Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$90 for a knife with 8Cr13MoV?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
$90 for a knife with 8Cr13MoV?
on: April 11, 2013, 06:40:14 AM
For fun I've been looking at folders, since I lost my Stretch 2 to TSA.  On knifecenter they have the CRKT Eraser by Liong Mah... very interesting looking knife; unique style, very appealing sheepsfoot style blade geometry that would make a great all around utility knife.

But, the blade is made of 8Cr13MoV, and the price on the knife is $90!?   :think:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CR8900/Columbia-River-8900-Mah-Eraser-Folder-3875-inch-Plain-Satin-Blade-G10-Handles

Shouldn't a knife in this price range come in at least something like VG10 or a higher quality Sandvik, with a full flat grind instead of a high hollow grind?

Am I being too much of a steel/blade snob here? 

Edit: just noticed the price has jumped significantly!  Now $110!  Maybe I am being a steel snob here, but I'm sorry... for a $100+ knife, the steel for the blade is just not good enough to justify that price!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Yalius

Re: $90 for a knife with 8Cr13MoV?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:42:07 AM
Yikes. And I thought the Kershaw folding field knife was high @ $99 MSRP / $65 street. That does seem a little... ambitious.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:53:24 AM
No, you are not being a blade/steel snob here.  A few months ago, I invested in a FFG Delica 4 with ZDP-189 blade steel... and I paid around $80 for it.

For $90, you certainly have every right to expect better quality steel.  Personally, I wouldn't touch that knife at the $90 price point.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:09:56 PM
Thanks guys!  Glad to know I haven't completely fallen off my rocker!   :whistle:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:59:16 AM
For fun I've been looking at folders, since I lost my Stretch 2 to TSA.  On knifecenter they have the CRKT Eraser by Liong Mah... very interesting looking knife; unique style, very appealing sheepsfoot style blade geometry that would make a great all around utility knife.

But, the blade is made of 8Cr13MoV, and the price on the knife is $90!?   :think:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CR8900/Columbia-River-8900-Mah-Eraser-Folder-3875-inch-Plain-Satin-Blade-G10-Handles

Shouldn't a knife in this price range come in at least something like VG10 or a higher quality Sandvik, with a full flat grind instead of a high hollow grind?

Edit: just noticed the price has jumped significantly!  Now $110!  Maybe I am being a steel snob here, but I'm sorry... for a $100+ knife, the steel for the blade is just not good enough to justify that price!

I may be missing something here but the Mah Eraser is AUS 8, and it always has been.

I agree the price is a little goofy, though.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:17:12 AM

I may be missing something here but the Mah Eraser is AUS 8, and it always has been.

I agree the price is a little goofy, though.
I could have been mistaken, but I distinctly remember reading it as 8Cr13MoV... perhaps they changed it?  Could the price change reflect a change in production of the knife?

Regardless... I still think for the price it should have a better steel, and at least a full flat grind.  I greatly dislike the cutting characteristics of hollow ground blades.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 07:22:02 AM
I could have been mistaken, but I distinctly remember reading it as 8Cr13MoV... perhaps they changed it?  Could the price change reflect a change in production of the knife?

Regardless... I still think for the price it should have a better steel, and at least a full flat grind.  I greatly dislike the cutting characteristics of hollow ground blades.

The Mah Eraser has never been made in 8Cr13MoV.  It's a strictly Taiwanese, not Chinese produced knife.

As for the grind, every one of CRKT's knives, tools etc. are production versions of custom designs.  Outside of cost considerations CRKT stays quite true to the originals unless the designer specifically mentions they want a change made (adding jimping, for example).

The steel?  No idea.  The Acuto+ Ripples street for slightly lower cost, but there may be intricacies to the build of this knife that have driven up the cost.

Offline shecky

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 08:17:11 AM
8Cr13MoV is good steel, easily equal to any of Sandvik's usual offerings. I doubt anyone would be able to distinguish it from AUS8 outside a metallurgy lab.

This is a case where symbolism is more important than performance.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 12:06:48 AM

The Mah Eraser has never been made in 8Cr13MoV.  It's a strictly Taiwanese, not Chinese produced knife.

As for the grind, every one of CRKT's knives, tools etc. are production versions of custom designs.  Outside of cost considerations CRKT stays quite true to the originals unless the designer specifically mentions they want a change made (adding jimping, for example).

The steel?  No idea.  The Acuto+ Ripples street for slightly lower cost, but there may be intricacies to the build of this knife that have driven up the cost.
Thanks for the info. 

I still think that for a $110 price tag, it should be at least something like VG10.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 12:48:20 AM
Yeah regardless of aus8 or 8cr, $110 is too much for the material. My VG10/Ti Epicenter was only a bit more than that.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 10:13:27 PM
8Cr13MoV is good steel, easily equal to any of Sandvik's usual offerings. I doubt anyone would be able to distinguish it from AUS8 outside a metallurgy lab.

This is a case where symbolism is more important than performance.
Regardless; the price is out of line for the quality of the steel.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%