Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Questions about an Old Cross Electrician

us Offline Tuisto

Questions about an Old Cross Electrician
on: May 10, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
There seem to be some issues with this OC electrician... The main blade doesn't have a stamp on the back, the electrician's blade looks brand new, the cap lifter has lines running down it that I've simply never seen on a VIC, and the liner isn't copper as it's supposed to be on these OC Electricians. Can anyone who's a bit more knowledgable than me tell me if this is a custom build?

* OC Electrician 00.jpg (Filesize: 46.86 KB)

* OC Electrician 01.jpg (Filesize: 40.49 KB)

* OC Electrician 04.jpg (Filesize: 46.26 KB)

* OC Electrician 03.jpg (Filesize: 44.49 KB)

us Offline lazar

Re: Questions about an Old Cross Electrician
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 10:01:09 PM
Can't speak about the tools, but the rivets look really good if it's custom built.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 11:35:49 PM
It’s fine, and original.

The main blade shouldn’t have a stamp on the back unless it’s an older Elinox (or very rare Fischer) in which case the victorinox marking would be on the back. Or you will sometimes see a dated blade, assumed to be leftover from soldier production, but that’s less common than just blank as well.

The cap lifter is the slightly older, unpolished kind. But new enough it appears to no longer have the sharpened inner edge.  (See attached pic of a similar unpolished cap lifter on my 85 pioneer).

The electricians blade looks fine, and looks period correct. The older one often had the tang grind transition go out to the nail nick like yours. Newer ones are typically ground down closer to the pivot. (See attached pic for what I mean).

The brass liner was phased out starting in 85, though they still show up for a few years after. So yours was probably made between 85 and 99. They switched to the new cross after that.

* IMG_8001.jpg (Filesize: 43.85 KB)

* IMG_8002.jpg (Filesize: 82.83 KB)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 02:34:15 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 11:40:35 PM
It’s fine, and original.

The main blade shouldn’t have a stamp on the back unless it’s an older Elinox (or very rare Fischer) in which case the victorinox marking would be on the back. Or if you can also see a dated blade, assumed to be leftover from soldier production, but that’s less common than just blank as well.

The cap lifter is the slightly older, unpolished kind. But new enough it appears to no longer have the sharpened inner edge.

The electricians blade looks fine, and looks period correct. The older one often had the tang grind transition go out to the nail nick like yours. Newer ones are typically ground down closer to the pivot. (See attached pic for what I mean).

The brass liner was phased out starting in 85, though they still show up for a few years after. So yours was probably made between 85 and 99. They switched to the new cross after that.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Do you know why the cap lifter isn't polished? Is it a different Rockwell hardness than the non-blade tools?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 11:54:13 PM
Originally all the tools were unpolished on the 93mm line.  They gradually phased that out over time. It seems the cap lifter retained its unpolished finish longer than other tools did. On my 85 pioneer, the can opener is polished but the cap lifter isn’t.

Hardness is a bit screwy. The tools have always been softer than the blades by a few points. And, iirc, there was varying hardness depending upon the tool. I.e., a blade was the hardest, a cap lifter was a bit softer, and a wood saw was softer still.

In the early 00’s, possibly at the same time they transitioned to the new cross shield, the hardness on at least the blades was bumped up by ~2 points. I’m not sure if the same is true for the tools. I need to dig and do some reading to remember.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 02:31:08 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 12:59:38 AM
Fantastic info GTMB - I think you need to take over as chief Wiki editor!!!   :pok:     :climber:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 02:32:30 AM
Fantastic info GTMB - I think you need to take over as chief Wiki editor!!!   :pok:     :climber:

Ha, thanks!  :cheers: But those would be some pretty big shoes to fill. I know a little about alox models, but just a drop in the bucket compared to many on the forum.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 02:53:47 AM
GTMB gave lots of good info. All I can add is that it looks really good to me (better than my OC Electrician)!
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 03:56:55 AM
 :iagree:

I completely forgot to say that! That electrician is a beauty!  :like:

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 04:38:36 AM
Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate the info. Now if I could only figure out how to get the awl to stop scraping against the main blade. The tools are a bit stiff too. I washed it in soapy water and opened and closed each of the tools a bunch of times and then oiled it with mineral oil but the sheepsfoot is still a bit sticky. I've had some luck filing the metal around the edges of the bolster area on other Electricians but I'm not sure that will do the trick here. It seems to have been dropped a few thousand times; I'll take a few photos of it for you guys to see.

* OC Electrician 05.jpg (Filesize: 24.16 KB)

* OC Electrician 06.jpg (Filesize: 24.78 KB)

* OC Electrician 07.jpg (Filesize: 25.29 KB)

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 08:55:10 PM
You could try opening the tool 90° to the rest of the SAK then try flexing it slightly back and forth by hand to see if that helps to loosen it up. I've done that on a few SAKs and it does help. It doesn't always fix it entirely but it usually helps.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: Today at 01:48:49 AM
   It looks like someone used the ends like a hammer to tap or flatten things.  Probably bent the liners in a little.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD