Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[Opinion Wanted]Leatherman E33BX Knife/multitool

Offline jpmartinho78

[Opinion Wanted]Leatherman E33BX Knife/multitool
on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:45 PM
Hi there, today I saw one Leatherman E33B Knife at a local store and was surprised that it came already with a 154cm steel blade. When I got home, as I was searching for reviews on that, I realized that there was an E33BX with the part serrated blade.

So, the thing is, for my line of work (law enforcement), do you think that´s suitable?? Instead of carriyng a knife and a multitool??

Thank you

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Re: [Opinion Wanted]Leatherman E33BX Knife/multitool
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:38:02 PM
I do not have a Leatherman knife. so here is a link to some opinions.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31128.0.html

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:41:15 PM
I have several of the Leatherman knives (including the e33B), and I love them, especially the models with 154CM blade steel.  great knives at a very reasonable price, IMO.

that being said, I wouldn't carry one instead of a MT.  I think they make a great compliment to carry with a separate MT, but I feel naked if I don't have pliers with me.  :multi:

to each their own, though -- if you don't use the pliers much, this might be a great substitute for you.  I would think the smaller size knives (with the "33" designation) would be great for law enforcement since the knife can be opened and closed with one hand.  (sidenote: I love the Blade Launcher opening system on the smaller Leatherman knives.  takes a bit of practice to get used to it, but it's a slick opening mechanism.)

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:45:22 AM
  No knife is going to replace a pliers-based multitool. They do however make great companions, like a K9 unit.

Myself had went for a K503X, which is a much heavier and more real Leatherman knife. The C & E series are more light weight to tote the Blade Launcher mechanism. So the handles have to free up some space on each side of the blade so it can swing into action. The metal on the expanse is more for looks and less for functionality.

Had went for a much heavier duty knife, but is more geared to right-handed use as opposed to either-hand use. The blade launcher can be used with either hand, just like that every good officer should be able to shoot with either hand.
Show content
  You can still look at Leatherman's Retired Knives section of their company webpage for more information. Often they have downloadable manuals.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Yalius

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:46:18 AM
  No knife is going to replace a pliers-based multitool. They do however make great companions, like a K9 unit.

Myself had went for a K503X, which is a much heavier and more real Leatherman knife. The C & E series are more light weight to tote the Blade Launcher mechanism. So the handles have to free up some space on each side of the blade so it can swing into action. The metal on the expanse is more for looks and less for functionality.

Had went for a much heavier duty knife, but is more geared to right-handed use as opposed to either-hand use. The blade launcher can be used with either hand, just like that every good officer should be able to shoot with either hand.
Show content
  You can still look at Leatherman's Retired Knives section of their company webpage for more information. Often they have downloadable manuals.

I'll back you up on this. I have a K502, E55B, and E33Bx, plus several more from the H, K, E and C series, and the grip on the K502 is, no kidding, one of the best ever put on a knife. I'm not as thrilled with the grips on the E33Bx, but it's still a great, tough little knife at crazy-low prices for what you get.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:34:31 AM

Show content

I'll back you up on this. I have a K502, E55B, and E33Bx, plus several more from the H, K, E and C series, and the grip on the K502 is, no kidding, one of the best ever put on a knife. I'm not as thrilled with the grips on the E33Bx, but it's still a great, tough little knife at crazy-low prices for what you get.

I agree with this as well -- my k502x is a beast of a knife.  Great grip, like Yalius said, and the blade hits a sweet spot in terms of size and function.  I like my e33 knives, but the k502x is by far my favorite.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:39:27 AM
  Only one downside to the K503/x is the large bit driver. Leatherman should have at the very least made the driver to seat into the back spring a tad further, as when under pressure the driver will fold up.
  The better solution would of been to had a secondary back spring lock for the large bit driver. That would have been the obvious choice.

I like just about everything else on the knife, and it is rugged and a beast of a knife. Heard that the long MUT bit will fit into the handle bit carrier. Haven't gotten one, but have plans on the next order from their company.

Side Note: Makes me wonder about Leatherman's QA testing. Their pruners also lacked one serious thing, no locks on key tools. With the Vista their developers put on a very aggressive twin bladed awl, yet with no locking ability it would too fold up under use.

Edit: MUT not NUT  :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:41:42 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 11:26:11 AM
Leatherman's knives are truly "unsung heros"!!! :salute: :tu: :salute: :salute: :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 04:50:51 PM
Side Note: Makes me wonder about Leatherman's QA testing. Their pruners also lacked one serious thing, no locks on key tools. With the Vista their developers put on a very aggressive twin bladed awl, yet with no locking ability it would too fold up under use.

Leatherman addressed that issue by including all locking tools on the next-gen pruners, the Genus.  :tu:  my brother and I bought one for my mom (an avid gardener) years ago, and it quickly became her favorite set of pruners. Wish they were still in production... and as long as I'm wishing, I wish the Expanse series knives were still in production so they could include a lock for the bit driver on the next gen.  :-[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%