Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mystery SAK

gb Offline David James Inc

Mystery SAK
on: April 02, 2024, 05:28:48 PM
Hi Guys. Just wondering whether anyone can help me out.
I'm currently making an inventory of my SAKs and have become stumped when trying to identifying this one.
I always thought it was a Golfer but after consulting the Wiki It doesn't appear to be the case, unless of course I'm wrong which is not unusual.
So I'm handing it over to you guys in order to try and resolve. Thank you in advance.

* IMG_0256.jpg (Filesize: 278.1 KB)

* IMG_0257.jpg (Filesize: 275.79 KB)
“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Mystery SAK
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 05:50:37 PM
Assuming this link is correct, that looks to be a 1980s Compact, which is similar to the current Compact but lacks the hook and has a screw-pivot on the scissor.

See this link, which has the correct description but an inaccurate pic.

https://www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Vintage-Knives/Compact-Vintage-History.htm

:cheers:

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 05:58:58 PM
Assuming this link is correct, that looks to be a 1980s Compact, which is similar to the current Compact but lacks the hook and has a screw-pivot on the scissor.

See this link, which has the correct description but an inaccurate pic.

https://www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Vintage-Knives/Compact-Vintage-History.htm

:cheers:

I thought the same but the lack of pin, mini screwdriver and hook seemed to muddy this theory.
“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 06:09:28 PM
Looks like my 1980s Golfer, just missing the mini screwdriver (they are easily lost as I found out on more than 1 occasion…..  :facepalm:) which morphed into the Compact with the addition of the backside hook/nailfile.

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 06:11:50 PM
Looks like my 1980s Golfer, just missing the mini screwdriver (they are easily lost as I found out on more than 1 occasion…..  :facepalm:) which morphed into the Compact with the addition of the backside hook/nailfile.

Definitely no mini screwdriver when I bought it new. 

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 07:54:07 PM
The golfer didn't originally come with any golfing tools or a hook until later revisions.  The pen also wasn't added until later.

To me, it looks like an older Golfer body (liners & tools) and newer scales that include the pen.  I've read of Victorinox using up the last of their old stock before moving on to the new one so it may just be, that this is a "transition" Golfer.

Just my 2cents.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 08:03:37 PM
Wow. That sounds really cool.  :

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 08:40:34 PM

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 03:51:04 AM

I thought the same but the lack of pin, mini screwdriver and hook seemed to muddy this theory.

By "hook", do you mean the multi purpose hook?  If so, it is not likely you will see a multi purpose hook on a SAK that has a groove running along the the corkscrew.

If I am not wrong, the hook is an early 1990's and current phenomenon, while the grooved spiral is an 'i0's and earlier trait.

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 05:01:32 PM
By "hook", do you mean the multi purpose hook?  If so, it is not likely you will see a multi purpose hook on a SAK that has a groove running along the the corkscrew.

If I am not wrong, the hook is an early 1990's and current phenomenon, while the grooved spiral is an 'i0's and earlier trait.

Yes it was the multipurpose hook I was referring too.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 05:06:03 PM
  I have posted this before.  People are probably tired of seeing it.  Useful for finding dates and such for SAKs.  Best wishes.  G

Vic Tool Evolution Ver ix.jpg
* Vic Tool Evolution Ver ix.jpg (Filesize: 138 KB)

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 05:34:23 PM
Not tired at all.  I find it very useful, just wish I could enlarge it and print it on a 24” x 36” sheet. 
May not pass the “acceptable art” test for hanging on the wall in the public areas.  :think:
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 01:01:44 PM
@ Jeff - If you PM me an email address - I can send you the source file for this - It is also due a bit of an update

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 02:38:43 PM
May I have it as well?
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44