Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Steens 7544

Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
Leatherman Steens
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
A fellow who has been employed at our shop for over twenty years is leaving us. A few months ago he announced his plans to permanently move to Alaska this spring. The guy is a real outdoorsman-wannabe and he is following his long time dream to move to the wild north and spend more time hunting and fishing and such. He is at an age where if his dream is ever going to be realized, now is the time before he gets any older. I admire his courage.

So anyhow, the rest of us threw in together and got him a going away gift. It arrived a few days ago, a Leatherman Steens hunting knife:

I was not able to try the Steens out of course, but I did manage to play with it a bit and snap a few pictures.

My first impression was how large the whole knife is, followed closely by how well it is constructed. The heavy leather sheath is a thing of beauty, harking back to the time when Leatherman was known for its premium leather sheaths. The blade itself is premium S30V. The handles are machined aluminum, with a fancy rosewood inlay.

Overall length of the knife is 9-1/2" (240mm) with the blade being somewhat less than half of that. Blade thickness is about 3/16" (4.5mm) sandwiched between the two aluminum scales.

Being a Leatherman, the Steens is of course more than "just" a knife. Flick the thumbstud and out folds a wicked bone saw, which locks in place over the knife blade.

Length of the saw blade seemed a little short to me, limiting the length of stroke one could make. The teeth were wickedly sharp though. (Notice two rows of teeth)

Much more useful it appeared to me was the large cutting/skinning hook. Push the pivot button on the side of the Steens and it rotates and locks into place. Note that the knife blade is now safely contained in the handle.

Because the gut hook is an integral one piece part of the knife blade, it seemed very stout. Some hooks I've seen on smaller knives are really nothing more than a toy. Not so on the Steens.

And like the late-night television commercial says, "But wait, that's not all!" Contained within the Steens' sheath is a handy little diamond file kit. Slip it out, flip it around and install it on the case/handle and its ready to go.

The diamond file has three different type of surfaces for touching up the Steens should it become dull. A round area, a flat area, and a v-notch groove. (And the diamond file is also sold as an accessory should it ever become misplaced)

So overall I was fairly impressed with the Steens. It is far bigger than any knife I am likely to ever carry, but the fellow we are giving it to is a big guy with big hands. This should be just right for him up in the wilds of Alaska.  :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:03:32 PM by J-sews »

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
No Life Club Posts: 4,230 Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Re: Leatherman Steen
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
WOW!!! That thing is HUGE!!! It's a lot bigger than I imagined. I'm sure he's going to love that.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.
Sr. Member Posts: 289
Re: Leatherman Steens
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »
It would make my year if someone gave me one of those, that thing is awesome.
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,959 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
Bloody fine gesture mate :salute:

Thats not a bad little knife is it :), I bet it'd be a bugger to clean all the gore out of though :D

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »

Thats not a bad little knife is it :), I bet it'd be a bugger to clean all the gore out of though :D

Ha, that's what I was thinking too! >:D :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,959 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »

Do you reckon you'll be able to hear him cursing you name all the way from Alaska everytime he has to clean it :D

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 10:14:15 PM »

Do you reckon you'll be able to hear him cursing you name all the way from Alaska everytime he has to clean it :D

You don't know this guy...a real Grizzly Adams sort of a bloke. He'll likely be licking the goo off the knife when he's done using it! :P

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:15:27 PM »

You don't know this guy...a real Grizzly Adams sort of a bloke. He'll likely be licking the goo off the knife when he's done using it! :P
Nice!, thanks for the mental image Bob :o :D

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,271
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 09:47:43 PM »
eeew! and nice gift! I've only heard if it once I think, never seen pictures, thx bro
I think I like it!

Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,078 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:16:13 PM »
Not the sort of thing I'd ever need, but it does look stunningly well made.  :)

I'm back!!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,550
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »
Oh okay, that's how the sharpener is stored. On leatherman website the animation shows it somehow come out of handle, had me confused.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,264 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 08:26:31 PM »
Thread necro!!!

A friend asked me today what my thoughts were about this knife. He found one for 100€ and wants to gift it to his father for Christmas. His father's a hunter. I never heard of it before so I dug around and found this thread. :D I like the specs of it but would like to hear your thoughts on it. Does anyone have one, or used one of these? How's the lock? How does the bone saw perform?

Thanks!

:hatsoff:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,550
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »
I seems to recall Bob saying the metal handle has some sharp edges so isn't very comfortable in hand. I have a nehalem which is a plastic handle folding version and it feels decent in hand.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $109.46
PayPal Fees: $6.30
Net Balance: $103.16
Below Goal: $196.84
Site Currency: USD
34%