Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A few new Gerbers

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
A few new Gerbers
on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:07 AM
First one is called the Gerber Shift. Previously spotted and briefly discussed the week of SHOT but no info until now.

The Shift is the latest evolution of the multi-tool from Gerber. Featuring forged, spring loaded jaws and G10 handles, the SHIFT takes multitool quality and durability to new levels. Assembled in Portland OR, the Shift is all about the features that matter most: large full fine edge and serrated blades are the stars, with diagonal cutters and wire stripper on the jaws, innovative new utility blade/scraper, magnetic bit driver and a combo bottle opener/pry bar. This full size butterfly open tool comes with a sheath and Gerber’s Lifetime Warranty.

Features:
•Forged Jaws
•G10 Handles
•Bottle Opener / Pry Bar
•Butterfly Opening Spring Loaded Jaws
•Large Fine Edge Blade
•Wire Stripper
•Diagonal Cutters
•Magnetic Bit Driver with #2 Philips Driver
•Large Fully Serrated Blade
•Large Flat Driver
•Small Flat Driver
•Utility Blade /Scraper
•Wedge Lock
•Sheath
Specifications:
 Overall Length: 6.75" to 5.90"
 Closed Length: 4.20"
 Steel Type: 6150 Carbon Jaw; 420HC Blades
 Handle Material: G10
 Includes Lifetime Limited Warranty
 Assembled in the USA

Information from Gerber

gerber-shift.jpg
* gerber-shift.jpg (Filesize: 48.13 KB)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:34:29 AM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Re: A few new Gerbers
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:23:54 AM
This is the Gerber Guardian K3. The proportions look strange on this one. Small plier head or perhaps huge handles?

The Guardian line from Gerber features modern, fresh designs that are appealing and reasonably priced. This Guardian K3 Mini Tool from Gerber is loaded with 8 components. Black finished stainless steel tools and a textured polymer handle.

Specifications:
 Overall Length: 4.19"
 Blade Steel: Stainless
 Handle Material: Polymer
 Weight: 2.99 oz.

Information from Gerber
GE31-001371_full_88349.jpg
* GE31-001371_full_88349.jpg (Filesize: 9.28 KB)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:35:29 AM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:28:22 AM
Gerber Guardian D2. Looks basically the same as the K3 but with different scales.
gerber-guardian-k3-multitool.jpg
* gerber-guardian-k3-multitool.jpg (Filesize: 51.56 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:37 AM
The Gerber GDC Zip Driver

The Gerber Daily Carry (GDC) Zip Driver features four of the most commonly needed screw driver heads on a rotating tool. A ball detent feature secures each driver in position during use. Designed to be attached to the zipper of your pack or your coat, the tool features a quick-release clip for easy removal to address those quick needs that always seem to arise. It’s a great looking, highly functional tool for daily use. The Zip Tool includes 2 Flat Head Drivers (1/8" Bit & 3/16" Bit) and 2 Phillips Head Drivers (#1 Bit & #2 Bit).

Specifications:
 Overall Length: 2.15"
 Steel Type: 420 Stainless
 Handle Material: 3Cr13
 Closed Length: 2.15

Information from Gerber
gerber-gdc-zip-driver.jpg
* gerber-gdc-zip-driver.jpg (Filesize: 42.88 KB)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:37:06 AM by rdub934 »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:30:51 AM
Gerber GDC Zip light and cap lifter

Your daily bike commute and weekend trail ride just got a lot easier thanks to the GDC Zip Hex. Featuring five of the most commonly used This addition to the Gerber Daily Carry Collection is the perfect daily companion. Featuring a bright, compact LED light and a handy little bottle opener, attach this tool to the zipper of your jacket pocket or your shoulder bag and be ready to take on whatever comes your way. Opening your car door in a dark parking lot, finding your way into your tent at the end of the night, helping your friends open a couple cold ones. With the GDC Zip Light+ by your side, consider these problems solved.

Specifications:
 Overall Length: 1.80"
 Steel Type: 420 Stainless
 Handle Material: 3Cr13
 Closed Length: 1.80

Information from Gerber
gerber-gdc-light.jpg
* gerber-gdc-light.jpg (Filesize: 43.11 KB)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:52:12 AM by rdub934 »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 12:32:32 AM
The previously spotted and discussed Gerber Bullrush. A lot of fancy scaled folding Gerbers coming out this year.

The Bullrush is a compact, heavy-duty multitool from Gerber. The butterfly style opening allows the user to access the tanto blade knife, full-size Phillips screw driver, strap cutter and flat head driver from the outside. Unfold the G-10 lined handles to access the full size plier head and wire cutters. The Bullrush comes with a black ballistic nylon sheath for carrying on duty. Built with law enforcement, first responders and tactical professionals in mind.

Key Features:
 Full-Size Plier Jaws
 G-10 Handle Scales
 Partially Serrated Blade
 Strap Cutter
 Flat Head Driver
 Large Phillips Head Driver
 Pinch Wire Cutters
 Black Nylon Sheath

Specifications:
 Overall Length: 5.80"
 Closed Length: 3.60"
 Steel Type: 7CR17
 Weight: 0.52 lb.

Information from Gerber

* gerber-bullrush-multitool-thumb.jpg (Filesize: 4.21 KB)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:53:09 AM by rdub934 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:10:17 AM
First one is called the Gerber Shift. Previously spotted and briefly discussed the week of SHOT but no info until now.

The Shift is the latest evolution of the multi-tool from Gerber. Featuring forged, spring loaded jaws and G10 handles, the SHIFT takes multitool quality and durability to new levels. Assembled in Portland OR, the Shift is all about the features that matter most: large full fine edge and serrated blades are the stars, with diagonal cutters and wire stripper on the jaws, innovative new utility blade/scraper, magnetic bit driver and a combo bottle opener/pry bar. This full size butterfly open tool comes with a sheath and Gerber’s Lifetime Warranty.

Features:
•Forged Jaws•G10 Handles
•Bottle Opener / Pry Bar
•Large Fine Edge Blade
•Wire Stripper
•Diagonal Cutters
•Large Flat Driver
•Small Flat Driver
•Utility Blade /Scraper
•Wedge Lock
•Sheath
Specifications:
 Assembled in the USA

Information from Gerber

Just in case anyone missed this point. :D  Great info rdub934, thanks for that. :cheers:

And please, please let that bit driver take a standard bit set.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:13:28 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 01:30:00 AM

Features:
•Forged Jaws•G10 Handles
•Bottle Opener / Pry Bar
•Large Fine Edge Blade
•Wire Stripper
•Diagonal Cutters
•Large Flat Driver
•Small Flat Driver
•Utility Blade /Scraper
•Wedge Lock
•Sheath
Specifications:
 Assembled in the USA

Information from Gerber

Just in case anyone missed this point. :D  Great info rdub934, thanks for that. :cheers:

And please, please let that bit driver take a standard bit set.(Image removed from quote.)

This thing is definitely high end. But it baffles me a bit - no scissors or saw or file, but a serrated blade AND a plain edge blade. Why no can opener? Also, how is it that this thing is different lengths unfolded?  :think:

I like that it has a pry bar and a utility blade/scraper. Also, all of these new MTs only need to be opened for the pliers. All other implements are outside accessible.  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 01:35:39 AM
Yeah, I'd prefer a file to a serrated blade myself but I guess I can't have everything. :-\

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:31 AM
I would like to see an evolution of the oOTF Plier, like an improved Flik/Freehand, with useable outside blade/file/scissor and drivers inside maybe, but useable ones.
The Freehand reminded me of a T-Rex - Big Plier head and blades and tiny, stubby drivers.

I like the Shift from what i can see and the 2 Zipper pulls are tempting, too.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:54:38 AM by lowtech »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:02:26 AM
That Shift looks quite nice  :drool: However, the Bullrush seems to pretty much be a Crucial to me  :think: and on first glance the Guardians look like a ridiculous reversion to the bad tools of a few years ago I thought they were moving away from  :dwts:

Shame there's no Fiskars Scissors though :-\ and I'm undecided on the Zip Driver and light

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 07:12:47 PM
That Shift looks quite nice  :drool: However, the Bullrush seems to pretty much be a Crucial to me  :think: and on first glance the Guardians look like a ridiculous reversion to the bad tools of a few years ago I thought they were moving away from  :dwts:

Shame there's no Fiskars Scissors though :-\ and I'm undecided on the Zip Driver and light

you might be on to something.  Even if all they have done is improve the handle ergonomics it's not a waste of time though.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 08:56:10 PM
I am stoked on everything except for the Guardians - I concur with what 50ft-Trad says. The Shift would be more appealing to me if it had scissors in place of the serrated blade, but is still interesting with the prybar and scraper/utility blade. The Bullrush looks really nice, but pretty short on features. I am also not sure how useful the screwdriver that is combo'd with the strap cutter will be - maybe some clearance issues?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:51 PM
Here is a slightly different view and description found at gearjunkie. "Spring-loaded "jaws"" - Nice

Oregon-Made Multitool — Assembled in Portland, Ore., the Shift multitool from Gerber has spring-loaded “jaws” for grip and requisite implements like drivers and blades. Two knife blades — a full fine edge and a serrated — are included as well as a magnetic bit driver and a bottle opener the company says is strong enough to double as a tiny pry bar. $100.
8877.jpg
* 8877.jpg (Filesize: 12.52 KB)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 12:26:55 AM
I see a Shift in my future.... Please, STANDARD SIZE BITS!  Hope they don't pull a Balance with these and leave us drooling and waiting for a year to get our hands on them....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:34 AM
How utterly stupid. Putting a bit driver on a tool and still putting in all the different sized flat heads. What a waste of space.

Why do MT companies not understand, WE DO NOT LIKE REDUNDANCY.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 09:51:18 PM
Really doesn't make any sense does it? That thing does not even have a can opener - but it has two dedicated flats in addition to the bit driver

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:57:46 PM
I'm also convinced it's NOT going to be a standard bit driver. This tool is so unbalanced. On one arm you have a bit driver and two flat drivers. To mirror that is just a bottle opener (with another driver from the looks of it) and a scraper/utility blade ... that just doesn't add up ... and it certainly doesn't inspire confidence of a proper bit drriver

Maybe they misspelled the name  ;) :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 05:05:53 AM
Gerber Myth Archery MultiTool

KEY FEATURES
• 12 features
– 0-3/4" Adjustable Wrench
– Broadhead Wrench, Multi-Blade Design
– Cross Head Screwdriver
– Flat Head Screwdriver
– 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/74" Hex
– 1/8", 9/64", 5/32" Hex – 3/16" Hex (in adjustable jaw)
– Bottle Opener
– Lanyard Hole
• E-Z Lift Hex Wrenches
• Rubber Handle Scales
• Stainless Steel Construction
• Titanium Nitride Coating
• Broadhead Wrench on Top of Handle
TECH SPECS
• Overall Length Closed: 5.38"
• Hex Wrenches: 3.00"
• Weight: 5.9 oz.
• Steel Type: 4Cr14MoV
• Handle Material: Rubber Overmold
myth archery mt.jpg
* myth archery mt.jpg (Filesize: 83.05 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 05:07:33 AM
Gerber Myth Shotgun MultiTool

KEY FEATURES
• 6 features
– Most Popular Choke Tube Sizes
– Gun Disassembly Pin Punch
– Saw Blade
– Fine Edge Drop Point Blade
– 12" Retractable Beard & Spur Ruler
– Bird Carrying Lanyard
• Locking Components
• Rubber Handle Scales
• 12" Auto Tape Measure (imperial & metric)
• 18" Strap
TECH SPECS
• Overall Length Closed:4.0"
• Blade Length: 3.0"
• Steel Type: 5Cr15MoV
myth shotgun mt.jpg
* myth shotgun mt.jpg (Filesize: 63.86 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 08:13:42 AM

KEY FEATURES
• 12 features
– Cross Head Screwdriver
– Flat Head Screwdriver
– Bottle Opener
– Lanyard Hole
• E-Z Lift Hex Wrenches
• Rubber Handle Scales
TECH SPECS

I got all excited about the idea of this one, then I realised that it's not got metric hex heads. :cry:  It's not that I never use imperial, but they're rare around here compared to metric.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 06:38:13 PM

KEY FEATURES
• 12 features
– Cross Head Screwdriver
– Flat Head Screwdriver
– Bottle Opener
– Lanyard Hole
• E-Z Lift Hex Wrenches
• Rubber Handle Scales
TECH SPECS

That actually look like a pretty nice tool. To bad that the kind of archery I do is  the old fashioned kind with a good old wooden bow.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 06:48:31 PM

KEY FEATURES
• 12 features
– Cross Head Screwdriver
– Flat Head Screwdriver
– Bottle Opener
– Lanyard Hole
• E-Z Lift Hex Wrenches
• Rubber Handle Scales
TECH SPECS

That actually look like a pretty nice tool. To bad that the kind of archery I do is  the old fashioned kind with a good old wooden bow.

Yeah, not a lot of tools needed for one of these is there? :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:52 PM

KEY FEATURES
• 12 features
– Cross Head Screwdriver
– Flat Head Screwdriver
– Bottle Opener
– Lanyard Hole
• E-Z Lift Hex Wrenches
• Rubber Handle Scales
TECH SPECS

Yeah, not a lot of tools needed for one of these is there? :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Nope :) but its a lot more fun. The traditional archers here doesnt take themselves too seriously. Its usually 75% bow making talk and 25% archery :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 07:00:15 PM
That sounds like my air rife club; a good excuse to hang around and talk with some nice guys and occasionally shot a target or two. :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 07:04:04 PM
A bit like this place  ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 07:08:58 PM

Yes indeed. :D  Though it does occur to me the amount of talking i do at the club might explain why I'm still not a great shot. :whistle:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 07:31:52 PM
I think that both of these tools serve as a good complement to one another. The archery tool is awesome because it has the adjustable wrench and drivers. The shotgun tool is nice because it has a big blade and a saw. But individually, they are too niche specific for my edc, in my opinion.

The Myth line, as a whole, looks really sweet, though. All the implements are TiNi coated and the handles have rubber grips. Nice touches

no Offline Grathr

Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:22 PM

Yes indeed. :D  Though it does occur to me the amount of talking i do at the club might explain why I'm still not a great shot. :whistle:

I have the same problem :) I must admit that I am not a very good shot. My best result is a bronce medal at local competition.
There where however only three archers in my class...    :facepalm:

Archery is the only olympic sport I have heard of that serves hot dogs to the "athletes"  at halftime during the competitions. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 07:43:01 PM

I have the same problem :) I must admit that I am not a very good shot. My best result is a bronce medal at local competition.
There where however only three archers in my class...    :facepalm:

Archery is the only olympic sport I have heard of that serves hot dogs to the "athletes"  at halftime during the competitions. :D

:rofl:  I was just thinking that a bronze medal didn't sound to bad at all....then I read the next line. :D :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%