Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

hedgehog the Romany way

gb Offline Philby

hedgehog the Romany way
on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:07 PM
I was always told that the Romany gypsy ate hedgehogs packed in clay, then buried in embers. The clay hardens and is cracked open to reveal a spineless cooked hedgehog 'the spines stick in the clay'. On this site however http://www.romanyroad.co.uk/#/romany-recipes/4524588877 at the bottom of the page another method is given. Anyone have any experience with either method?

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: hedgehog the Romany way
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:17:01 PM
Hi. I haven't tried the clay method but thought I can share some thoughts. It is widely known that gypsies here eat hedgehogs as they are abundant and easy to kill and rumor has it they 're yummy too (the hedgehogs). The clay method could work though I'm not sure what cooking an unskinned animal can give. The way shown in the link is similar to what can be done with poultry. However, if their spines are made of keratin like bugs, horns, our hair and fingernails burning them might result in a ozonous, most unpleasant smell you 'll probably want to avoid. Also, I believe hedgehogs are considered inappropriate for human consumption nowadays and another thing is that it's always better to wait a couple of days for a killed animal to get ripe (don't know how to say this). Just my two cents.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: hedgehog the Romany way
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:47 AM
Get ripe, also known as aging. It also tenderizes it :). I'd eat the hedgehog. Can't be worse than some of the other things I've eaten. We don't even want to go there lol
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%