Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sportsman 1 year review !!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Sportsman 1 year review !!
on: April 01, 2024, 09:07:27 PM
A year ago I bought the Canada Flag Sportsman. I got it more as a novelty. I liked the Canada flag because, you guessed it, I am Canadian.

I mainly carried a black , alox Cadet. I even did a couple reviews of my Cadet. I loved the cadet so much, or so I thought. But time and time again I found myself going to the Sportsman. The Cadet and Sportsman have the same blade, screw drivers and nail file. The sportsman however, has a few extra tools, while remaining roughly the same size. Not to mention , it has a beautiful Canadian flag on it.

Here are the tools on the Sportsman :

Tweezers / Can opener / Screwdriver 3 mm / Bottle opener / Screwdriver 6 mm / Wire stripper / Reamer, punch and sewing awl / Nail file / Nail cleaner / Toothpick / Key ring / Corkscrew / Blade, large

DIMENSIONS
Height: 15 mm

Length: 84 mm

Width: 26 mm

Weight: 52 g

Before I even realized what happened, I started carrying the sportsman more and more. Now I carry it most days of the week

Its an 84mm SAK so it fits great in that little change pocket in my jeans. I am not at all an outdoorsman so I dont need a saw. I LOVE Victorinox scissors but they make it too thick in my pocket. I do carry a little classic SD on my key ring so if I need scissors they are there.

I constantly use the nail file. This new style, I believe it was a Wagner design ( but could be wrong) is way more aggressive. Its fantastic. It does a much better job at filing my nails. My nails grow super fast so I use it often. I find I use the nail file for all sorts of things. I have filed down an old nail with this new mighty design, used it to scrape something from between cracks in the table, or wall. I have used it to pull nails out of a wall, clean my nails, and to scrape away sticky stuff many times. I use the nail file more than any other tool.

The Blade I mostly use to open mail, packages, or to cut string. It a perfect size for the things I do.

I have never been big on corkscrews but then those new little screwdrivers came out that you can put in the cork screw and they are great. On my sportsman I added a little poker into the corkscrew that is great for resetting little electronic devices  or for popping out micro SD cards. Some times you just need a tiny poker for tiny jobs. I have even found uses for the corkscrew .

I then added a red toothpick and red tipped tweezers , and a red lanyard . Now it looks SWEET.

To my surprise I use the toothpick a lot. I have one in my  little SD that is on my key ring BUT I dont always have my keys on me. The cadet didnt have a toothpick so I didnt realize how much I would use it till I got the Sportsman.

I have used the reamer to scrape at things or to punch holes into leather. I use the screwdrivers all the time. I love the flat head to pry things open.

I really like the 2 layer SAKs. they are perfect for me in the office.

SO after a year, the Sportsman has slowly won my heart.

I carry it almost every day. I only swap it out to give other SAKs a day or two pocket time.  I was an alox guy for a long time but it does feel good to once again have the classic red cellidor scales in my pocket. Its even nicer with my Canada flag on it.

here are a few picks of my new best friend . Enjoy!

* sm2.jpg (Filesize: 82.78 KB)

* sm1.jpg (Filesize: 74.97 KB)

* sm3.jpg (Filesize: 70.45 KB)
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Sportsman 1 year review !!
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 09:12:50 PM
  Nice pix.  You could be having a lot of fun if you had joined in the Sportsman challenge.  It has just started, by the way.  Hint.  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 09:42:00 PM
  Nice pix.  You could be having a lot of fun if you had joined in the Sportsman challenge.  It has just started, by the way.  Hint.  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

I did see there was a Sportsman challenge, but these days I have less and less time to pop on here so I didnt want to make a commitment I cant keep . It sounds like fun though
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Online LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 10:07:22 PM
I did see there was a Sportsman challenge, but these days I have less and less time to pop on here so I didnt want to make a commitment I cant keep . It sounds like fun though

After reading your review of the  SPORTSMAN and your modifications AND your EXPERIENCE, I CANNOT understand why you would short change your fellow MTo fellows of your knowledge.

You sold me, I am going to look for one, as I find the size is an enjoyable carry, and totally unaware that Sportsman’s features are so hardy.

Not WANTING to share your experience and your beautiful CANADIAN FLAG scales just does not seem MTo like. 🥲

If not able to share one day share twice the next!   If we wait for the RIGHT time, we will miss so much.

Come on we know you want to share a nd brag up your SPORTSMAN!!!🤨.

It is the MTo WAY!👍.  :assimilate: :assimilate:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 10:17:35 PM
After reading your review of the  SPORTSMAN and your modifications AND your EXPERIENCE, I CANNOT understand why you would short change your fellow MTo fellows of your knowledge.

You sold me, I am going to look for one, as I find the size is an enjoyable carry, and totally unaware that Sportsman’s features are so hardy.

Not WANTING to share your experience and your beautiful CANADIAN FLAG scales just does not seem MTo like. 🥲

If not able to share one day share twice the next!   If we wait for the RIGHT time, we will miss so much.

Come on we know you want to share a nd brag up your SPORTSMAN!!!🤨.

It is the MTo WAY!👍.  :assimilate: :assimilate:

Im glad I inspired you. I will consider the challenge and will decide in the next few hours   ;)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 10:20:39 PM
Doesn't take much time.  Short post and a photo every day.  Lots of fun.  Pick the time of day that is convenient for you.  Get a merit badge at the end.  Best wishes.  G
 :popcorn:

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 10:25:37 PM
Doesn't take much time.  Short post and a photo every day.  Lots of fun.  Pick the time of day that is convenient for you.  Get a merit badge at the end.  Best wishes.  G
 :popcorn:

Plus make lasting online friends.

Im glad I inspired you. I will consider the challenge and will decide in the next few hours   ;)

You did!   Why put off it off. Your first post could be this first input, copy/paste. Label it DAY 1

Hope yours is as good!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 10:34:28 PM
Plus make lasting online friends.

You did!   Why put off it off. Your first post could be this first input, copy/paste. Label it DAY 1

my other issue is, I have no access to internet on the weekend.. long story,... so there is that as well

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 10:39:37 PM
my other issue is, I have no access to internet on the weekend.. long story,... so there is that as well

Post twice on FRIDAY. Twice on Monday.
Or take picture on Sat and Sun the three posts on Monday.

There is always a way, never met a Canadian who could not make a problem nonexistent!

Hope yours is as good!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 10:50:05 PM

There is always a way, never met a Canadian who could not make a problem nonexistent!

:D

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 10:53:58 PM

OK OK, Im IN! I just posted my day 1 photo

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 10:54:28 PM
If like me you don't care about badges, you can just contribute as much or as little as you feel like.  It's fun, you develop some conversations and sometimes learn new tool uses,

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 10:56:01 PM
If like me you don't care about badges, you can just contribute as much or as little as you feel like.  It's fun, you develop some conversations and sometimes learn new tool uses,

great point. I dont care about badges but I will definitely post many pics in the challenge 

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 11:19:55 PM
 :hatsoff: :cheers:👍

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 11:45:28 PM
Glad you joined in the Challenge. 
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 06:41:33 PM
Glad you joined in the Challenge.

:like:

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 05:11:58 PM
Thanks for the review Canuckdad, I really enjoyed it and great pics  :tu:
Gabba gabba hey!!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 06:28:43 PM
Thanks for the review Canuckdad, I really enjoyed it and great pics  :tu:

;) :tu:

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 06:29:55 PM
a fun pic

* s2.jpg (Filesize: 75.53 KB)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 06:47:57 PM by Canuckdad »

li Offline MasterofDisaster

Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 12:09:23 PM
That is a nice looking SAK with that flag and the red pick and tweezers  :like:

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #20 on: April 05, 2024, 06:48:26 PM
That is a nice looking SAK with that flag and the red pick and tweezers  :like:

Thanks!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%