Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool.org Members are NOT commodities

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Multitool.org Members are NOT commodities
Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 12:58:12 AM
I always think of it as being like setting up a stall at a market fair and not expecting to have to pay for the pitch.  A little buying and swapping amongst the folks wandering around the market is one thing, but trying to run a business is quite another.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:13 AM
I always think of it as being like setting up a stall at a market fair and not expecting to have to pay for the pitch.  A little buying and swapping amongst the folks wandering around the market is one thing, but trying to run a business is quite another.
Well put, it's one thing to go to the mall to meet someone to buy sell or trade a couple things, but to set up a shopping booth or store front in the mall with out paying rent is just plain wrong. And like I said earlier, the price of how much you should give back for rent, should be based off of how much store front you use! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 04:27:58 PM
Newbies need to read this, it's an excellent example of one of the many reasons this place is a step up above the rest.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 05:03:37 PM
I'd almost forgotten about this thread!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: December 16, 2015, 02:29:09 PM
Just a little bump back to the top in case anyone needs a bit of a reminder that members here are not here for the benefits of shameless self promotion.....

:whistle:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 02:56:12 PM
Just a little bump back to the top in case anyone needs a bit of a reminder that members here are not here for the benefits of shameless self promotion.....

Def

Maybe it should get 'stickied'?  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 03:02:29 PM
Stapled to the forehead of transgressors sound better  >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 03:04:29 PM
I could hot stamp it on people's foreheads, that doesn't mean they are going to read it.   :ahhh

Stapled to the forehead of transgressors sound better  >:D

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this way!

Others simply won't care so long as they get what they want.

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 11:05:19 PM

Def

Maybe it should get 'stickied'?  :salute:

Done.   :tu:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #39 on: December 17, 2015, 12:57:31 AM
Sorry Z I've been waiting so long to use this  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65ZzffW-Cw
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: December 17, 2015, 02:12:33 AM
 :P

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #41 on: December 17, 2015, 04:44:00 AM
hmm,  I say this is required reading and testable before allowing true membership.   :rofl:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #42 on: July 21, 2016, 05:30:08 PM
I wish this wasn't a sticky so I could bump it to the top  :D

Just wanted to say I agree with everything in this thread, and to thank Grant and everyone who have worked hard to make this a forum worth joining.
I've gained a lot of knowledge asking questions and reading threads both old and new, and tried to give back what I can in the form of answering questions and donating here and there.
I only give money to what I consider to be worthwhile efforts, whether it's for charity or otherwise. I wouldn't give one corroded penny to any other forum I've visited, and I've handed a little more than that to MTo.

This post is swerving quite dangerouslyaway from its own point, so let me just say this- if you're looking to build or expand a business that is relevant to the interests of this forum's members, cough up the smurfing cash and do it properly. This is a good group of people who love to buy new gear and discuss it. It's a reasonable fee to turn such a diverse, global group of enthusiasts on to your product/service, and I guarantee money well spent.

Ok, rant over. Back to the fun, eh?  :drink:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: July 21, 2016, 07:09:31 PM
I wish this wasn't a sticky so I could bump it to the top  :D

Just wanted to say I agree with everything in this thread, and to thank Grant and everyone who have worked hard to make this a forum worth joining.
I've gained a lot of knowledge asking questions and reading threads both old and new, and tried to give back what I can in the form of answering questions and donating here and there.
I only give money to what I consider to be worthwhile efforts, whether it's for charity or otherwise. I wouldn't give one corroded penny to any other forum I've visited, and I've handed a little more than that to MTo.

This post is swerving quite dangerouslyaway from its own point, so let me just say this- if you're looking to build or expand a business that is relevant to the interests of this forum's members, cough up the smurfing cash and do it properly. This is a good group of people who love to buy new gear and discuss it. It's a reasonable fee to turn such a diverse, global group of enthusiasts on to your product/service, and I guarantee money well spent.

Ok, rant over. Back to the fun, eh?  :drink:

Well said! 

I'm glad you feel that way!

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 28, 2016, 04:38:57 PM
Thank you for that Grant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 01:11:58 AM
Well, I'm new here. I really have to say that I appreciate the helpful atmosphere, the knowledge and expertise and the self control that I have witnessed among members.

I'm not selling anything and I have no "connection" to any product or service I discuss.

I have one friend who sells an excellent pre made tinder for fire pistons on EBay.

But if your waiting on Raven to use you guys to make a living, pull up a chair and grab a Jack n Coke, cause you've got a long wait on your schedule.

I will drive you crazy with questions that a lot of you will say "why didnt he just google"

Well I did...and that's why I'm here.

I like learning from people who have BTDT, saves me mistakes. I make em by the truckload...

.I appreciate it when mods and admins lay it out, and let you know what is expected, and then WORK WITH GOOD MEMBERS to guard the community from the less respectable.

Thanks Grant, mods and members for allowing me to be here. I'm not loaded with cash, so my only method of contribution at this point is discussion, but if there's any way I can "pay my dues" faster and help out, let me know....

Raven
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 02:00:41 AM
I hope no one ever says "just Google it" since that really defeats the purpose of a forum.  In my mind at least, a forum survives on discussion, which tends to get very short if folks just answer everything with "Google it!"

You'd be amazed at how many folks stumble on a forum and think "Hey, I should just advertise my product or service here- after all, it's a forum, it's a place for people who are interested in this sort of thing."  I like to equate it to Burger King- they have a nice parking lot, and serve as a good destination for people that want hamburgers, just like MTO does for our members.  The spammers are like people that go to Burger King and set up a BBQ in the parking lot and selling burgers, thinking it's totally okay since that's what people came there for.   It isn't.  Burger King doesn't just set up shop for free, and neither do forums.

As for paying your dues, well, hang out, share some thoughts, ask some questions, give some answers and just enjoy the place in the way it was meant to be enjoyed and we'll call it even.  That's pretty much it- it's simple, but that's the way we like it.  :D

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: September 30, 2016, 03:28:49 AM
I will never say just Google it either ;) Never have had it to happen to me on here and I don't expect it to happen to others either :cheers: Discussion and questions are why most of us made it here to begin with :tu: I was looking for more info on my PST and LM in general and here I am so many years later still learning :D

I have seen people ask questions in other forums and older members bash them for various reason and ask them why they don't know how to use search or not introducing themselves first etc. etc. MTO is like that and I hope it never gets that way :cheers: Even if asked before I will try and answer any question anyone asks here and if I can't try in point them in the direction that they can find an answer :like:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #48 on: October 16, 2018, 03:01:11 PM
I thought google was for finding dirty pictures ........  :pommel:

I cant help a whole bunch but will when I can.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #49 on: September 14, 2021, 09:12:26 AM
G***Best is now gone, outlived by  MTO :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: September 14, 2021, 01:43:21 PM
 :woohoo:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31