Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Fauxton Flashlight

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: The Fauxton Flashlight
Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 07:16:19 PM
I don't mean to thread necro, but I sent Luna Knife a package the other day, and dropped one of these flashlights into the package, as a 'goodie'.

He seemed quite happy with it, and mentioned that he was looking for them as stocking stuffers.

These would be a PERFECT extra little gift, since they're both so inexpensive (currently 10 for $3.70 on Amazon) AND quite small, making them likely to actually be carried.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #32 on: March 05, 2016, 11:10:55 AM
necro thread revival

If anyone is looking for some super handy little fauxtons, I just bought quite a few from fasttech.com

The main issue with these lights from this vendor is flat or nearly flat batteries (cheap batteries tend to go flat even when they aren't used).  I bought "22000 mcd" white LED keychain lights with various coloured bodies.  After testing them (all 300 of them) the results were:

White body 100% OK
Purple body 95% OK
Red body 82% OK
Green body 80% OK

So if you want to buy some fauxtons I currently recommend this one:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1604/10000369/1058600-22000mcd-white-light-led-flashlight-keychains

If you buy more than 29 they are slightly cheaper.  I buy lots because I give them away frequently (with instructions to immediately attach them to your keys).  I get heaps of favourable feedback from people who have found them very handy.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 02:22:29 PM
I really like these little lights. They are about $3.75 for ten on Amazon, and I havent had any issues with batteries from Amazon. They make great little freebies,  and they are amusingly brighter than the 3AAA powered 6LED cheapo lights you can get at wally world for a couple bucks
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 10:45:25 PM
By rights, the Nitecore Tube et al should have made these obsolete, yet I still love them. It was the light of choice for today (although this one mights be an original rather than a copy, I know one of the black ones is anyway) and have had to use it a couple of times so far. I think I have 6 of these in total, and they're fantastic things to have around.

Several years ago, I gave one to a friend. The next time I saw him, he told me he went on a bit of a woodland walk with the wife and dogs while on holiday, and got a little disorientated, then they started to lose light. That little light was the only thing they had to light the way, and they managed to find their way out of the woods with it.
IMG_20190324_211248_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190324_211248_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 59.5 KB)
IMG_20190324_154020_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190324_154020_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 54.64 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #35 on: July 16, 2019, 03:12:00 PM
I think Photon might have started enforcing their patent on these, as many of the big sellers (DX etc) that had them cheap seem to have withdrawn them altogether.

2019 Update:

Fauxtons have been hard to find for many years now, but I recently bought 150 of these handy little lights from a seller who I hadn't come across before:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32845013488.html

Usually when you buy these lights this cheaply ($Au 5.00 for 10) many of the batteries are DOA (they use cheap batteries which are prone to going flat even without being used), but in this case 92% of the (blue body, white LED) lights worked fine.  I've had other suppliers sell me lights with over 50%+ flat batteries, so 92% working is excellent.  I did have to close up the small split ring on quite a few lights as the gap was a bit big.

My current favourite CR2016 battery is the Panasonic brand.  Just check the date of manufacture before agreeing to purchase, and only buy if less than 2 years old - they are supposed to have a 5 year shelf life, but some other brands eg Maxell have not lasted that long, with some (unused) losing all charge at 3 years old.

In case anyone wonder why I bought so many, I like to give these away to: anyone that does something nice in my vicinity, the people who volunteer to help out (unpaid) at the dog agility trials I compete at, as extras on MTs I send to anyone, to people who are camping without any light etc etc, so I go through lots (and I haven't been able to find blue ones at a reasonable price for a couple of years now.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%