Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has anyone tried snuff?

kirk13 · 32 · 2619

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Has anyone tried snuff?
on: February 25, 2013, 11:58:19 PM
As the title says,has anyone tried snuff?

Can any of our UK members recommend a sorce?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Has anyone tried snuff?
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:12:19 AM
  Seen it used in some older movies, but no idea what it is made from. Asked my dad once and he said it was legalized cocaine.  :rofl:

Others around here, red neck types, say they prefer to chew it. So am assuming it is an odd form of tobacco?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:13:52 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:13:23 AM
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:22:11 AM
I tried it once :( :skull:
Smurfing horrible stuff,
 thebaccyshop.co.uk

Why would you want to try it?????? i thought i was having an asthma attack!!! :rofl:

Offline landwomble

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:26:08 AM
Dry  snuff is horrible. Swish style snuss though, is interesting. Moist tobacco you put under your lip. My swedish colleagues let me try some and I was quite impressed. Bad for you  but nothing like a bad as smoking it...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:43:33 AM
Dry snuff isn't pleasant IMO.  Moist snuff or dipping tobacco is also a bit nasty.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipping_tobacco   Gives you quite the nicotine hit though.....  It's been a long time since I did either of them. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:08:29 AM
My grandpa use to chew snuff years ago. It came in a 1" around  by 2" high tin. I chewed tobacco, Skoal and Redman, while I was in the Army years ago. I'll stick to cigars now.

Sent from Endor via Schlapatok
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:04 AM
DO NOT TRY IT!  :ahhh  :ahhh
As a 15 year former addict it is not worth it to start. There are more rewarding things in life. Plus the money you save you will be able to buy more multis.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:28:47 AM by THE_LONGBOW »

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:34:03 AM
Tobacco in any shape or form is bad, bad, bad!!!   :rant:

Nicotine is TEN TIMES more addictive than heroin or opium!  It's literally the most addictive chemical known to man.  It's not because of its chemical properties; on that end, opium or heroin are much more addictive.  It's that nicotine is particularly insidious in that its mechanism of action occurs in the limbic system, IIRC the substantia-nigra (SN) which has been strongly implicated in neurophysiology research as being the "reward-center" of the brain.  The SN, as part of the limbic system, has strong interconnections with the hippocampus, which has been proven to be the crucial brain structure in the formation of long term memories, so it plays a particularly important role in habit formation.  Thus, it's the formation of memories with the action of the nicotine in the SN that makes it so incredibly addicting.  In other words, by itself it's no big deal, but in human neurophysiology, it gets tied in to the basic emotional functioning and regulation in the brain, which is why its so damn hard to kick a smoking habit.  It literally ties itself in to the other fundamental workings of your brain.

So if you haven't started; DON'T!  Nicotine is BAD BAD BAD stuff!!!!   Don't get me started on the perils of smoking that kind of crap either...  :whistle:  I'll spare you my rants about it. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:35:49 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 11:52:05 PM
Anyone considering trying dipping snuff needs to google some mouth cancer photos prior to making that choice. A truly horrible product with even more horrifying results.

I remember high school in Oklahoma, every goat roping wannabe cowboy had a pinch tween their cheek and gum and a spit cup on the dash of their pickemup truck. Thank the Lord I had enough sense not to get on that stuff. I've no doubt more than a few have experienced the joys of mouth cancer by now.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:54:52 PM
Yeah id rather not get addicted to something that can give me cancer but everything seems to do that these days   ::)
I

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 12:03:57 AM
I looked into snuff based on this thread, only to find my home town has the worlds oldest snuff mill on Snuff Mill Lane which still has a functioning water wheel .... and I knew nothing about it (the company, the mill, or the lane) :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:04:38 AM
Anyone considering trying dipping snuff needs to google some mouth cancer photos prior to making that choice. A truly horrible product with even more horrifying results.

I remember high school in Oklahoma, every goat roping wannabe cowboy had a pinch tween their cheek and gum and a spit cup on the dash of their pickemup truck. Thank the Lord I had enough sense not to get on that stuff. I've no doubt more than a few have experienced the joys of mouth cancer by now.

Overhere in the uk, snuff is taken by snorting, it was taken by the miners who couldn't smoke while down the pit(coalmine), here there was a large rise in nasal cancer in the mining community, then in the eighties we had skol bandits, basically chewing tobacco and snuff combined in a little package that was held between jaw n cheek, within 3 years it was banned in the uk as the rate of throat/mouth cancer soared!! i smoke but english snuff combined with tobacco is 30-40% more harmful!!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 11:22:02 PM
Thank you all for the sensible advice.

Needless to say I ignored it,and tried the snuff Grumpy kindly got for me and.....

Meh!

Experiment successfully concluded.Think I'll stick to beer and my ration of two cigars a year!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 11:27:14 PM
As a tobacco user :( I strongly agree with the other are saying. I wish I had never started. I've tried to quit many times and like Heinz has said it's very addictive. Please don't start.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 11:31:59 PM
I'm not...just needed to try it!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 01:47:23 AM
Am I the only one who has tried the powdered snuff and actually liked it? :P  As others have said I'd be the last person to recommend you get hooked on the stuff, but it is a form of tobacco that I personally never found habit forming.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 10:37:27 AM
To be honest I've never found cigarettes or cigars habit forming.But saying that I'm the sort of person that limits Thier coffee intake to avoid being hooked!

Now chocolate,that's a whole(nut) different ball game  :drool:

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 03:23:28 AM
I used snuff (Copenhagen) for awhile.  I stopped using it very quickly one day.  Some friends adn I were sitting in a bar waiting for the band to start playing.  I had a dip in my lower lip when in walked a small group of attractive young women come to our table.  They knew one of guys in our group, but I did not know them.  I realized very quickly that that little bulge of tobacco in my face did nothing to make me look like a guy that these girls would like to get to know.  I went to the restroom and disposed of the evil dip and never used it again.  That was about 28 years ago.
Tick Magnet

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 03:32:48 AM
  What is scarier is on a fire camp, chew is everywhere. Seeing women chewing made me sick on the spot. Bad enough guys did it, but... eww.  :facepalm:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:30 PM
Kirky Boy was kind enough to forward on the tin of snuff he had tried for me to have a go with. I found it was OK though maybe a little ... peppery, and thought I might get on with it better if it was a different kind and not just a tobacco blend.

Yesterday 18 small tins of snuff (the powdered nasal kind) in a wide variety of "flavours" dropped through my letter box to try out, and I have tried a couple of them and find them (or the ones I've tried so far) to be better than the one John forwarded on. I've taken a tin of "Rum & Raisin" with me to work today and it's cut my nipping outside for a ciggy down by at least half, and I've hardly made a dent in the tin's contents. Last night I figured that if I used up all the snuff that's arrived in place of some of the daily roll ups (it wouldn't replace it altogether), I'd probably be about £100 ($150) better off by the time I'd finished the tins. Based on this morning though, I reckon that figure could even be higher  :o

Time will tell how long a tin actually lasts, and whether I stick with it or it all becomes drawer fodder (like the electronic cigs became) - or vacuum cleaner fodder if I drop a tin like I've nearly done a few times - but I'm pleasantly surprised in this very early stage. I also quite like ... kind of ... the cues it gives you as to what you are actually doing to your system. Have a cigarette and you are blissfully ignorant most of the time as to what is happening to your insides. Blow your snout after a sniff or two on this gear, and you know EXACTLY what's happening in there  :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 09:37:48 AM
Never tried Rum and Rasin snuff. :D  I really do not know the health implications of nasal snuff, but cutting down on the smokes cannot be a bad thing.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 10:06:01 AM
I for one think you're VERY brave ingesting ANYTHING Kirky sent you after all the ribbing you give him !  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 10:26:08 AM
Never tried Rum and Rasin snuff. :D  I really do not know the health implications of nasal snuff, but cutting down on the smokes cannot be a bad thing.

To be honest, I don't think there's much empirical data out there at all .... probably because not enough people do it  :think: My current thinking is that noses are way more equipped to deal with dust particles than lungs are to deal with sticky tar  :-\ Beyond that ... who nose  :P

I for one think you're VERY brave ingesting ANYTHING Kirky sent you after all the ribbing you give him !  :rofl:

Me? Never :angel:

It's all Kirky's fault - he lured me in

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 12:11:33 PM

The worst snuff related death I heard of(and its hundreds of years ago) is a guy having ingested spider eggs in his herbal snuff blend.They hatched and made a nest in his nasal passages,and started taking over....

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 03:08:25 PM
 :o Holy smurf!!  Al, if your nose starts to really tickle just remember: it's all Kirky's fault. :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 04:28:02 PM

:o Holy smurf!!  Al, if your nose starts to really tickle just remember: it's all Kirky's fault. :D
:rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 11:46:50 PM
No fear of me forgeting that mate  ;)

Well it's been over a week now, so plenty of time to get bored and throw it all in the bin  :P but it's still all going on. Here's what I've found so far .....

Some of them are harsh, and I'd go as far to say painful, but at £1 a tin it's no great loss to discover which are pleasant and which are to be reserved for inflicting pain on unsuspecting persons  >:D Some of them leave you with a lasting scent up yer snout, whilst others are just fleeting (the chocolate orange one is lovely, but only lasts a few seconds).

They all do help stave off the urge for a ciggie, for a while at least, and coupled with the resurection of the electronic ciggies from the drawer are keeping my inhaled tar content lower than it's been for a long time. I think part of this is also what happens when you blow your nose  :ahhh :ahhh and serves as a constant reminder that intaking tobacco products into your system is doing stuff you don't otherwise want to think about, and would rather pretend wasn't happening. There's no luxury of such pretending with this stuff. In the long term I can see this being a big benefit providing I do not revert to the comfort of my blissful ignorance.

Healthwise on it's own ... well quite frankly no one has a clue. It's use is not widespread enough to provoke extensive studies. We do know that the product still contains over 60 known carcinogens, but not how easy it is or not for those substances to have adverse effects when administered nasally. I still think that the nose is better equipped to cope with it than lungs are, but I still wouldn't be naive enough to say the lack of empirical data means it's risk free, or even low risk ... it's just that the risks haven't been quantified.

Another thing I've noticed is that it's very important to keep your fluid intake up. It will dry you out a bit if you haven't got a healthy fluid intake which can lead to a bit of soreness, so there's another daily prompter to change something for the better

For the Brits ... I've just discovered that this is the origin of the term "toffee nosed" for the upper classes, and stems from the period when snuff was not yet available for the masses and resided purely in exotic porcalain pots in grand houses, and the nostrils of their affluent residents. Never knew that  :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:58:21 PM by 50ft-trad »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 12:49:10 AM
What you need now is a really good snuff box. ;)

No, I'm not kidding, that really is a snuff box.  Very popular with C19th Military and was pushed around the officers mess table.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 01:01:09 AM
Can't see me having one on my coffee table mate. I can see me having a fun night exploring my cocktail cabinet, then braying it with a Chris Caine survival tool for staring at me and freaking me out  :P :D :D

What's the shiny stuff on the chain meant to be?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD