Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Working day for a classic.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Working day for a classic.
on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:42 PM
So I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I bought in 2001. As a lot of older cars with 124,000 miles, sometimes you just have to take an afternoon and do some maintenance. The tag lights had 1 burned out bulb, the third stop light in the top of the Leer fiberglass cap needed a bulb, the battery had some corrosion, and the air cleaner needed replacing.

I initially walked out to the truck with just the spray can of battery terminal cleaner, and intended to go back in the house to get the tools when I was done with the battery. After spraying, and rinsing with water, there was still some blue stuff down in the clamp, so I used the SD tip of the nail file to scrape it out. Yes, I wiped off the blade clean when done. Then I looked at the bulb situation and saw that I only needed a phillips screw driver. OUt came the classic SD nail file again, and in 15 minutes I had replaced the third stoplight bulb by taking apart the light fixture, using just the SD tip. Same thing for the license plate lights in the steel step bumper. The SD tip took off the light housing from the bumper just fine, and screwed it back on with a new bulb in place.

The air cleaner clips were undone with the nail file blade, used as a light pry tool.

Of course, the plastic blister packages the bulbs came from Auto Zone in were cut open with the knife blade of the classic.

I've used the little classic for repair jobs before, and I'm always amazed at just what can be done with such a tiny tool on a keyring. I'll go look over a job, and seeing most things are held together with small phillips screws, I end up using the SD tip on the classic.

Tiny, but able.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Working day for a classic.
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:32 PM
The Classic is, in my opinion, the best return on functionality-for-weight of any MT. Sometimes, in fact quite often, it's all you need.

As Shakespeare said: 'Though she be but little, she is fierce!'

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 04:02:48 PM
The Classic is, in my opinion, the best return on functionality-for-weight of any MT. Sometimes, in fact quite often, it's all you need.

100% agreed.  I use the Classic mostly for trimming fingernails and small cutting jobs, but last year I used it to install a new remote control unit for a garage door opener. 

I can get the Classic for $10 around here, so I'll pick one up periodically, just to have a few of them as backups.  (You never know when the price will jump up).

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:17:06 PM
I just bought one after almost 25 years of not giving them a second look. I have to say that for 90% of my daily cutting chores the Classic seems to be just fine. Its so small though I keep losing it in my pocket! :facepalm:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:35 PM

100% agreed.  I use the Classic mostly for trimming fingernails and small cutting jobs, but last year I used it to install a new remote control unit for a garage door opener. 

I can get the Classic for $10 around here, so I'll pick one up periodically, just to have a few of them as backups.  (You never know when the price will jump up).

What else can you get in the cutlery world for the price of a 12 pack of decent beer, that will do what this little gem does? Yeah, I've stashed a few extra too. Plus they make good give aways to non knife people who need a knife but don't know it yet. The little classic fits on most key rings, so you really can't leave the house without it. Just use a quick release hook so you can detach it to use easy.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%