Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How much blade do you NEED?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: How much blade do you NEED?
Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 07:02:58 PM
An issue that effects small blade performance is handle size and shape . The big limiting factor for me with Classics , Ramblers etc , is the dinky handles .

Chris

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 07:44:16 PM
I think that's a fair point. I find the small blade on the Small Tinker, which is about the same length as the blade on a 58mm, to be much more 'stable', but I can't tell if it's handle size, or blade thickness (cutting edge to spine), or the overall thickness of the metal stock used... or maybe a combination of all those factors.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 11:13:17 PM
Leaving out the "other" tools because we're just talking blade size here, I've EDC'd blades of various sizes from the dinky little efforts on 58mm/Micra/Dime etc right up to Tactical Folder size.

Generally I have found that the Pioneer is about the point where I don't find myself in situations where I end up wishing that I had a longer/tougher blade, but most times a 84mm Vic or a Wenger will do anything I need.

If I'm pocket carrying anything smaller than a 84/85mm SAK (or equiv) I will have something bigger in my bag.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 12:21:02 AM
I could get by just fine with a 58mm blade.  I like to carry a bigger blade just in case.  So I do both.  I carry something like a PS4 or Manager, plus a larger folding knife like a Delica, etc.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:21 AM
I think that's a fair point. I find the small blade on the Small Tinker, which is about the same length as the blade on a 58mm, to be much more 'stable', but I can't tell if it's handle size, or blade thickness (cutting edge to spine), or the overall thickness of the metal stock used... or maybe a combination of all those factors.

Doing a crude wiggle test, the small "large SAK" blade feels much more solid than the 58mm blade to me. I was rather expecting a similar blade in my Manager to the larger SAK and was a bit disappointed really. Still, it seems to do the job so far.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 01:19:16 AM
Don't sell 58mm's short . I read a post over on BF from a dude who had bought a bunch of TSA seizeures , some he tested to destruction . The scissors will cut up to 12ga. solid copper wire , the blades/backsprings don't fail under normal EDC tasks .

Chris

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:16 PM
 :tu:

As I said earlier, I destroyed a pretty substantial cardboard box with one the other day.
I'd be curious to see the test if it's convenient. Don't worry if it's lost in to the depths of the internet!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 01:05:44 AM
Leaving out the "other" tools because we're just talking blade size here, I've EDC'd blades of various sizes from the dinky little efforts on 58mm/Micra/Dime etc right up to Tactical Folder size.

Generally I have found that the Pioneer is about the point where I don't find myself in situations where I end up wishing that I had a longer/tougher blade, but most times a 84mm Vic or a Wenger will do anything I need.

If I'm pocket carrying anything smaller than a 84/85mm SAK (or equiv) I will have something bigger in my bag.

This.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:00 AM
for my needs a spyderco honeybee slipjoint has served as a loyal & dependable friend for many years. It's actually my "go to"... but always have a vic cadet / pioneer as reinforcements if the task at hand proves to be a challenge for my frontliner blade  :tool:
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline getahl

Reply #39 on: May 01, 2013, 05:27:23 AM
I can get by just fine with my Classic. I love the pen knife, and, outside of cutting up a piece of meat, bread, or fruit, handles most all of my knife-related chores. I use an Opinel for that :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%