Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

plier head

Offline T_outdoors568

plier head
on: February 27, 2013, 11:36:03 PM
how do I tighten the plier head on my wingman? It has a lot of play

us Offline baja820

Re: plier head
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:25:22 AM
T10 torx?
God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

us Offline nelg

• Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar ??
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:39:31 AM
If you are talking about the slop play in the generic spring loaded piler head it`s self . The only thing you can do is send it in for warranty and hope they send you a good one back. Leatherman should ask Gerber where they get their generic spring loaded pliers.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:31:17 AM
I own 2 Wingman and a sidekick (Thanks to some of our fellow enablers...). The Sidekick has no noticeable play, but both wingman do. If you want to try it yourself, you can take a bigger centrepunch and put a nice mark into the centre of the plierheads rivet. then flatten the surface with a big flat punch - this  will "widen" the rivet somewhat and reduce the play. It will also void your warranty. and i don´t know how those heads look inside, so go slow not to damage or bind teh internal spring mechanism.

se Offline Sjoqvist

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:45:33 PM
I own 2 Wingman and a sidekick (Thanks to some of our fellow enablers...). The Sidekick has no noticeable play, but both wingman do. If you want to try it yourself, you can take a bigger centrepunch and put a nice mark into the centre of the plierheads rivet. then flatten the surface with a big flat punch - this  will "widen" the rivet somewhat and reduce the play. It will also void your warranty. and i don´t know how those heads look inside, so go slow not to damage or bind teh internal spring mechanism.

I did that on my beater LM Kick and it worked out really well. I put 2 marks on the "plier pivot" though, one on each side closer to the "edges". Your method sounds like a better idea though :think: Be careful not to punch too hard though as it could "lock" your pliers closed  :ahhh

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:58:17 PM
I have a Supertool original that develop a huge slop in the plier joint.  Knowing how the joint made, I knew what was necessary to tighten it up.  It ain't pretty but it worked, I used a prick punch and made a series of dimples in the joint axle, forcing more of the axle outward.  It is tight now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%