Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How often do you see people carrying multitools?

enki_ck · 113 · 12923

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
How often do you see people carrying multitools?
on: February 28, 2013, 08:52:39 PM
I never do. :think: The only people I know that own them have either had them gifted from me of bought them from me. :D OK, olso a couple of roadies I know that got them for work. I sometimes see and odd knockoff in someones tool box, someone actually carrying them, rarely if ever.  :-\  It may be cause of the crazy prices we have to pay for them over here, but still makes me wonder. 

So how often do you see a multitool sheath on someones belt? Or see someone using one?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: How often do you see people carrying multitools?
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:59:29 PM
Once a year, not counting those that have multitools and SAKs that I gave them.

Only firemen are likely to have something like that on them.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:05:04 PM
most trades i see doing remodels have multitools on them. My friend from another team even had an emerson blade his girl got for him. Told him she's a keeper. ;)
Drywallers had a scrade toughtool the other night, quite a few gerber 400/600s, a few fuse,blast models, newbie carries a coast, and i have seen a surge with bit kit and a wave.

Just on a trip provision shopping at wal-mart i see most blue collar folks sporting one plus some sort of blade with a clip in the pocket.
:like:    :MTO:

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:07:43 PM
Very rarely in my country...
I've seen few people carrying basic sak's or some knockoffs, but that's it.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:09 PM
Not often enough. See them sometimes at work. (construction company)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:17 PM
Normally I don't see anyone, it's a shame really. When I am backpacking though, only unprepared people are lacking an mt or sak or at least some kind of knife.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:15:01 PM
Only place I've seen them was people at seacadets... That's how I got into MT's, actually :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07:57 PM
i think people in the UK know to keep 'knives' out of general sight.
i once met a nice chap who had TWO leatherman pouches on his belt, he was running a stall at my local bootfair. he had an old style wave,and a charge TTI his wife had recently brought him as a gift. when i questioned him about the pouch, after his initial surprise/suspicion, he was willing to chat and compare hardware (i was packing  :whistle:)
he was definately a multi-type person, just like you'd meet here at MT.O (maybe he is lurking here, i don't remember getting his name) it must be a 'trait' that we all are quite a friendly bunch, and like to make friends and help out/mend things ?
i've met some people with SAK's, normally keyring sized. and a foreman on a job i worked always wore a leather victorinox pouch, it was 20 years ago before i was properly 'bitten' by the bug, but i would imagine it must have been a 'swisschamp' or similar. I don't recall the miserable old smurf ever using it, nor helping anyone with anything.
can't think of any more examples ....oh !....and i once met Kirk13 for real, but i keep that quiet  :whistle:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:10 PM
Tradesman:  All the time.  My farrier carries an old SuperTool.

The guys working on the house have various multitools.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:26:57 PM
All the time, which isn't too surprising considering I work in the home improvement field.  Besides whatever I'm carrying on me, my boss carries a US made Schrade Tough Tool every day.  I see Waves, both new and old, Blasts, MP600s, and others, along with SAKs running the gamut from classics to old Wengers with dog leg can openers to the Spartan with custom wood scales a cabinet maker made for himself.  :tu:  There are tools in my collection that have been lent to guys to let them try a particular model before they go out and buy as well. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline landwomble

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:38:03 PM
Never. I'm in the UK and just having a screwdriver to hand seems to amaze and delight people. It's weird, I know we have odd knife laws but even a penknife is an exotic beast here. I always have a LM Squirt and a fauxton on my keying and 90% of the time a Cybertool 34 and a decent slipjoint too. Fixed a thousand things in the office over the years with zero fuss...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:40:36 PM
Reasonably often. I usually ask people about them if possible.

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 04:40:07 AM
Quite a few on job sites , and a few in EDC bags . Sak's aren't rare .

Chris

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 05:05:17 AM
I'd say I see maybe one multitool a week always leatherman or Gerber.

I see more people carrying folding knives
I have also rarely seen a mag light on a belt.

Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 10:27:34 AM
Hardly ever on display in any obvious fashion.

I have seen the odd MT pulled out of a pocket or bag, but more often a SAK.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 01:09:17 PM
I also see them quite often here at work, and around home improvement type stores usually.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:59 PM
Not often at all. There must be some people carrying them around but in general MTs are seen as gimmicks in Greece AFAIK. In Athens were I've lived almost my entire life I believe I never saw someone with a MT (by the way decent ones are hard to find here). Apart from my self (when carrying my bag) I know only one person that carries a MT but he's craftsman making models, sceneries etc for an advertising company. Given that SAKs count as multis I know 3! people that own one. In the countryside it is a bit mory customary carrying some small blade on your person but other than that I wouldn't expect much. So if you ever come sunbathing in this part of the world do come prepered -bring lots of sunscreen and you favorite MT.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 04:04:20 PM
I've only noticed a handful of people sporting a Leatherman sheath since I became a fan of MTs.  My father in law always has a Leatherman on his belt (currently the Rebar we got him for his bday last year), and he had a Charge and Blast before that (both broken). 

I work at a bank, so I don't carry mine in a sheath, and don't see anyone else doing so either.  I really doubt anyone here has a MT on them, but I have seen one guy pull out a folding knife.  I think our janitor carries some sort of MT in a sheath that I've noticed, but I can't identify the sheath, and have never asked him about it. 

Outside of that, I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 others with a MT on their belt.  I'm sure there are more considering the area I live in, but I just don't see many I guess. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline David

Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 04:39:08 PM
Every day. Quite at few at work. People around here can still openly carry knives and tools and do.   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 05:00:15 PM
I see a few here and there. They tend to be from outdoor going types ie snowboarders, downhill bikers or farmers. Often I'll ask how it has been for them and we end up talking about the pros or cons etc.

A guy trying to fix his snowchains with a Fuse was pretty happy to use my Surge. Another guy scoffed when I used my Charge Ti to fix a saddle and pulled out his Supertool 200, so I pulled out my Supertool 300 to show him and got 'two! why the smurf would you want two?'. Funny how he was happy to buy a horse I had trained for years but couldn't accept that a nut and bolt has two ends and I must be smurfed in the head because of my tool carry.

Off topic rant. smurfen hate it when I come across people who claim their horse has this or that problem and that it can't be fixed or they've tried everything. Grrrr!! When 99% of the time it is the owners doing causing the issue and they would rather neglect the animal over changing their habits or learning some basic handling skills. Dumb smurfwits.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:26 PM
Its the same problem with dogs and it frustrates me to no end.

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 05:23:58 PM
I hear that. People are often amazed at how happy their dogs are to see me. I wonder why? Another one is birds in cages.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 05:33:34 PM
don't start me off  :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 05:49:53 PM
About a month ago I meet a guy carring a Pulse, said his wife bought it for him when they first came out.

Last year at a job I asked the owner what he had in the sheath on his belt. It was a small no brand lockback knife. He asked why and I said I thought he might have a multitool. A couple weeks ago I was there again and he pulls me aside to ask my opinion on the Rebar! Said while he uses the knife every day he couldn't help but think how handy a multitool would be. Didn't want a million things in it, just the basics. I loaned him my Charge Ti and Supertool 300 for the day and had to laugh cause when he gave them back his wife asked what we were doing and he said 'nothing dear'.

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:20 PM
Not often at all. There must be some people carrying them around but in general MTs are seen as gimmicks in Greece AFAIK.
Same here in Italy.
Antonio

gr Offline firiki

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 06:04:16 PM

Grrrr!! When 99% of the time it is the owners doing causing the issue and they would rather neglect the animal over changing their habits or learning some basic handling skills.
:facepalm: True

gr Offline firiki

Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 06:08:26 PM
Not often at all. There must be some people carrying them around but in general MTs are seen as gimmicks in Greece AFAIK.
Same here in Italy.
@ SolomonKane79: Suddenly I don't know if I should be feeling better or worse. Thanks for the info anyways
Cheers
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:10:39 PM by firiki »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 06:37:58 PM
Same here in Italy.
@ SolomonKane79: Suddenly I don't know if I should be feeling better or worse. Thanks for the info anyways
Cheers

Mt's are no gimmick, if it wasn't for my mt I would have to walk back and forth to the workshop or not be able to do roadside repairs on my bike or help others out and the list goes on and on  :ahhh gimmick oh no  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 08:15:07 PM
Same here in Italy.
Cheers

Mt's are no gimmick, if it wasn't for my mt I would have to walk back and forth to the workshop or not be able to do roadside repairs on my bike or help others out and the list goes on and on  :ahhh gimmick oh no  :tu:

You tell 'em :salute: :tu:
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 08:43:34 PM
I'm not saying they are but if I had to explain this disposition towards MTs then I'd be inclined to mention that not many quality MTs are around nor many people using them in public. I mean before reading about them here in MTo I hadn't heard of Leatherman or SOG. Now I know there are places they sell them but mostly these are group-specific shops addressing outdoors fans/survivalists(?) needs but no hardware stores and I find them pricey for what they offer. In addition to that I've seen some really crappy ones, deplorable enough to cheer you up provided that you hadn't bought them. All these factors together give MTs a bad rep around here I think that's all.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD