Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It's the end of the world. Let's go FISHING!

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: It's the end of the world. Let's go FISHING!
Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:36 AM
Copying from Magnesium.com:

Dry magnesium powder, chips, granules, and turnings should be stored in tightly sealed, non-combustible containers such as steel drums that are well separated from other combustible materials. The use of automatic sprinklers in those areas should be prohibited.

Wet magnesium turnings, fines, or sludge should be kept under water in a covered and vented non-combustible container and stored outdoors. When damp magnesium is exposed to air, it will generate heat which accelerates the evaporation and will eventually result in ignition. Containers should never be stacked, and ignition sources should be kept away from the vent.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 01:07:35 AM
Oh, the omnipresent fishing kit, here's another factoid: Let's say you have a survival situation in the subarctic forest, which is a common scenario for those kits, with plenty of lakes and streams brimming with non-radioactive, non-mercury-laden fish. Let's say you're in a state where you can fish. Good idea, right? Nope, the Swedish army did experiments where some recruits fished and some gathered edible plants, and so on. Basically, even in the best case scenario for a kit including hooks "and stuff"... you should go gather edible lichen instead. That's the best time/effort vs calories gathered.

So, pretty much the only type of survival kit the fishing equipment really makes sense is in a life raft?

I've always said the best survival equipment I know of is a good pair of boots and a rain coat... Seems there are quite a lof of us who will wait out the zombie apocalypse in our sleeping bags munching on peanut butter and chocolate. Heh... I can picture it... :D

(Oh, and btw, I'm too lazy to check the exact numbers, but the sparks off a ferro rod are very much hotter than a lighter flame. Something like 3500 ºC for the burning ferrocerium vs 2000 ºC from the burning bhutane. In addition, the heat will be exhanged very much more efficiently from the burning ferrocerium "tinders". To ignite magnesium you have to burn through the magnesium oxide on the surface, which is the reason a very hot flame is easier to use.)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 09:19:17 AM
I couldn't catch fish with my bag of lure and fancy rod and reel, so I certainly hold no hope that I'll ever catch anything at all with a length of thread and a hook lol.

Don't think I'll even get a fishing license this year.

The sparks off the Ferro rods must be every hot because they will light the Mg very readily.  Ferro Rod/Mg is the most failsafe way to start a fire, imo (except for road flares!  >:D)

Have you tried misch metal ferro rod? You can shave them too to work like tinder, and when they burn they REALLY burn. (you can shave regular ferro rod like magnesium block for tinder too, but much more difficult)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:22:05 AM by jzmtl »

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 10:00:07 AM
all true mate  :tu:
fishing IS hard enough WITH all the right 'kit' , but a few hooks are so small and lightweight why not pack them? it's worth a try and might work. or you can try for other quarry (birds/rats etc) it would give you something to do in a 'long term' survival situation.

and back to Ferro rods, yes i've tried all the tricks, some with more success than others but i still think there is more practical ways of fire lighting. Or to put it another way, you CAN start a fire rubbing sticks together (a great skill to learn if you have the time) but why would you want to rely on that method ?

i think the two issues are the same in some ways, neither is going to be as easy in a survival situation as they are on paper. I wouldn't want my life to Depend on either.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:00:24 AM by Taxi Dad »

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 10:48:09 AM
all true mate  :tu:
fishing IS hard enough WITH all the right 'kit' , but a few hooks are so small and lightweight why not pack them? it's worth a try and might work. or you can try for other quarry (birds/rats etc) it would give you something to do in a 'long term' survival situation.

and back to Ferro rods, yes i've tried all the tricks, some with more success than others but i still think there is more practical ways of fire lighting. Or to put it another way, you CAN start a fire rubbing sticks together (a great skill to learn if you have the time) but why would you want torelyon that method ?

i think the two issues are the same in some ways, neither is going to be as easy in a survival situation as they are on paper. I wouldn't want my life to Depend on either.

I've seen Taxi Dad fishing and he's a pro!! here's a pic to prove it!!   :D
imagesgg.jpg
* imagesgg.jpg (Filesize: 12.22 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 12:56:18 PM
That fellow doesn't look all that happy...you sure that isn't you fishing Grumpy?  :rofl:  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 03:25:12 PM
That fellow doesn't look all that happy...you sure that isn't you fishing Grumpy?  :rofl:  :rofl:

:megaslap:   :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 12:28:07 AM
I keep lighters and fero/magnesium, I also keep a fishing kit. It's not what you think though. I keep a soda bottle preform with hooks, swivels, a bobber, and small eye hooks. I don't need line as I always have something better. Paracord! Ten million uses and counting. But for a 72hr kit, It would be, a space blanket, condom for water, purification tabs, and a couple high protein bars 
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 03:20:46 AM
hahaha and I thought there were pictures of fishing in the thread. I was reading the thread and there are good points I didn't really think of until now. In my experience I've only used the fishing kit in my little camping pack twice. Once when I ripped a side of a tent where I straightened the fishhook a bit and used fishing line as thread, the next one was when I used the fishing hook and line tied to a tactical pen and used it as a grappling hook to get mangoes from a tree (too tired to climb)... I guess it's got a lot more uses that what it it was originally designed for. As for ferro rods...they've always worked for me, but the Magnesium bars are a hit or miss...unless you consistently use the DOAN magnesium bars
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #39 on: September 26, 2015, 06:07:45 AM
Why have I not seen this before. It wasn't even buried?

As for me, and a 73 hour kit, I will DEFINITELY have a fishing kit. I live WAY too close to salt and freshwater sources that are plenty bountiful with fish.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #40 on: September 26, 2015, 06:08:18 AM
I didn't mean to put 73 hour, but I kinda like it more anyways.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: September 26, 2015, 08:59:56 AM
Personally, an outdoor 'survival' kit is collection of tools that could serve my survival priorities, and it is not to be confused with a 'bushcraft' or 'wilderness skill/living' kit or my camping stuff. 

In survival mode, all there is for me is to conserve calories until I could get rescued.  Food source is definitely one of my lowest survival priority, and if I ran out of food(from my camping/hiking stuff), and already find ways to serve other priorities(meaning out-of-harms-way, shelter, fire, water, ready to signal...etc)  Then I would consider using the fishing lines/hooks to catch food if applicable(because it doesn't requires as much skill and calories as hunting or trapping).

On that matter, sometimes not eating is a better option than eating minimum of food in survival situation:
http://masterwoodsman.com/2014/edible-wild-plants-survival/

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 03:21:58 PM

On that matter, sometimes not eating is a better option than eating minimum of food in survival situation:
http://masterwoodsman.com/2014/edible-wild-plants-survival/

Now that is fascinating......

This past weekend was a turning point after struggling nearly 2 weeks with a stomach bug.

I had no energy, when I did manage to eat if felt like the food flashed through my body without touching side and leaving me flat.

I've always struggled with my stomach, and I can't help but think getting in the state I was in would be a killer in a survival situation....

I don't believe I've even gone 48 hours without food EVER, and even in this desert country first and most important is water, and most water will contain fish.
Don't really understand the wild plants vs fish argument because (locally) the most effort would be finding some bug to use as bait and from there it's passive fishing.
Since I mentioned bugs, those would be very high on my browse list. :gimme:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 02:58:53 AM
Wow, major necro.

Double wow, I didn't comment on this when it was fresh.

I've had a two headed theory for years about this. First part, it's there because when urban dwellers started going into the woods and wanting a survival kit, there was Brad Angier, Col. Townsend and lots and lots of military surplus manuals that were largely for pilots who flew over water. Since all the military kits had fish hooks, ipso facto, all survival kits should have fish hooks. Without hooks, it isn't a real kit.

The other theory is if people go looking for fish, they find water. And if they are trying to catch fish, they are mostly sticking in one place except when they go for firewood. And if you stay put near a nice big open area, you are easier to find.

That being said, I keep a couple of hooks in most of my kits including my EDC. Ever gone fishing for car keys in a storm drain? Somewhere you have an organizer with space to tape a couple of them down, along with a few sewing needles.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 03:20:28 AM
I love fishing.  And I love to eat the fish I catch if the water is fairly clean.
fly-fishing.jpg
* fly-fishing.jpg (Filesize: 100.28 KB)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #45 on: November 28, 2015, 05:00:12 PM
I guess, that if you find yourself in a situation where you are stuck near water, and your best option is to stay put, throwing a few hooks out with bait and check on them every now and then might be a good idea.  It makes you feel that you are doing something to improve on your situation, boosting morale while waiting.
And you might actually get a fish :D

Also I can think of a few alternate uses for fish hooks:  Like using them to hang up markers for search and rescue (a hooked object hanging over a track or from a three is very eye cathching) or to mark your own camp to make it easier to find for your self.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%