Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kobalt review

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Kobalt review
on: June 08, 2007, 01:19:40 AM
After hearing you guys talking about them. I picked up one of the $10 Kobalt tools today.  I wasn't really expecting much.  But I'm surprised that it's not that bad of quality.  I like the spring action pliers and how there built into the pliers not just using a spring at the base of the pliers. I also like the rubber inserts on the handles. It's pretty heavy and thick though.
Picture 1611 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1611 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 26.81 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Kobalt review
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:42 AM
How are the blades and drivers and such on the Kobalt?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Kobalt review
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 05:41:08 AM
The straight blade was pretty sharp out of the package and the serrated blade as two different rates of serrations on it. 
Picture 1614 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1614 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 23.89 KB)
Picture 1618 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1618 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 22.75 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Kobalt review
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 05:49:56 AM
The drivers aren't that bad either. The phillips fits screws good. I know most made in china multiools phillips drivers are crap. But this ones not bad. I used the saw today and didn't have any problems cutting 2 inch branches with it.  The can Vic style can opener is good and sharp.  and the file works good also. Don't get me wrong the quality is good but not even near Vic territory. But I would recommend this tool for $10. It is what it is.
Picture 1626 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1626 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 23.61 KB)
Picture 1633 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1633 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 19.46 KB)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:52:15 AM by prime77 »
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Kobalt review
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 04:58:29 AM
Those are pretty neat- I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one of them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Kobalt review
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 07:54:01 AM
I was looking at the box that the Kobalt tool came in the other day.  And it has a lifetime warranty that says if you  have a problem with the tool in any way just return it to the Lowes that you purchased it from for a replacement.  I wonder how well Lowes honors this?
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Kobalt review
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 01:23:48 PM
I was looking at the box that the Kobalt tool came in the other day.  And it has a lifetime warranty that says if you  have a problem with the tool in any way just return it to the Lowes that you purchased it from for a replacement.  I wonder how well Lowes honors this?

I hope you never have to find out!

The drivers aren't that bad either. The phillips fits screws good. I know most made in china multiools phillips drivers are crap.

I was re-reading your post again this morning, and got to thinking about this phillips screwdriver comment. You are absolutely right! If you want to quickly judge the quality of a multitool, it seems that all you have to do is look at the phillips screwdriver!! Those from the USA or Switzerland are crisp and well-defined, and usually fit into a screw securely. Almost every one from Asia is overly rounded, or badly formed, or just plain crap. I have one Chinese tool that only has three v-notches in the phillips driver, instead of four! What a P.O.S.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Kobalt review
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 02:27:11 PM
I have one Chinese tool that only has three v-notches in the phillips driver, instead of four! What a P.O.S.

There is a security bit that is a 3 prong phillips, I got 4 different sizes with that ratchet driver. Never seen that type before so do not know the name.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Kobalt review
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:22:16 AM
There is a security bit that is a 3 prong phillips, I got 4 different sizes with that ratchet driver. Never seen that type before so do not know the name.

Dave

Yep, I know the one you are referring to. According to the Lara site HERE it is called a Tri-Wing bit. I've never ever seen a screw with that type of head though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%