL.ORG and 2013

(Stealth007s asked why the date had to be this years rather than the forums establishing year.
I say that...
1. I don't know when this forum was started, but perhaps that IS a reason to have it on the coin,
2. The date is supposed to act as a sort of version number, if we do end up making a new coin every year then the specific year will help identify them to potential collectors. I'm sure this sounds like i'm getting way ahead of myself but it can't hurt to think about it)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:10:03 PM by Tofty »
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 10:13:07 PM
Just to add about the only constructive thing I can add, the forum started in 2006.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18:00 PM
Dutch Design :P

Coin1Profile1.jpg
* Coin1Profile1.jpg (Filesize: 59.92 KB)

ru Offline livan

Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:50 PM
Option. Make coins from thin sheets of small size. They can be bonded molecular glue to the beloved instrument. Small size allow them to make even the precious metals, gold, silver.
Best budget option, hooded plastic coated in gold or another. Printed in hard copy, with adhesive side. Plus a protective transparent protection ....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:44:39 PM by livan »

ru Offline livan

Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40:31 PM
Sorry, I understand the form of coins to represent the opening of the forum? ???

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 11:43:26 PM

Respect the one in the middle. What about fusing all into one "Keyhole" shape with O-Rings ?  :think:

[/quote]

^^^Digging this. I also like the idea of having a cap-lifter function to it, but honestly, if it has the ability to both hold a bit and act as a driver... count me in.   :gimme:

I will probably be in anyways.   :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ru Offline livan

Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:09 AM
 ;)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:45 AM

Respect the one in the middle. What about fusing all into one "Keyhole" shape with O-Rings ?  :think:

I was actually thinking of something like the Piranha uses to hold the bit in place.

Sorry I didn't draw it better or explain on the original drawing. It could of course be a lot thinner for the flat LM bit.

us Offline stax

Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 12:28:00 AM
Include a small hole in center which can snugly hold a SAK toothpick and create a mini sundial.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:30:02 AM by stax »

ru Offline livan

Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 12:48:22 AM
 2 rdub934  Option is difficult, well, just as an idea.

ru Offline livan

Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 01:25:39 AM
weapons office
   :)

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 02:49:16 AM
I could have fun with that one

*edit- 2K baybay!¡!¡!

Sent from Endor via Schlapatok

Terry

Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 03:21:01 AM
¬ Outback in Idaho

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 03:35:31 AM

firstly here are the renders of nuphoria's spannered coin and my coin being used with a 60mm bit holder.

I really like the right hand side coin.  That is my favorite design so far.  Just a coin, with a cool logo, that does one extra thing very well. :)

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 04:45:56 AM

I really like the right hand side coin.  That is my favorite design so far.  Just a coin, with a cool logo, that does one extra thing very well. :)

+1 :tu:

Terry

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #56 on: February 21, 2013, 10:58:30 AM
Yes, as much as I asked for metric wrenches, that was mostly because the earlier ideas were imperial!

I could live with a much simpler coin :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 11:24:35 AM
What about combining the keyring and hex wrench idea?

So slots around the edges, and a hex slot in the middle, with space for logo around the hex wrench.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 11:46:39 AM
Some people seem to want a simpler coin, others seem to want a more tool orientated approach. Combo time!!!

:nanadance:

Hows about a modified version of this http://www.trueutility.com/pocket-tools-store/TU231-driverset-screwdriver.html along with a Challenge Coin? A thicker coin and mating slot could ... maybe ... make the slot in the driver function as a bottle opener - it also provides a small pry tool too. A small hole in the coin towards the edge would allow both items to be carried on the same spring clip. If the base of the slot was made at the same radius (convex) as the concave thumb indentations on the challenge coin, this would give a more secure purchase between coin and driver and help stop the coin "rolling out" (which I would imagine may occur on the TU version)

Just another crazy thought :B:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 01:17:22 PM

upload pic

So this is what I had in mind. You would retain the simple design and function of the hex driver, while allowing it to be easily attached to a keyring, and act as a keyring itself.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%