Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How often do you see people carrying multitools?

enki_ck · 113 · 12947

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: How often do you see people carrying multitools?
Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 09:46:22 PM
It's somewhat common here in Jax Fl to see people carrying knives / mts on their belt.  I've even seen some people carry fixed blades on their belts (who can justify work necessity of course). 

I guess it depends on what city/state youre in whether you see people carrying or not.  I wouldn't feel comfortable without carrying my REBAR, Explorer, Pioneer and Rambler.
SAW

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 02:27:13 AM
I see a few a month, lately I've been more into folders than mt's so i look for pocket clips more, I have only seen one spyderco clip.

Sent from my own private Idaho
hi

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 03:30:11 AM
I see them everyday.  There are multiple people in the office and shop that carry them.  I even know one guy that carry's one and can't remember the last time he used it.  It is a nice original Supertool. 

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 06:06:19 AM
I see them pretty much daily living in a military town. Soldiers pretty much live for MTs and SAKs, it's in our blood :think:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:52 AM
It's somewhat common here in Jax Fl to see people carrying knives / mts on their belt.  I've even seen some people carry fixed blades on their belts (who can justify work necessity of course). 

I guess it depends on what city/state youre in whether you see people carrying or not.  I wouldn't feel comfortable without carrying my REBAR, Explorer, Pioneer and Rambler.

I think you and I are very similar in our MT/SAK EDC mentality and preference :tu:  We also have very good taste 8)
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 10:35:53 PM

I think you and I are very similar in our MT/SAK EDC mentality and preference :tu:  We also have very good taste 8)
Cheers Monrogue  :cheers:
SAW

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 04:31:53 PM
There's a great gap between USA and Europe of course. Beside that, if i were an employer i would make MTs carrying mandatory. I often see workers waisting so much time going back and forth to the toolbox often forgotten in the truck, to get a smurfy philips for example.
Antonio

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 05:31:15 PM
Not very often, but more than normal for the UK I suspect.  I've seen a couple on tradesmen that I've had to call in for one reason or another, but also the fact I see a lot of backpackers (I work in a hostel).  Backpackers are the type of folks who'll often have a SAK or the occasional MT on them.

I've also got one other guy at work who carries a Skeletool and a Style.  I had to be polite about the Skele as he loves it, I on the other hand am not a huge fan. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 07:33:59 PM
There are some groups of people in which MT use is pretty common (travelling technicians for example) but apart from them I hardly ever see them. My boss has a Swisstool that he keeps in a drawer (fat lot of good that is) but everyone else at work just carries folding knives and toolboxes.

ETA: Something that occurs to me... I often carry my MT in my pocket so you wouldn't see me with a pouch most of the time. The particular type of trousers I like has a pocket inside one of the leg pockets that fits a Wave just perfectly.

us Offline SwissArmy Zippo

Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 11:15:45 PM
Seen a guy at Costco the other day looked like he had a pst. I mainly just see pocket clips from knives.

us Offline bleedingthumb

• I EDC Band-aids.
Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:15 PM
I see multitools in use or riding in a belt sheath occasionally. Most people around here don't carry one, but they are not really rare, either. I see folders clipped to pockets more often. I think SAKs are actually very common, but are usually hidden in pockets.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 01:48:39 AM
I am in the USAF and I see them A LOT. Currently, I am a facility manager and I would say there are three or four of us that have a MT either in a pocket or on our belts every tour. Probably half of us have a MT in easy reach such as a pack or locker. My Superintendant carries a beautiful Charge TTi, another guy I work with has an MP600 - we have actually talked tools for a few minutes in the past. I see a lot of our civil engineer speSmurfpillsts carrying various tools - in the past I have encountered a Charge ALX, ST300, and a Surge. Also, I used to post regularly with a chef that carried an BO MP600. The Security Forces guys and gals that are on site with me usually have some cool stuff, too. Just a few weeks ago I had a young man with a SOG Powerlock that he let me cut a nickle in half with :drool:!

I few of the farmer types that I go to church with carry MTs occasionally. My buddy has an unknown LM (I have never seen it and he doesn't know what type it is) and his father in law carries one of the LM's with rubber handles - I just saw it Saturday at the Awana Grand Prix (wooden gravity-powered car race(I used the file on my Wave in the making of my Son's car :tu:)). Another friend of mine is a Firefighter and he carries an unspecified "leatherman"

Finally, in my primary career field, I am a POLcat and most of our maintenance pukes carry some type of "leatherman" - meaning Gerber, SOG, or genuine Leatherman. When I have deployed in the past, I saw a bunch of MT's amongst the Soldiers, Marines, and other Airmen.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 04:38:14 AM
When I was a Webelos den-leader in cub-scouts, I saw lots of people carrying them, particularly the other adult leaders.  Lots of parents too.  Now that I'm no longer a scout leader, mostly only on people who are in the construction or service trades. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 02:22:42 PM
Almost all the police officers I see have a LM MT on their belts  8)

It surprises me when I still see those original old leather LM PST sheaths on fellas belts.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 07:28:52 PM
I'm not saying they are but if I had to explain this disposition towards MTs then I'd be inclined to mention that not many quality MTs are around nor many people using them in public. I mean before reading about them here in MTo I hadn't heard of Leatherman or SOG. Now I know there are places they sell them but mostly these are group-specific shops addressing outdoors fans/survivalists(?) needs but no hardware stores and I find them pricey for what they offer. In addition to that I've seen some really crappy ones, deplorable enough to cheer you up provided that you hadn't bought them. All these factors together give MTs a bad rep around here I think that's all.  :cheers:

Then you probably haven't met the right guys... :multi: Honestly, I never leave home without at least my Spirit. I got the ailment from my father and grandpa who always had a penknife in their pocket, and passed it on to my friends and coworkers, most of which are now toting MTs and SAKs. That's of course in addition to other EDC-type items, such as flashlights, lighters, etc. >:D The prices are indeed up there in downtown shops (e.g., Monastiraki, Alpamayo, etc.), but you can strike real bargains online (ebay, amazon, etc.). The thing with multitools (and SAKs etc.) is not that they're gimmicky, but that our knife carry laws are so vague and grey that presenting any knife in public may draw unwanted attention. That means that there may be many MTs and knives around you right now, but they're almost never openly carried in belt sheaths or keychains etc.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 08:04:39 PM
Not exactly someone carrying a multi, but this was neat enough I have to share.  This morning I was helping a customer get one of our rental floor sanders set up.  We went to get some of the disks, which were shrink wrapped.  We both grabbed our pen knives, held them out, and laughed.  In our hands? Identical Case Peanuts in CV with yellow handles.  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 08:17:00 PM
Not exactly someone carrying a multi, but this was neat enough I have to share.  This morning I was helping a customer get one of our rental floor sanders set up.  We went to get some of the disks, which were shrink wrapped.  We both grabbed our pen knives, held them out, and laughed.  In our hands? Identical Case Peanuts in CV with yellow handles.  :)

Nice. Now imagine two ladies walking into a fancy restaurant wearing the same piece of seduction gear.  :rofl:

I'm not saying they are but if I had to explain this disposition towards MTs then I'd be inclined to mention that not many quality MTs are around nor many people using them in public. I mean before reading about them here in MTo I hadn't heard of Leatherman or SOG. Now I know there are places they sell them but mostly these are group-specific shops addressing outdoors fans/survivalists(?) needs but no hardware stores and I find them pricey for what they offer. In addition to that I've seen some really crappy ones, deplorable enough to cheer you up provided that you hadn't bought them. All these factors together give MTs a bad rep around here I think that's all.  :cheers:

Then you probably haven't met the right guys... :multi: Honestly, I never leave home without at least my Spirit. I got the ailment from my father and grandpa who always had a penknife in their pocket ... ... The thing with multitools (and SAKs etc.) is not that they're gimmicky, but that our knife carry laws are so vague and grey that presenting any knife in public may draw unwanted attention. That means that there may be many MTs and knives around you right now, but they're almost never openly carried in belt sheaths or keychains etc.

*Sigh* I suppose you're right. I know some people carry some kind of blade or multi of some sort but in my everyday life I can't say I see much action, be this good or bad.

My father's side of the family are indeed EDCers, I was a black sheep for a while but that's over now.  :tool: I've always been a Vic fan, to my eyes they set the standards by which I judge other stuff and I worship the Spirit. My friends mock me for my, ahem, obsession with Victorinox goodies (among other EDC/outdoors stuff) but I get to sneer at them occasionaly.  :D 
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:03 PM
Ah, those moments when they need that "polikatsavidi" or "marafeti me to psalidi" and come asking for it...  :dd: :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:57:43 PM by Nikos »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 11:07:12 AM
Yeah, when, after all the scorning, they come asking for that "multiscrewdriver" or thar "gismo-thing with scissors of yours" one is bound to find it priceless. Harf, harf, harf  8)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 01:25:07 PM

Nice. Now imagine two ladies walking into a fancy restaurant wearing the same piece of seduction gear.  :rofl:

Then you probably haven't met the right guys... :multi: Honestly, I never leave home without at least my Spirit. I got the ailment from my father and grandpa who always had a penknife in their pocket ... ... The thing with multitools (and SAKs etc.) is not that they're gimmicky, but that our knife carry laws are so vague and grey that presenting any knife in public may draw unwanted attention. That means that there may be many MTs and knives around you right now, but they're almost never openly carried in belt sheaths or keychains etc.

*Sigh* I suppose you're right. I know some people carry some kind of blade or multi of some sort but in my everyday life I can't say I see much action, be this good or bad.

My father's side of the family are indeed EDCers, I was a black sheep for a while but that's over now.  :tool: I've always been a Vic fan, to my eyes they set the standards by which I judge other stuff and I worship the Spirit. My friends mock me for my, ahem, obsession with Victorinox goodies (among other EDC/outdoors stuff) but I get to sneer at them occasionaly.  :D

I was in Crete a long time ago and some people seemed to be happy carrying a lot more than knives  ;) and telling everybody about it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline firiki

Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 01:49:53 PM
I was in Crete a long time ago and some people seemed to be happy carrying a lot more than knives  ;) and telling everybody about it.

They are notorious for getting really psyched with weapons down there. I love their traditional knife and great food.
Practice target 2 Crete.jpg
* Practice target 2 Crete.jpg (Filesize: 132.16 KB)
Practice target Crete.jpg
* Practice target Crete.jpg (Filesize: 78.2 KB)
Cretan dagger.jpg
* Cretan dagger.jpg (Filesize: 93.93 KB)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:54:55 PM by firiki »

de Offline trailmaster

Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 03:55:44 PM
esp in rural crete, many people may carry both legal and illegal firearms. technically that is not legal, because even legal firearms (practically shotguns for hunting purposes, that's the easiest firearm to own legally in Greece) are not legal to carry outside of the original context (ie hunting). however in crete these things are overlooked. this relative liberty has bad sides too, especially when guns are carried by people with little actual training on them and a lot of temper, as it happens in most cases.

all my life in athens, it was very rare to see anyone doing a white collar job carrying any short of knife or multitool. most people would immediately flag anything with a blade as a would be weapon. perhaps the disconnection from nature and the very vague knife laws contribute to that.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 07:54:44 PM
We just got back from Lunch at an Indian buffet that we love. There was a gentleman there with a Gerber sheath and Victorinox sheath on his belt. I couldn't find a reasonable moment to strike up a conversation, so don't know what was in the them. It looked to be a smallish Gerber, probably like an MP400 size. The Victorinox sheath was also small (a good deal smaller than the Gerber one), so likely had a 93 or 91mm, and probably not one more than 5 layers thick.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 08:13:45 PM
Just twice in my whole life. One, when I was in the army. Most NCO's had PSTs for fixing the Chinooks and Hueys. It was 1998 and I was a physician in the Army Air Force.
Next it was a month ago. I was in a Victorinox and Leatherman shop and a MT geek showed me his SpiritX and I showed him my XLT.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #54 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:27 PM
Now I think of it, that geek might have been Nikos or Firiki.
I've seen many Victorinox SAKs and a few Wengers here though, most are Spartans, Climbers, Huntsmen or some kind of 58mm.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #55 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:38 AM
Or Aleister ;) Nah, it wasn't me. I don't talk to strangers until they 've lured me with at least a Vic Classic :P

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #56 on: April 16, 2013, 12:30:41 PM
While we were in Cuba I had seen quite a few guys carrying MT's on the resort, and one of the guides on the Jeep Safari we went on had a SwissTool on his belt and used it to fix a lift strut on one of the hatches of the Zotye.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #57 on: April 16, 2013, 01:46:09 PM
The only people I've seen carrying some sort of multitool here are my friend/colleague at work, he has a Leatherman Fuse, but he only has it with him when he goes fishing, and one of the security guards at the hospital where I work, he has a Victorinox pouch on his belt, but I have no idea what's inside of it ...

All the other people I know who carry tools (my father and brother) do so because I gave them these (a Leatherman Crater C33T and a vic Explorer) for their birthday  :D.

Edit: My sons also insist on carrying their "First Vics" everytime we go out for a walk  ::).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:48:15 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 08:33:25 PM
I was in court today with the CEO of the company I work. For lunch we had some rolls that we had to cut open. I had left my Vic pioneer and manager in the car( we where after all in a courthouse) but my CEO pulled out a Wenger Fisherman from his pocket!   :o
(there were no metal detectors at the courthouse)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #59 on: April 26, 2013, 11:01:16 PM
Or Aleister ;) Nah, it wasn't me. I don't talk to strangers until they 've lured me with at least a Vic Classic :P
No, it wasn't me either, forty years of Athens were enough for me, so I left the big city in favor of a quiet Pelion village :)

Back on topic, I've only seen a handful of people carrying MTs or SAKs openly. From the people I know, my father only carries a tiny 30 years old rusted Opinel on his keys (he didn't even find use for the classic I gave him), my brother keeps the Climber I gifted him beside his bed :D and a few ITs or computer technicians carry an MT or SAK in their bags or pockets.

I think most people in Greece (especially in the big cities) don't quite get the usefulness of a knife / MT / SAK until they need it and none else can provide it to them. And the law doesn't help either. I remember once I used a SAK to cut the drivers seat belt of a rolled over car after an accident in the city. It was early at night, about 8pm, and twenty knifeless people gathered around the car in a few minutes trying to McGyver a way to help the driver out. As soon as I cut the belt, I immediately left... If the "wrong kind" of policemen arrived there, I could have been arrested for carrying it!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:03:42 PM by Aleister »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD