Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which do you like better. New LM Wave or old LM Wave?

Offline colubrid

Old version:
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/retired-tools/wave/

New version:
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/wave-(2004)/default.asp

The reason I ask is I found a used one for $35. but its the old style. Would like opinions on wether I should get the new version or not.

Also, the Wave I am considering purchasing is loose when folded up. Is this something that can be tightened?

Thanks in advance!

Offline colubrid

Re: Which do you like better. New LM Wave or old LM Wave?
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:34:05 PM
I realize the functional differences of the Waves. Basically what I am trying to get at is if anyone has both the new version and the old version but prefers the old version more.

This may be a dead thread. LOL!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:41:01 PM
I can't comment on the new one as I only have the old one, but I would say that if it's in good shape, it's worth $35.  Or at least, I would consider snagging it for $35.
It's not a great tool, but it is in my top five.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 11:19:36 PM
I think LM fans are going to fight over this one for many years, bvut I agree that for $35 you are getting a decent enough deal especally since you were looking for one anyway.It's not so much of a deal if you wernt after one
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 12:15:00 AM
Hard to say cause I like some of the features on the old and new Wave....I have them both............still prefer the old formed brown leather sheath for one thing........the new pliers are better as are the blades.....the old scissors are better.......the new larger blades are lock closed when the tool is open....thats a good thing....not a fan of the mini screwdriver.......there is alot of funny trade offs to be sure

Kap
I

Offline colubrid

Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 12:54:57 AM
Well Kapt. Now I don't know now. Since the Wave I was interested in does not come with a sheath I am a bit dismayed. I like nice sheaths and they seem to be harder to come by these days. I think I may hold out for a new version.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 01:45:40 AM
I like the original Leatherman sheaths.  Man, those were built like tanks!  The sheath on the original Wave is nice, but it just isn't the same.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 09:27:28 AM
I am a big fan of Leathermans and have both tools. Kap is right that there are lots of trade offs between both tools. The scissors are much better on the old wave. But the blades, pliers and locking tools are better on the new wave. It's one of those debates that LM fans will fight about forever. But for $35 dollars you really can't go wrong. Believe it or not I got my old wave on clearence at Kmart brand new for $42.00.
"

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 02:24:40 PM
Kapt Kopter is right, there are trade offs. Part of me like the bit changer and the mini screwdriver but we could live without them, and the sissors definatly lack in comparison to the orginals. I do however like the option for pocket clip carry and the bigger blades. But it's pretty much the same wave, just with some tweaks, some good...some not so good. Wish I had a Charge just so I could justify 1/2 lb in my pocket being at least 154cm in blade steel, 420 just dont always cut it.

David

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 04:20:52 AM
Dude, I would get it.  I have seen the old Wave, and have the new one, and absolutely LOVE it.  Best Multi-tool I've seen for my purposes.  It does everything I need.  The old one was good too, and like Kapt said, it is a strange trade off of tools.  However, sheath or no sheath, I'd get it for $35.  Can't beat that.  It's a great tool, built tough.  As for the looseness?  That shouldn't be a problem.  They get a little loose with use.

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 12:01:54 AM
I like the original Leatherman sheaths.  Man, those were built like tanks!  The sheath on the original Wave is nice, but it just isn't the same.
Def
Def, sounds like you got the second series of original Wave sheaths :o :cry:, the first series came with a dark brown molded sheath and they were awesome! ;D

Kap 8)
I

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 12:27:14 AM
I know up above I was singing the praises of the Wave, but keep this in mind, dude.  The new Wave bites like crazy.  I'm not quite sure about the old Wave, but the new wave, with the slightly bigger knives, stick out more and when using the pliers, your thumb and finger skin gets pinched.  I have since retired my Wave for the Blast, but it's up to you.  Besides, this is an old post, so you probably figured out your situation by now, but just thought I'd give you my two cents.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 12:43:37 AM
Updates never hurt...
Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%