Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool.org Members are NOT commodities

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Multitool.org Members are NOT commodities
on: March 22, 2013, 04:48:54 PM
In the last little while we've had a number of folks try to promote their stuff here without giving anything back to the community, and frankly I don't feel that is very fair.  There was a bit of upset in the General Forum recently with a member being told why he couldn't spam the forum, and he has since left, told off a moderator (not me, one of the nice ones!) and been banned.  I don't want to single him out, but I would like to point out why certain people are no longer active here after having been prominent for some time.

The simple fact is, they are looking at Multitool.org members as walking wallets, and I don't believe people should be treated that way- especially not in this community that we have all built.

If someone wants help here, then I think they should offer something back.  Felinevet, Metroplocity and Syph007, along with several others are excellent examples of this.  They all do things to benefit the forum and the people that are a part of it, and are a part of it themselves.

Others however want you, the membership to design a new tool for them to mass produce and make a significant amount of money, and didn't offer anything back to the people who did the work for them.  Others have a design and want you to send them your money so they can either make money (and offer nothing back) or fail miserably and not offer anything back.

I'm not mentioning any names, I'm not trying to point fingers and I'm certainly not trying to start anything with anyone.  The fact is, we usually try to downplay any such activity so as not to interrupt the forum itself, which as we all know is a happy place.  :D

My point for this thread was to explain to the membership why the mods do things they do.  It's not so that Def can line his pockets and/or have a captive audience, it isn't to make myself seem awesome, it's just that I personally believe that it's unfair to take from well meaning folks and give nothing back.

To the folks that I've had this discussion with, please answer the following question- where do you get off taking advantage of the members of the site that I (and many others) built and paid for, and think that you don't owe anything back to the people?

There you go folks, I'm not as big an ass as I seem, or the evidence would suggest.  I'm not saying I'm not an ass, just not as bad.... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Multitool.org Members are NOT commodities
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:27:18 PM
 :tu:

Totally agree.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:42:08 PM
that's why i like it here.

:salute:
:like:    :MTO:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 05:43:03 PM
I agree.

I like the fact that people are allowed to link to articles/shops etc. they find interesting without being forced to only link to forum sponsors, though when this is done (regularly) for personal benefit they should definitely be made to pay back, in some way.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:52:25 PM
Well said Grant :tu:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 06:39:12 PM
it's why we're unique. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:03:46 PM
I found this forum very inviting, and educational. Things have been handled in a very reasonable manner. I happen to understand that web and forum hosting isn't free. I think a lot of folks wandering the web don't GET that.

Being pretty darn poor at the moment, I haven't contributed as much financially as I'd like to keep operation up, but even so, I've managed a few bucks here and there. With the lack of funding, I've tried to at least offer useful content. I try to be a person who GIVES to the community here, instead of just TAKING.

That leeching on a community bugs me.

Please send your donations via paypal to 'Lynn wants your money dot com', or a puppy dies. Support my Kickmoocher campaign for glasses with a knife blade strapped on them, and always remember, I have cans of spam for sale at LOW LOW discount prices. :D

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:22:05 PM
Phew. I feared reading this thread because I am a both a contributor and a producer of related products.

I do my best to provide tool knowledge as well as donate to the general monthly fund whenever I can.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 07:57:28 PM
I have cans of spam for sale at LOW LOW discount prices. :D

I love spam (and your reviews) sign me up!

Def: I've been a member of a few forums, and whilst I'm very much a newbie round these parts it's a nice place to be. Being able to post links is good, the lack of shameless selfish advertising posts is good and keeping the site ads round the edges where they can be seen but don't get in the way is great. I've completely left one forum I was a member of for years because some new owners started putting Skimlinks ads round the place. They really are the work of the devil  :ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:06:33 PM
That leeching on a community bugs me.

You and me both...

Def: I've been a member of a few forums, and whilst I'm very much a newbie round these parts it's a nice place to be. Being able to post links is good, the lack of shameless selfish advertising posts is good and keeping the site ads round the edges where they can be seen but don't get in the way is great. I've completely left one forum I was a member of for years because some new owners started putting Skimlinks ads round the place. They really are the work of the devil  :ahhh

I've seen a few forums ruined by sponsors.  I could buy a product on eBay or from an online dealer but I was expected to pay more at another dealer because they supported the forum.  I often buy from site sponsors and occasionally pay more because of what they do, but I don't want to be told who to deal with.

I've also seen forums that are ruined by advertising.  We could make a lot more money by putting ads all over the place, but I hate that as much as anyone else.  I don't want that either.

This is a community more than a single effort, but my name is the one on the door and ultimately I'm the one responsible for this place.  If I can't be proud of it, if I can't participate in the forum, what the heck good is it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:35 PM
I think we mostly share this sentiment, unless we happen to be the ones doing the spamming with paying up :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 12:07:56 AM
  Yeah, was sort of taken aback by one that was trying to get nothing more than funds for their project. Left a bad taste worse than facebook. Was feeling them out and then the obvious stuck out there.

On another note, shouldn't those that sell products here in the forum give like 10% back to the forum too? I sort of remember AHB mentioning that some years ago. Tithes for the sales?  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:49 AM
That is actually in place already, although it isn't enforced- more of an honor system thing.  It is completely voluntary as I'm not interested in shaking down members for spare cash.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 12:20:04 AM
That is actually in place already, although it isn't enforced- more of an honor system thing.  It is completely voluntary as I'm not interested in shaking down members for spare cash.

Def

:rofl:  No worries, boss man.   :tu:
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 12:28:36 AM
Well said  :salute: and I agree "give something back dammit!" (thinks Mr. Whippy should make us all some bread now!)

I think it's the nature of forums and people and the rules whether stated or unstated need to be repeated and explained sometimes.

I came back just in time for the fun! :P

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 01:03:56 AM
I've only been a member on here a few months, in that short time i've been helped out several times with no financial gain to the member who has helped me! in return i've done my best to do the same for others! and will continue to do so. Members on here aren't just faceless people typing away on a keyboard somewhere!! they ARE surrogate brothers and sisters!!! Family/Friends!!! and people who join with no comprehension of that factor and just want to join to sell items/ideas, or even worse! blatantly just try to take hard earned money from people with no guilt!! in my opinion have no place on here! all the moderators give their free time for no gain to make sure we stay happy and enjoy ourselves!! and personally i think they all deserve a huge pat on the back for keeping the forum pure!! :tu:

In the words of the three muskateers!! ONE FOR ALL!! ALL FOR ONE!!!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 02:35:00 AM
Grant, this place wouldn't be what it is without you, and everyone else.  Thanks very much for making MT.O the great place that it is.   :salute:

While I haven't made any significant material contribution, I try to be helpful and informative when I can, with topics that I'm particularly knowledgeable about.  Many others have done that for me, so I try to do the same in return.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 02:47:18 AM
This is the best forum on the net due to the quality (not quantity) of the members here. As such there's no place for freeloding scroats who just want to use this place as a stepping stone for their own ends. Whilst not everyone can help support this place financially every month, many many others enrich this place with their posts, opinions, humour and friendship. There's bigger and more lucrative social frameworks on the net, but at the cost of honesty, integrity, and warmth, and I've not found a better one or anywhere I'd rather hang out

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 03:01:37 AM
This is the best forum on the net due to the quality (not quantity) of the members here. As such there's no place for freeloding scroats who just want to use this place as a stepping stone for their own ends. Whilst not everyone can help support this place financially every month, many many others enrich this place with their posts, opinions, humour and friendship. There's bigger and more lucrative social frameworks on the net, but at the cost of honesty, integrity, and warmth, and I've not found a better one or anywhere I'd rather hang out

+1 I agree
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 03:49:03 AM
I agree with what everyone's said so far.  This is such a great place to hang out on, more like a giant, slightly dysfunctional family than a bunch of strangers on the interwebs.  :)  A number of members here have become close personal friends to me, much more than faceless, casual acquaintances on a website.  I've gotten all sorts of good stuff from here, from new toys to information on topics that would seem completely out of place here, conversations of the sort that I've seen deleted from other places for not being on topic.  I'm rather poor at the moment but do try to give back to the forum in other ways, however I can.  Seeing people post strictly to push their crap really ticks me off.  >:(  Of course, the way that we treat spam threads here, some of these guys could very well end up really regretting posting.....  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 05:18:43 AM
I couldn't agree anymore, this forum is more then what just the name represents! I belong to quite I few other forums, yet I've kinda lost interest them, but here I can't get enough of, I've grown fond to quite a few of you, heck even my wife has! Like you said its more like an online family. Some of us can't afford some of the things that others have, I'll admit I'm one of them, I'd give you the shirt off my back so long as I had it to give, and sometimes, well most of the time i ain't got that! Yet I try to give in ways that don't cost anything, like the knowledge or bad experiences that I've had and don't want you to go threw! but to take advantage like that is just freaking wrong! Other forums require you to buy a selling ticket, like $20 a month, again some can't afford it, unless you make a decent amount off of what your selling, but what if your gong to only sell one thing? Ok here's a xxxx for $20, so now you got to buy the selling ticket for $20 in order to get $20. Absolutely pointless! Yet like someone else stated what about a % of a sale? Or a ladder sale, $1 for any sale 1-10, $2 for 10-25, $3 for 25-50, $5 for 50-100, well you get the idea. Ok I'm tired and after going threw all those number my eyes are going cross-eyed, this forum is the way it is because of the great people in it! Lets not allow others to ruin it for us! Goodnight, JR 
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 06:34:39 AM
Well said and I couldn't agree more.  I've only been here a few months myself and I really enjoy my time here.  Members have been very helpful and I've tried to be helpful whenever I can.  This place is a great community with a considerable variety of members from all over the world.  The forum is a very educational place and I've learned a considerable amount, especially about various MTs/SAKs to add to my wish list :D(my wallet and wife thank you all ;))  I find I have to get on here every day, and do not like to miss a day if I can help it ;)  This is all thanks to the hard work and welcoming nature of all who keep this place running!  I appreciate that :salute: :tu: 

K-Tibbs

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 09:13:48 AM
+1 on everything, this place feels like family.  :multi:

But what I do not understand is the lack of funds (or the need for ads).

How much does it cost every month to keep this forum running? $300??

Surely that ammount is easy enough to come up with each month? How many members strong are we?

Pardon my ingorance, just wondering.. :think:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:15:26 AM by Wootz »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:09 PM
Our servers are a bit pricey but we are also being given a hell of a deal on them.  In fact, we are currently using more resources than we are paying for as Whoey's friend at the company has allocated some of their spare resources to help us out.

Even so, its significantly more than what we were paying with our last server company, which is why we didn't go with them in the first place.

Of course the server isn't the only expense running a site like this.  That just allows us to have a place to put it.

Def

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:48 PM
I was quite surprised when I saw someone's first post the other day on the for sale section. No hello, no kiss on the cheek, just straight to the business.

Some of the forums I have been on in the past require a minimum post count to use the selling section. It helps avoid  being treated like a free  classified ad site.

I know I was nearly as bad with my first post being a question, but at least I was just after info not cash.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 11:15:31 PM
I was quite surprised when I saw someone's first post the other day on the for sale section. No hello, no kiss on the cheek, just straight to the business.

Some of the forums I have been on in the past require a minimum post count to use the selling section. It helps avoid  being treated like a free  classified ad site.

I know I was nearly as bad with my first post being a question, but at least I was just after info not cash.

If i remember correctly your first post was about modding a wenger. Those are always welcome. ;) Before you came Wenger mods were very rare and far between.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 11:53:54 PM

When I see a post like that I try to help the new member out by suggesting he/her gives and intro to himself/herself and tells us a bit about their collection etc.  :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 05:37:28 PM
Yes, I tend to point them in the direction of the new members forum to post an intro :)

Either they do or don't get the point of that, and MTO members will choose whether to deal with them or not. Personally I would never buy or sell anything to someone who had just turned up with something like that as a first post.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 06:06:57 PM
Yes, I tend to point them in the direction of the new members forum to post an intro :)

Either they do or don't get the point of that, and MTO members will choose whether to deal with them or not. Personally I would never buy or sell anything to someone who had just turned up with something like that as a first post.

I did the same with a new member the other day!! his first post was to try to sell a M/T, i sent him a pm so it wasn't public and just suggested he introduced himself and contributed a few posts before trying to sell items on here!! Don't think he's been on since.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 10:03:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with asking questions.  Information is what a forum is all about.

I have no problems with a first post in the Trade Forums either.  Some guys just lurk and post when they want to sell something or buy something- again, no problem.

The problem is when someone decides to use this forum and it's members to benefit their own business without giving anything back either to the forum itself or it's members.  It's like going into Home Depot and stealing tools to sell on Craigslist. 

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%