Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A real pain in the neck

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: A real pain in the neck
Reply #60 on: March 29, 2013, 02:44:08 AM
Acid reflux is smurfing serious guys  :ahhh :ahhh.

My dad has BAD acid reflux , he did/does not get the burning feeling(which is bad as this is the body saying things are not good). My dad's oesophagus has gotten so damaged/burnt he has lost a significant amount of blood via vomiting(oesophagus bleeds , blood goes into the stomach,spectacular awful bloody vomit proceeds) on 2 different occasions in the last 18months. My dad's untreated acid reflux has caused long term damage so that he is now prone too stomach contents(including food & acid) flowing up his oesophagus & down his trachea into his lungs.Acid & food into lungs is TERRIBLE, my dad is lucky to be alive.

Untreated acid reflux is a HUGE problem guys  :pok: :pok: , the body is simply not designed to cope with acid outside the stomach , acid burns mofos  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:
You would not tolerate coolant getting into your oil system when your car blows a head gasket look after your body at least as half well as your car  :pok: :pok:.
Ok rant over  :D I have to take acid repressing tablets too  ;)

Again I hope you get sorted son Def  :ahhh :ahhh

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #61 on: March 29, 2013, 03:22:07 AM
Well, I continued it until the police arrived and the two guys that jumped me were arrested.

I may have lost a knee but that's better than what they lost in jail....

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Wow, what was up with these fools jumping you?  No, I'm not writing a book, just in case you think I'm being too nosey ;)  Just curious is all.  If I'm prying too much or whatever, just let me know :whistle:
K-Tibbs

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 01:45:37 PM

My dad has BAD acid reflux , he did/does not get the burning feeling(which is bad as this is the body saying things are not good). My dad's oesophagus has gotten so damaged/burnt he has lost a significant amount of blood via vomiting(oesophagus bleeds , blood goes into the stomach,spectacular awful bloody vomit proceeds) on 2 different occasions in the last 18months. My dad's untreated acid reflux has caused long term damage so that he is now prone too stomach contents(including food & acid) flowing up his oesophagus & down his trachea into his lungs.Acid & food into lungs is TERRIBLE, my dad is lucky to be alive.

Untreated acid reflux is a HUGE problem guys  :pok: :pok: , the body is simply not designed to cope with acid outside the stomach , acid burns mofos  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:
You would not tolerate coolant getting into your oil system when your car blows a head gasket look after your body at least as half well as your car  :pok: :pok:.

I'm not in the least suggesting that acid reflux isn't serious.  I'm saying mine is not a huge deal at the moment, and I've gotten better results changing my diet than I did on the pills.  The pills worked when I took them, I just am terrible at remembering to take them, and I'd pay dearly for it.

My problem is this issue with what I believe (armchair physician time!) to be a sub mandibular lymph node being out of place, likely lodged between two muscles.  If it would pop back into place like it normally did then it wouldn't be a problem.  Since it hasn't I'm guessing that it needs to be addressed directly, and I doubt very much that antibiotics are going to do the job.  Rather than try and come up with a way to keep the damage from getting worse (yes, there is a possibility of infection, but I see it as rather small since it's all internal and nothing is ruptured- at least not yet) we should probably just fix it. 

In keeping with Mat's car analogy, I have a bad spark plug and the doctors are giving me flack about tire pressures being a bit low.  Lift the damned hood and fix it. 

Don't mind me, I'm getting a bit frustrated with this.  I have had to install a text to voice program on my tablet so I can communicate with my wife.

Well, I continued it until the police arrived and the two guys that jumped me were arrested.

I may have lost a knee but that's better than what they lost in jail....

Def

Wow, what was up with these fools jumping you?  No, I'm not writing a book, just in case you think I'm being too nosey ;)  Just curious is all.  If I'm prying too much or whatever, just let me know :whistle:

I was working in a pizza joint when I was about 17 or so.  I was in the back making pizzas when the girl at the counter started screaming.  I came out just in time to see a guy bolt out the door and I quickly put two and two together and realized we'd been robbed.  Being the indestructible guy I was (and we all were at that age!) I went after the guy, not thinking to look behind me to see if he had friends watching his back.  That could have been the end of me right there, as the two of them grabbed me from behind just after I got out the door.  They slammed me on the concrete, shattering my knee and gave me a few kicks to finish me off.  I was of course already deep into an adrenalin rush and didn't feel any pain so I got up as they were hitting and kicking me and I laid back into them.  Getting up with a destroyed knee is inadvisable though, and it's possible the knee was salvageable until I did that.  All I remember was that my leg wasn't really moving the way it was supposed to as I grabbed, kicked, head butted and punched until a cop tackled me and others tackled the two guys I was fighting with.  I never did hear what happened to the guy with the money.

Most of that is a blur to me though.  In addition to my knee there was some damage to my femur (cracked I think) and some broken ribs.

The other two guys had some injuries, although nothing too serious.  They did go to jail though, which is why I said I won.  I lost the battle but won the war.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #63 on: March 29, 2013, 09:43:41 PM
Oh I see.  That's a sucky thing to have to go through, but good on you for holding your own after such injuries :salute:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #64 on: March 29, 2013, 10:15:58 PM
Blimey Grant, that does not sound a a fun time :o

So you have bionic bits... hmm.... can we not design some multitool attachments for it? :think:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 10:43:27 PM
Oh I see.  That's a sucky thing to have to go through, but good on you for holding your own after such injuries :salute:

It was a dumb thing to have done, much like the time I got stabbed. I was a stupid kid with some fighting skill and thought I was Batman or Bruce Lee.  I'm lucky I was good enough to survive both times, but I wish I'd been smart enough to have not gotten in those situations in the first place.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49:23 PM
What doesn't kill you....

Leaves you with interesting scars and stories to tell! :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00:47 PM
And arthritis.... Can't forget the arthritis!

Love the new avatar by the way!

Def

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #68 on: March 29, 2013, 11:21:39 PM

It was a dumb thing to have done, much like the time I got stabbed. I was a stupid kid with some fighting skill and thought I was Batman or Bruce Lee.  I'm lucky I was good enough to survive both times, but I wish I'd been smart enough to have not gotten in those situations in the first place.

Def

Well we all do foolish things at that age don't we?  Do you have some martial arts training of some kind?  Man it sounds like you've been lucky and good indeed :salute:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: March 29, 2013, 11:53:46 PM
And arthritis.... Can't forget the arthritis!

Love the new avatar by the way!

Def

Indeed... my fingers are not playing nice this week ::)

Maybe I just smacked one too many people back in my fighting days >:D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:01:28 AM by nuphoria »

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: March 29, 2013, 11:56:44 PM
i was always proficent in the noble art of 'running away', served me very well most of the time

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: March 30, 2013, 12:13:35 AM
I wish I'd had that much sense.

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #72 on: March 31, 2013, 08:32:22 AM
... thought I was Batman or Bruce Lee.

You should have learned the art of fighting without fighting.
The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #73 on: March 31, 2013, 09:58:36 AM

I'm not in the least suggesting that acid reflux isn't serious.  I'm saying mine is not a huge deal at the moment, and I've gotten better results changing my diet than I did on the pills.  The pills worked when I took them, I just am terrible at remembering to take them, and I'd pay dearly for it.

My problem is this issue with what I believe (armchair physician time!) to be a sub mandibular lymph node being out of place, likely lodged between two muscles.  If it would pop back into place like it normally did then it wouldn't be a problem.  Since it hasn't I'm guessing that it needs to be addressed directly, and I doubt very much that antibiotics are going to do the job.  Rather than try and come up with a way to keep the damage from getting worse (yes, there is a possibility of infection, but I see it as rather small since it's all internal and nothing is ruptured- at least not yet) we should probably just fix it. 

In keeping with Mat's car analogy, I have a bad spark plug and the doctors are giving me flack about tire pressures being a bit low.  Lift the damned hood and fix it. 

Don't mind me, I'm getting a bit frustrated with this.  I have had to install a text to voice program on my tablet so I can communicate with my wife.

Yep changing diet , like cutting down on caffeine intake can make a big difference to acid reflux  :tu: :tu:.

Def when do you next see the speSmurfpillst  :think: :think: Have you had the CT scan yet mate  :think:. Is your voice getting worse  :think: :think:.They might want you too take the antibiotics as a pre-operative measure should you need surgery :think:, you could ask for clarification as too why they ordered the antibiotics  :think: 

The speSmurfpillst might scope you Def  :think: , that is put a small camera down your throat & have a look see at your vocal cords etc :think:. Must be a huge pain not being able to talk mate :( :( I bet your sign language is limited to a few expressive terms/gestures  :think:

Again hope you get sorted soon mate,must be wearing mighty thin  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: March 31, 2013, 09:50:57 PM
They ran a scope when I was at the speSmurfpillst's office.  I wish it had gone down my throat, but no, he drove it straight in my nose so deep he was looking at my vocal chords.  I'll be very happy if I never experience that again...  :ahhh

I am waiting for a call from the hospital about the CT scan.  I don't expect to hear from them for a few weeks.  I'll see the speSmurfpillst after the results are in to review the scan and see what the next step is.

My voice isn't really any worse, but then it's not any better either.  I think if there is any improvement it's more likely that I'm getting used to it than it is me getting any better.  The pain is still quite intense, but a bit duller if that makes any sense.  I think I am just getting used to it more than anything else- I must involuntary brace for it now that it's been going on so long.  Sneezing is still almost painful enough to make me throw up though, and as one who sneezes fairly often I can tell you it's not very fun.

Anyways, nothing really new to report.  It's not causing me too many problems.  Pain I can handle, but the inconvenience of not being able to communicate is getting really annoying.  I can whisper or rasp out a conversation if need be, although if you aren't right beside me I usually have to repeat things.  Then I have to tell people it's not contagious as they realize why they didn't hear me the first time and immediately step back in abject fear.   In short, since I can't talk, all conversations I have have to be at least three times longer than they ordinarily would be.  Of course, then folks want to know what's wrong.  I just tell them I injured my neck and if they ask how, I just smile ironically and say I'll tell them over a beer someday.  ::)

I get to go to dinner at the in laws' place tonight.  My mother in law was a nurse but was canned 20+ years ago for incompetence, so naturally she'll want to know all the details and she'll tell me what's involved in fixing it, how many like that she's seen over the years and the number of people she knew who died from it.   ::)  Of course it'll all be made up and have little to do with my actual problem, but I'm not allowed to shatter the old cow's illusions.

Def

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: March 31, 2013, 10:02:40 PM
Tell her it only hurts when you masterbate ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #76 on: April 01, 2013, 01:12:25 AM
*response deleted on grounds of extremely poor taste *

Def

ca Offline wndrstrck

• Leatherman, GEC, SOG, Parker
Reply #77 on: April 01, 2013, 01:17:13 AM
Tell her it only hurts when you masterbate ;)

Guarenteed advice killer right there ;)

Hope you good results, and it fan be fixed with physio and not surgery. Hope you get better soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

"To be prepared is half the victory" Miguel de Cervantes

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: April 01, 2013, 01:33:17 AM
Oh yeah, and I have almost completely given up drinking Coke, Pepsi etc, I don't drink coffee or tea and I only occasionally drink ginger ale.  Mostly I just drink Perrier these days and occasionally Gatorade or orange juice, so little to no caffeine at all these days.

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #79 on: April 01, 2013, 02:51:15 AM
Ahh hell mate  :( :(.

Hopefully the CT does not take that long to happen :ahhh :ahhh. If the pain does get worse I would be tempted to got too the emergency dept & they might get the scan done as a priority  :think: :think:.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:36 PM
I thought about that, but the pain is fleeting, and there are people with real problems in the emergency room, so I'll wait my turn.

Def

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: April 01, 2013, 10:38:00 PM
I thought about that, but the pain is fleeting, and there are people with real problems in the emergency room, so I'll wait my turn.

Def

That's a commendable outlook Boss,but don't take it too far.Thinking like that nearly got me dead!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: April 01, 2013, 10:44:03 PM
The joke would be on the medical folks then. I've got so much insurance I'm worth quite a bit dead...

Def

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #83 on: April 01, 2013, 11:14:22 PM

I thought this was a thread about me, so I didn't read it initially. :ahhh

However, after reading through this, Grant, I suspect you have a little benign nerve sheath tumor (Schwannoma or neurofibroma) or even a traumatic neuroma.  Over the years, it's gotten big enough to get "stuck" on whatever structure it periodically interferes with.   If it sits on the vagus nerve or a nearby branch, it could easily affect the laryngeal (or recurrent laryngeal) nerve.

Next time you're back at the docs, ask him if it could be a little tumor on a nerve.  If he hasn't thought about that possibility, it will get him to rule it out.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: April 02, 2013, 12:12:40 AM
Good call. Certainly worth checking out :tu:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #85 on: April 02, 2013, 12:29:49 AM
everythings worth checking until you find the culprit...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: April 02, 2013, 12:39:23 AM
By the time I see him again he should have the results of the CT scan, so hopefully he'll have a better idea then of what's going on. Until then I have to just relax and enjoy it.  ::)

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: April 06, 2013, 11:12:13 AM
How is the neck feeling boss, any news?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #88 on: April 06, 2013, 11:27:06 AM
How is the neck feeling boss, any news?

If he doesn't respond in the next 30 minutes we are sending a search party :ahhh:

In all seriousness how are you feeling?

Sent from my StoneTablet using Chiseltalk II

Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: April 06, 2013, 12:19:36 PM
Hey,

I had a hellish week at work, although fortunately my voice started working again.  Since the actual problem in my neck has yet to resolve itself I assume that my voice box has just managed to figure out a way to work around the problem though.  I still have the pain and the awkward feeling that something is out of place, so I know it's not fixed.

Everyone around me has decided that since my voice is better then I must be cured and life has gone on, so that's good.

I have yet to hear from the hospital about setting up a CT scan, and without that I assume no actual progress is going to be made.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%