Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kettles ...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Kettles ...
on: April 05, 2013, 01:57:50 AM
I have a cheapo electric kettle my brother gave me when I moved into this house, but I've also started clearing out the boat to sell it and brought home my Le Crueset cookware including the traditional kettle.

One of these ...

Electric kettle: Quicker to boil - element heats water directly. Cheapo white plastic, shortage of sockets means I have to faff around switching plugs at times. Auto off.

Gas Stove Top: Slower, less direct heating and uses more fuel (?) Looks good. Whistle.

I think I might be moving back to a stove top for a while and sticking the eleccy one in the back of the cupboard  :D ... but what's your preference (stove top or electric) and why?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Kettles ...
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:06:54 AM
I prefer wood fired. Easy to come by, here that is. I can control the amount of hear easily, but I drink coffee instead of tea, unless its really good fresh tea from Japan.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:07:13 AM
I don't want to derail this topic before it gets going, but I actually don't even own a kettle. I'm more of a coffee drinker, and when I DO drink tea, I just heat one mug of it in the microwave. I have also been known just to use a pan on the stovetop.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 02:17:57 AM
I prefer wood fired. Easy to come by, here that is. I can control the amount of hear easily, but I drink coffee instead of tea, unless its really good fresh tea from Japan.

:tu: I think the biggest thing I'm going to miss about the boat is the big cast iron wood burning range

So I take it you're generally an electric coffee machine gal Lynn? (I don't have one)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 02:25:36 AM
For home use I prefer the internal element type, as you said, more energy efficient.

We have a see through one, and for some reason I like to watch it boil.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:36:40 AM
So I take it you're generally an electric coffee machine gal Lynn? (I don't have one)

Yep. I've got one of the ones that brews one cup at a time. I drink either 1 or 2 cups a day. By 'cup' I mean mug, not an actual measurement, but I think you get the idea. It's a Black and Decker 'Brew N Go'.

I had an old copper kettle for a long time, but finally got rid of it after it sat unused for like 10 years.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:40 PM

For home use I prefer the internal element type, as you said, more energy efficient.

We have a see through one, and for some reason I like to watch it boil.

(Image removed from quote.)
It must be mesmerizing watching it boil!! Ever thought of putting pastry colours in it ;) ? I noticed that tea tastes funny using those internal element boilers since I can't really control temperature and it cools down soon too :( . I drink tea using the coffee machine (rarely used to make coffee anymore) to get the water hot and just add some cool water depending on the tea's variety. Could someone provide the name of a well-known english tea kettle, supposedly the traditional thing? I was reading an article about it some years ago and really liked the design but don't remember what it was called.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:04:39 PM
By the way, I like espresso very much but nothing beats this kind of coffee for me (although I'd choose tea everyday) :
I suggest you try it if possible. I understand it may feel weird as the coffee residues stay in your cup but it's worht trying in my opinion. And no, I don't use the espresso bar to make me tea :D
Turkish coffee.jpg
* Turkish coffee.jpg (Filesize: 221.37 KB)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:07:06 PM by firiki »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 12:33:44 PM
It must be mesmerizing watching it boil!! Ever thought of putting pastry colours in it ;) ? I noticed that tea tastes funny using those internal element boilers since I can't really control temperature and it cools down soon too :( . I drink tea using the coffee machine (rarely used to make coffee anymore) to get the water hot and just add some cool water depending on the tea's variety. Could someone provide the name of a well-known english tea kettle, supposedly the traditional thing? I was reading an article about it some years ago and really liked the design but don't remember what it was called.

I'm not quite sure whether you're referring to a kettle like I showed in the OP, a teapot or a billy can  :think:

Did you mean one of THESE?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:36:54 PM by 50ft-trad »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 12:53:06 PM
I'm not quite sure whether you're referring to a kettle like I showed in the OP, a teapot or a billy can  :think:
Smurf :( I meant a teapot. Have looked in the web with no luck. It has this curved neck (how is it called) that nevers spills tea it seems. Any help would be great. Thanks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 12:59:43 PM
Finding a teapot with a spout that never spills or drips is like trying to find a supermarket trolley without a dodgy wheel  :rofl:

I will have a look for you though  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 01:23:27 PM
WTF???  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 01:26:25 PM
I never used a traditional kettle since I married (20 years ago 20 days from now). We use an electric kettle (only we call it a boiler here). But my mother used a traditional, the one that whistles. The difference is speed and this is a great difference. We use the boiler for tea, chamomile etc and for speed boiling water for pasta. Coffee is sometimes espresso or capuccino but 99% good, old turkish coffee (called with many other ethnic names also), near boiled in a pot. Whatever it is called it is the best coffee.

No kettle or machine can do that.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 01:49:11 PM
WTF???  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Helps you make a full-bodied tea, with lots of flavour. It also gives your tea a great colour :D and spices up your dull moments in life :facepalm:
I'm inclined to ask once more, WHY, oh why would someone make something like this? Why do I suddenly feel sick? WHYYY?? (I could be the orange cat in this video)

Edit: I admit this video comes to my mind quite often when I'm wondering "why?". Oh, well. :poh: :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:53:51 PM by firiki »

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 06:40:28 PM
I use a target kitchen aid stove top whistling scuttle as a slow boil makes for some stout iced sweet tea.

:tu:
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 06:42:25 PM
What is that cat on?! :D

Lynn, I found that many of my friends in the US didn't have kettles either. Tea is a much bigger thing over here I suppose, and I eventually caved in to the lure of a coffee maker too. Love the thing :tu:

We do still have an electric kettle though, which gets used for a lot of stuff including tea :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gr Offline firiki

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 09:44:16 PM
What is that cat on?! :D

British flair :gimme:
That cat gets astonished at times and loses all sense of humor:  >:D A toilet seat for my tea!? With flowers on it!? :twak: :D
No kettle or machine can do that.
Nice picture and a true statement IMO :tu:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 02:03:05 AM
 :tu: Coffee from a cezve is great! Pretty rare around these parts, though.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 09:08:54 PM
Joining in on a slightly dated thread i know, but here is my hob-top kettle:

another Le Creuset. 8)

All the points Al made in the OP are perfectly true, and for a quick cuppa in the morning I'll use an electric kettle, but if you have a little more time then there is just something more satisfying about boiling up some water in a proper kettle. :dd:

As for a non-drip teapot have a look at the London Pottery Globe range, I have a 2 cup one in matt black and it has never dripped once. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 11:16:54 PM
I did some rough calculations a while back and found that boiling water on a gas hob costs about the same as boiling it in a kettle. Gas is cheaper than electricity but the electric kettle is more efficient at getting the heat in to the water rather than the room. Assuming it's summer and the spare heat from the hob is wasted rather than reducing your heating bill, that approximately cancels out the reduced cost.

As I say definite back of the envelope calculations and completely irreverent for me as I'm not on mains gas.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 11:30:10 PM
i do loathe electric ovens having grown up with natural gas. Gas cooks better. When i finally buy a house it's gonna be gas.
:like:    :MTO:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 12:13:39 AM
( :think: Are glass teapots horrible? :think:)
As for a non-drip teapot have a look at the London Pottery Globe range, I have a 2 cup one in matt black and it has never dripped once. :)
So, you're saying there's no fixed traditional style. Some article that was! :rant:
Thanks for your suggestion. The black matt is great and they had one in dark green that's out of stock :cry: .

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 09:12:34 AM
I'm not a teapot historian or anything, but that globe style is at least 'typical' if not 'traditional'.  I have had quite a few pots over the years that all look similar but that one from the London Pottery is the first one I've had that didn't drip at all.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 09:17:18 AM
I don't want to derail this topic before it gets going, but I actually don't even own a kettle. I'm more of a coffee drinker, and when I DO drink tea, I just heat one mug of it in the microwave. I have also been known just to use a pan on the stovetop.
:twak:

;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%