Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade Tough Chip vs. LM Micra?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Schrade Tough Chip vs. LM Micra?
Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 01:51:38 AM
"Tank like feeling"?  I always thought the Micra felt a little flimsy actually.  I haven't had any problems with it though saying that.

We are comparing it against Schrade cutlery right  :think: :D

I was just generally speaking about the Micra.

I would like to say though that although if feels flimsy (IMO) it certainly is strong.

I've noticed the earlier USA Leathermans feel flimsy compared to the newer ones.

:think: Really well that's cool I have the USA version so if I get a new version it really would be strong :o :D

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #31 on: June 18, 2016, 08:33:08 AM
Just wondering having bought the Schrade Tough Chip at Big Lots for 3 usd was pleasantely suprised at how well it works.  I am wondering if anyone else has this tool and a LM Micra as to give me a comparison. If the micra is alot better tool I may be getting one (because I really like the scissor better than I thought I would) but if only marginally better or equal will what on micra purchase.  Thanks for any input you have.

Really? Symantec gave me one as an award and swear the scissors carped out too quickly. Think it was tossed before a year was out cause the scissor blades had a serious gap in them making cutting futile. Think the slide-out nail file was the longest tool to last.  :ahhh
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: June 18, 2016, 01:33:11 PM
Just wondering having bought the Schrade Tough Chip at Big Lots for 3 usd was pleasantely suprised at how well it works.  I am wondering if anyone else has this tool and a LM Micra as to give me a comparison. If the micra is alot better tool I may be getting one (because I really like the scissor better than I thought I would) but if only marginally better or equal will what on micra purchase.  Thanks for any input you have.

Really? Symantec gave me one as an award and swear the scissors carped out too quickly. Think it was tossed before a year was out cause the scissor blades had a serious gap in them making cutting futile. Think the slide-out nail file was the longest tool to last.  :ahhh

You must have got a bad one as I still have mine and it is fine :whistle: :whistle: Cause I haven't probably used it since :D

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 23, 2019, 04:06:08 PM
I just snagged a tough chip today, and it’s been used and abused pretty hard. The tool lock tab is bent, so the tools are loose and none lock. The scissors wouldn’t cut a bubble mailer, and on close inspection they’re damaged pretty badly along the cutting edge. The flat driver is also twisted.

How common is it to see this kind of damage? This one has obviously seen a hard life, but is that tool locking tab a common failure? Or was the PO just a hamfisted destroyer of tools?

Charles.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #34 on: July 24, 2019, 12:59:38 AM
sounds like the previous owner was using this tool way beyond the level of force it was meant for.  If used within its limits it's quite nice.

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 24, 2019, 02:33:54 AM
Well the return was approved immediately and I won an auction on a brand new one still in the package. I liked handling this thing, and I’m excited to get one that isn’t half destroyed.

Charles.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: July 24, 2019, 02:41:59 AM
I couldn't even tell you where mine is right now :ahhh I still have it plus I have several Micras that i have acquired since then :D The Micra is better ;)

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 25, 2019, 06:45:45 PM
So I just got a brand new, made in USA tough chip still in the original blister pack today. Unfortunately it didn’t come with the cute little sheath. I liked that sheath on the one I returned!

So all the tools work and lock nicely. It’s a quality little tool. It cuts paper fine, and even the cardboard box it came in, as well as the blister pack material. No problems. BUT for cutting denim or a harbor freight catalog... problems. There is noticeable flex in the scissors. The pivot doesn’t appear to be tight enough. I can splay the scissors apart from each other with my fingers, or by putting sideways pressure on the handles. Not a lot of force is required for this at all, unfortunately. Upon inspection the pivot is the flex point. I can actually get a fingernail under the edge of the rivet. I may be able to peen it and tighten the scissor action up... but this is a brand new, USA-made tool. I shouldn’t have to. 

So, I’m giving this tool an all around fail. Great idea, great design, poor execution.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 25, 2019, 10:13:48 PM
I peened the pivot and that helped a little, but there is still play in the scissor. They can’t cut a microfiber towel at all, nor can they cut gauze for bandages. The Outu/schrade st-11 have far, far better scissors.

If I drill out the rivet and replace it with a screw pivot that might fix the problem.

The scissors are made of smurf steel. I was attempting to cut a harbor freight catalog, and accidentally cut through the staple. The staple caused a nick on the cutting edge of both scissors.

From a user standpoint... these fail. I want to like them. They’re cute, and the locking tools are neat. The file, tweezers, and toothpick are awesome. But the primary functionality Is scissors. And they don’t cut worth a smurf.

Charles.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #39 on: July 26, 2019, 07:45:33 PM
There was someone selling Schrade Tough Chip belt pouches on E-bay. Don't know if they're still there as I haven't had need to check in quite some time.  Anyway, if you find the guy selling them, order extras, because they fit the Leatherman Mini perfectly as well. Meanwhile, I guess you can try a Micra. There are so many of them in TSA auctions they practically give them away.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%