Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Hunter/Hiker Xt

Grumpy · 27 · 2460

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Vic Hunter/Hiker Xt
on: February 15, 2013, 03:50:37 PM
Hi just wondered if anyone has experience or thoughts/advice on the vic hunter series, as i'm thinking of getting one for camping.

Thanks
Barry

nl Offline Wootz

Re: Vic Hunter/Hiker Xt
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 04:04:18 PM
What kind of camping? Lean-to or campervan?

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:09:15 PM
solo tent and wild camping(no tent) and some climbing  :)

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:59:29 PM
Is it the only tool you take with you?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:02:51 PM
When camping while climbing, I prefer a Leatherman Skeletool.  Light, good blade, pliers and bit driver.  An added bonus is, it can be carried on the harness for easy access.

If I'm ice climbing, I prefer a Wave, mostly for the diamond file.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:34:54 PM
i haven't got one yet wootz but no i'd prob carry either my powerlock or ppp withn me in my sack. used to carry my surge but it's just to heavy,
we don't have ice climbing where i live, only really in scotland!! but yes a diamond vfile would come in handy then for your crampons/axe,
i'd carry xt as a mainly emergency tool

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 06:33:24 PM
When camping while climbing, I prefer a Leatherman Skeletool.  Light, good blade, pliers and bit driver.  An added bonus is, it can be carried on the harness for easy access.

Oh your'e a climber too?  Well I should say its been awhile for me, but I really miss it.  My old climbing buddy moved away, and I haven't found someone else I trusted on belay. So my gear sits waiting.  Maybe I'll get my son into it when hes older.  Backhome I had a bunch of sport routes I bolted and I would use a soloist to climb for practice.  Good fun and great arm workout.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:40:10 PM
i only got back into climbimg last year after losing a lot of weight, at the momrnt i'm concentrating on uk e & m grades with a local club

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:07 PM

Oh your'e a climber too?  Well I should say its been awhile for me, but I really miss it.  My old climbing buddy moved away, and I haven't found someone else I trusted on belay. So my gear sits waiting.  Maybe I'll get my son into it when hes older.  Backhome I had a bunch of sport routes I bolted and I would use a soloist to climb for practice.  Good fun and great arm workout.

Yea,

Mostly gym work now.  I can't really climb all day on routes, due to arthritis in my big toes.  If I climb more than a couple hours, I'm pretty crippled.  That's why I like ice climbing.  Rigid boot, and use of crampons saves my toes.

Sadly, the closest consistent ice is in upstate New York (7 hours to the nearest good spot).  With the way the airlines are now, it's just not practical to fly to good climbing anymore.  I used to put my ropes and non-sharp stuff into my carry on, but now with carry on weight restrictions, that's just not possible. 

I fear my days of ice climbing are rapidly coming to a close.  :(

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:52:42 PM
I take it the serrated blade is important to you Grumpy?  Another option (though less common I think) is the Jumpmaster.  My personal choice when out on a multi-night hike/camp is normally a Huntsman, but then I'm normally carrying a Bahco Laplander and fixed blade of some kind.  Another option I use is the Forester
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 06:58:49 PM
Hi Gareth, they both look good but i'd prefer a oho blade for ease, i don't really like fixed blade knives unless there's a chance of a Zombie attack  :rofl:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 06:59:22 PM

Yea,

Mostly gym work now.  I can't really climb all day on routes, due to arthritis in my big toes.  If I climb more than a couple hours, I'm pretty crippled.  That's why I like ice climbing.  Rigid boot, and use of crampons saves my toes.

Sadly, the closest consistent ice is in upstate New York (7 hours to the nearest good spot).  With the way the airlines are now, it's just not practical to fly to good climbing anymore.  I used to put my ropes and non-sharp stuff into my carry on, but now with carry on weight restrictions, that's just not possible. 

I fear my days of ice climbing are rapidly coming to a close.  :(

Got an empty grain silo?  I saw some people buildling cool indoor routes in those, always thought that would be awesome.  DIY ice climb building might be a tad more challenging.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:03:37 PM
I'm vert lucky within a 2-3 hr drive i can get to most of the climbing in england, n we have an indoor ice climbing wall not too far from us but never tried it

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 11:19:29 PM
Ah the days of rope and rock so long ago...
Doing my first rappel off Montezuma's Tower, the pin loose in its vertical hole, my buddy standing on it "for security" as the sun goes down -- was it the air that made me shiver?
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

Offline Eyegor

Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 12:41:13 AM
I'm very partial to the Vic 111mm Hunter, but if I was doing a lot of rope work I would get the OH Fireman or Parachutist instead. For pocket EDC I simply prefer the non-OHO models. When I am in the back country I am usually on foot and don't have things like stoves, lanterns, etc with me. If I did, I would probably carry a compact plier-based multi such as my Gerber MP400.
T

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 12:23:37 PM
Hi just wondered if anyone has experience or thoughts/advice on the vic hunter series, as i'm thinking of getting one for camping.

Thanks
Barry

Hey Barry

I've been looking at the Vic' Hunter series too (XT).
Just love the blade choice. But what's with the philips?? I don't follow. If the caplifter/screwdruver was onboard I'd understand. But a philips and 3 blades......WHY??
An Awl would have made more sense.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 02:00:34 PM
Hi Tosh,
I thought the exact same thing, esp an awl of the farmer!!! think they juat wanted to fill the tool load!! found somewhere in leeds that sells them so i'm going to have a look on thursday when i go through, will let you know what i think, if they're any good i'll get one and do a review on it! Do you want it for similiar reasons to me??

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 02:05:09 PM
I would guess the Phillips is there as a "gun tool" to adjust sights and such.  That was my thought anyway.

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 02:08:53 PM
i haven't got one yet wootz but no i'd prob carry either my powerlock or ppp withn me in my sack. used to carry my surge but it's just to heavy,
we don't have ice climbing where i live, only really in scotland!! but yes a diamond vfile would come in handy then for your crampons/axe,
i'd carry xt as a mainly emergency tool

My 2 cents: Soldier or Farmer, Spirit multitool and a small puukko (maybe a necker).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:10:32 PM by Wootz »

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 02:12:42 PM
Your probably right, :) i know it would be too costly too have different versions for different country!! it's a shame more manufacturers wouldn't approach things the same way sog has done with it's multitools.
My perfect Hunter would have a large oho blade, a rescue blade, woodsaw. an awl and a magnyfing glass( for splinters) :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 05:17:55 PM
I know it's perhaps not ideal, but are you keeping in mind that the standard OHO blade is a combo edge?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 07:20:17 PM
The hunter i've seen has a straight blade and a seperate se rescue blade,
really i should maybe ask someone about the possability of building one to my spec!!! I'd like to get one with stay glow scales but i'd have to maybe get them from swiss bianco..

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 08:08:32 PM

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 08:38:13 PM
Inspiration needed? :)

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=5287.2

Very Nice!! looks like a very usable knife :D When can you build mine for me!! :rofl:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36:20 PM
Hi Tosh,
I thought the exact same thing, esp an awl of the farmer!!! think they juat wanted to fill the tool load!! found somewhere in leeds that sells them so i'm going to have a look on thursday when i go through, will let you know what i think, if they're any good i'll get one and do a review on it! Do you want it for similiar reasons to me??

Camping - but in a caravan not a tent - lol
I recently got Vic' Swiss Army Tool Red & Black Dual-Pro - Hell, that's a tool and a half!! and as for build quality.... :drool:
Then stumbled upon the XT with the additional saw blade :think:, but I do wonder if the Dual Pro is quite possibly the better tool, more useful??
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:49:34 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 11:31:56 PM
I went up to Staithes and Whitby earlier today for a bit of a break, and saw the ... the one with the saw and the one without (can't be bothered looking for the names) ... in one of the outdoors shops. They looked really nice, and of course the fit and finish will be excellent, but they didn't strike me as being the most practical. I'm not overly sold on the Vic OHO blade when closed and trying to use something else - and I think I'd prefer a clipped blade or sheath knive when working with ropes. If you get in a position of needeing it, you tend to need it NOW!!!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 11:37:01 PM
If you went to staithes you must've passed my old house!!!!  :D
if i get one i was thinking of adding thumb studs!!! opinions needed on that one :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%