Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corkscrew - is it true?!

gb Offline GuyWood

Corkscrew - is it true?!
on: March 25, 2013, 08:14:34 PM
Was googling SAKs at work today and found an article on some random men's site called something like '5 things you should know about Victorinox penknives'.

One of the facts was that Victorinox make every part of every SAK except... The corkscrew :o. Apparently, Victorinox have the corkscrews made for them by a Japanese company. Anyone know if this is true? Here's the aticle:

3- Not all of the Swiss Army Knife is Swiss-made
But most of it is. At the Victorinox headquarters in pastoral Ibach, even the machines that punch long strips of steel (2,500 pounds of it a year) into recognisable tools by grinding, polishing, hardening, and (excepting certain hand-made models) assembling and casing them, are made by Victorinox for Victorinox in their mechanical department. The only part of your Swiss Army Knife that’s not 100% Swiss-made, oddly enough, is the little corkscrew. Turns out, the Swiss are really good at working with steel but not so good at forging. For that, you need some Japanese know-how. A Japanese company forges the corkscrews and ships them to Ibach for assembly.

Feel free to ignore the obvious rubbish about using just over a ton of steel a year :D. Victorinox recycle 599 tons of steel grindings a year according to one of their own videos on YouTube.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:21:35 PM by GuyWood »
- Or was I too preoccupied with other thoughts, like: if toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: Corkscrew - is it true?!
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:24:05 PM
I'm not sure about this. I actually read somewhere that the corkscrews are made in France but not sure about that either.

gb Offline GuyWood

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:24:45 PM
Sounds like an email to Switzerland might be called for...
- Or was I too preoccupied with other thoughts, like: if toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:00 PM
I had read France too.  It was on the interweb, so it must be true. :think:

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:33:45 PM

I can not confirm this 100%, i had a question in one time on a economy or eco knife. I got in reply that the corkscrew was made by 3 different French makers. I have never double checked this.
But now i read others to have mentioned France too and Japan aswell?

It is strange to see on approx 1979-1981 Economy corkscrews and how similar they look today, now on the regular line.

Get more tools

Offline space cowboy

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:03 PM
I heard France as well. Its a useless tool for me though. The one time I used it it snapped. I can live without it.

gb Offline GuyWood

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:40:11 PM
Sorry to hear that  :(. I use mine quite a bit and it seems pretty tough! I've emailed Ibach HQ so I await their answer with interest :).

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:40:51 PM
I had read France too.  It was on the interweb, so it must be true. :think:

Think I read it on the sakwiki about France  :tu:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:03:07 PM
Space Cowboy -

The corkscrew is useless to me also. I drink cheap beer and expensive scotch.
Wine is for the frufru crowd. No offense intented to those of you who do
drink wine. Although as a youngster I did drink Ripple and
Boone's Farm - but didn't need a cordscrew for them :-)

Rich S
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:34 PM
I don't use a corkscrew either, but I keep the eyeglasses driver there. Although I don't wear glasses it can still be helpful when I don't have the superior one on my wave.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:29 PM
  Thankfully the Swiss are resistant to Californians.

California sued Leatherman for their USA logo on their tools, since not all parts were made in the USA. Good to see that the Swiss snub their noses at that over-nosy busy-body state. That's why there are no USA stamps on Leatherman tools anymore, but in all fairness the USA should still be allowed - since it does not state Made in USA. Even 'Oregon, USA' should be allowed. Even 'Oregon Proud' should be good.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:59 PM
I also never use the CS as drink whisky and most the wine we get has screw tops  :D its the reason I like the tinker,but i do prefer the champs inline phillips as easyer to use  :tu:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:19:40 PM by Zed »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:06:27 PM
I'll give you time to adjust to your new reality.

:climber:   Still Awesome!

us Offline Donald

Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:12 PM
Any information on the corkscrew would be of interest. IIRC I read once that (some???) of the corkscrews on the Elinox models were made of inferior steel? One of the reasons I am curious in general about the corkscrew.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 02:04:05 AM
Oh ye unimaginative ones who disparage the venerable corkscrew  :twak: I do not drink wine either but that is probably the least use for the corkscrew anyway. The main one, already mentioned, is to perfectly hold a mini-screwdriver. It is also the perfect solution for tangled fine jewelry chain (my wife is a real believer since I have saved so many of her chains). Come on you closet corkscrew users out there, add to the list.  :cheers:
T

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 02:08:43 AM
I was always under the impression they were made in japan.  I read that long ago, I think on here somewhere.  It was a thread about how various manufactures have parts made elsewhere and what they were.  Leatherman pliers heads from mexico, and Im sure it was swiss corkscrews from japan.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 02:10:17 AM
Turns out, the Swiss are really good at working with steel but not so good at forging. For that, you need some Japanese know-how. A Japanese company forges the corkscrews and ships them to Ibach for assembly.

This part makes me think it's BS, the corkscrew isn't forged.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 02:14:52 AM
I'm a corkscrew user and proud of it. :salute: I only have a few without them (not counting ALOX) and if I carry them, there's always a corkscrew on my keychain. :)

I'd like to hear what Ibach has to say about where it's made though.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 02:21:43 AM
This is what google turned up on corkscrew making.

1 An open worm is formed by forging a steel rod into a helix shape. After sharpening one tip, the rod is heated to soften it for shaping. For example, 440C stainless steel is heated at 1,500°F (650°C) for 30 minutes, then at 2,100lF (1,000°C) for five minutes.
    2 The hot rod is wound around a rotating cylindrical mandrel. To help guide the rod into a uniform spiral with the desired angle and spacing between successive coils, a grooved mandrel may be used.
    3 Immediately after coiling, the spiral is hardened. This is done by reheating the worm to 1,500°F (650°C) and letting it cool slowly. Mild steel, on the other hand, is quenched by plunging the still-hot spiral into room-temperature water.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Corkscrew.html

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 03:19:22 AM
Origin , no biggie , they work for me and many friends !

Chris

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 04:25:14 AM
"In the past the corkscrew was forged.  But since decades we buy the corkscrew from a French supplier as a semi-finished product."  Sachbearbeiterin - Customer Service, Victorinox, quoted by Metaleer over on KnifeForums, 10-07-12
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 08:02:49 AM

Thank you for this  :tu: . Since my info also had "French supplier". It was mentioned 3 different aswell but not sure. This they have done for along time.
Get more tools

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 05:33:16 PM

Good to see that the Swiss snub their noses at that over-nosy busy-body state.

Not all of us native Californians are keen on the Big Brother Bureaucracy there either, seems they are trying to idiot-proof everything to the insult of those of us with a shred of common sense. Which is one of the reasons I left, kind of a shame though, there is a lot of natural beauty there along with the unnatural ugliness.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 06:25:21 PM

Believe it or not i like Leatherman alot, no matter what people say it is a high quality product. Could be better against corrosion. this is just a maintenance problem. Well Leatherman is not for me to discuss here.

The Swiss use steel from other countries, design from other countries and parts. They have used different steels from Germany and France. Probarbly Sweden aswell, since both Wenger and Victorinox older catalogues say this. It must be steel from Sweden since they say drop forged Swedish stainless steel blades. I did some research before but i got to a stop. Could not find it, i had in mind Fagersta , this place suffered after the steel crisis in the 70s, put down around 1980. But Fagersta Sweden is just speculative.

Blades are not forged anymore on the SAK, and it is all about using high quality stainless with the DIN. After the image of the Brand
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:27:26 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 08:07:45 PM

Not all of us native Californians are keen on the Big Brother Bureaucracy there either, seems they are trying to idiot-proof everything to the insult of those of us with a shred of common sense. Which is one of the reasons I left, kind of a shame though, there is a lot of natural beauty there along with the unnatural ugliness.

Am a defected native too.  :D   Lovely here in Idaho, 'cept for jobs & single women.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline twiliter

Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 12:29:58 AM

Not allra of us native Californians are keen on the Big Brother Bureaucracy there either, seems they are trying to idiot-proof everything to the insult of those of us with a shred of common sense. Which is one of the reasons I left, kind of a shame though, there is a lot of natural beauty there along with the unnatural ugliness.

Am a defected native too.  :D   Lovely here in Idaho, 'cept for jobs & single women.

Heh, chased a single woman to the Blue Ridge, and fell in love with the place, still lots of natural beauty and less frantic people.  :cheers:

be Offline jeroen.thys.37

Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 11:00:00 PM

I hope this gives an idea how it's actually made. I made this picture in Ibach at the factory....

Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 11:49:37 PM

Not allra of us native Californians are keen on the Big Brother Bureaucracy there either, seems they are trying to idiot-proof everything to the insult of those of us with a shred of common sense. Which is one of the reasons I left, kind of a shame though, there is a lot of natural beauty there along with the unnatural ugliness.

Heh, chased a single woman to the Blue Ridge, and fell in love with the place, still lots of natural beauty and less frantic people.  :cheers:

Some guys have all the luck!  :D   She got a sister?
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline twiliter

Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 12:12:42 AM

Some guys have all the luck!  :D   She got a sister?

Alas no, only a sister in law, and not to be overly superstitious, but I attribute my luck to carrying one of my lucky SAK's or other very faithfully. ;)

us Offline BradGad

Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46:21 AM
"In the past the corkscrew was forged.  But since decades we buy the corkscrew from a French supplier as a semi-finished product."  Sachbearbeiterin - Customer Service, Victorinox, quoted by Metaleer over on KnifeForums, 10-07-12

Well, well...  learning something new every day. I had read long ago that it  was from a Japanese company, and didn't have any reason to doubt it.

Another proud corkscrew user here...  It's a dandy micro-marlinspike, it holds the cord when I'm making lanyards and such, it holds the micro-screwdriver, it wrassles hard-to-get-to porous material (ceiling tiles, filters, etc.), an-nnd... it opens bottles of wine! My wife and I like to take day hikes to the many waterfalls here in the southern Blue Ridge Mountains, and pack in a picnic avec le vin.

If the can opener blade didn't work as well as it does on Phillips screws, then the corkscrew vs Phillips question would be a real quandry for me, but as it is, the corkscrew is a win-win.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%