Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lanyard position on plier based mt's?

Zed · 35 · 3167

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Lanyard position on plier based mt's?
on: April 12, 2013, 07:33:42 PM
This has always bugged me,it wasn't untill I got a pst and a paratool that I personally prefer the lanyard attachment at the pliers end, my reason is because the lanyard bugs me when in the way of drivers as you turn  :-\ I prefer to have a lanyard but only in this position, anyone else prefer it this end  :tu:
IMG_00000134.jpg
* IMG_00000134.jpg (Filesize: 96.16 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Lanyard position on plier based mt's?
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:17:21 PM
It's funny you should mention this as I just put a micro light on my PSTII today.  I always looked at that as an odd place for the lanyard, plus the PST's hole is rather small and it looks like a tight fit for anything other than a skinny keyring.  The light looks kinda silly there, but I've recently gotten onto a lanyard/micro light kick.  I do agree about the lanyard or light getting in the way of drivers though.  They are handy, but do also get in the way at times, but I've had fun accessorizing :)  I can't post a pic at the moment, but will try to remember to do so tonight. 
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:23:25 PM
Need pics mate  :pok:  :D I like having a small lanyard as shown as can stick my finger through it so good if you slip,i might try a attachment set up like the PST on the kick once I mod it,i don't like the kicks large lanyard ring, the PST/pstll needs a split ring  :tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:37:12 PM
A lanyard on my Surge doesn't seem a good idea. On all my SAKs I put a lanyard through an Sbinner. That way I remove it quickly when I need to use the screwdrivers. But it barely fits in the lanyard ring and with the ring extended it doesn't fit in the pouch.
When I work with it (and I use it everyday) I put it temporarily in my backpocket or my side pocket with one handle in and one handle out (it is like having a built in side clip that way).

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:48 PM
That's a good idea  :salute: I like danglers on my sak still same issue but a handy set up,when looking at the kick too me it's a waste of a lot of space and prefer the PST/SOG set up,I look forward to sorting my kick as a bladeless set up with a lanyard mod  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 05:13:56 AM
Need pics mate  :pok:  :D I like having a small lanyard as shown as can stick my finger through it so good if you slip,i might try a attachment set up like the PST on the kick once I mod it,i don't like the kicks large lanyard ring, the PST/pstll needs a split ring  :tu:

Here you go:))

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1365822771543.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1365822771543.jpg (Filesize: 59.6 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1365822784357.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1365822784357.jpg (Filesize: 69.05 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1365822797449.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1365822797449.jpg (Filesize: 58.15 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1365822826892.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1365822826892.jpg (Filesize: 74.81 KB)
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:20:03 AM
I have the same light on my tinker as it's my lightweight set up as my champ I carry mainly in a pouch with a solitaire, i've also got a torch attached too a little latch that I can attach onto any splitting on any of my mt/SAK  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:15 AM
I have the same light on my tinker as it's my lightweight set up as my champ I carry mainly in a pouch with a solitaire, i've also got a torch attached too a little latch that I can attach onto any splitting on any of my mt/SAK  :tu:

Cool :tu:  You never know when you'll need a light, it can be very handy.
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:29:33 AM

:tu:. At work I always carry a small light saves putting on residents lamps and waking them up,for me the lanyard ring makes your mt/sak even more handy  :salute:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:32:37 AM by Zed »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 04:28:23 PM
When I put a lanyard on any MT, I like the kind that are thin, and usually about as long as the tool. This way, regardless of which end of the tool I'm required to use, I can hold the lanyard with a handle, and it stays out of the way.

So which end doesn't matter to me as much as length and thickness of the lanyard. It has to stay out of the way when i want it to.The PST and SAKs are the reason this method was developed.

On a second note, I HATE tools where the lanyard attachment won't swing out of the way to keep from interfering with deployed tools. That's just bad design.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 05:01:19 PM
When I put a lanyard on any MT, I like the kind that are thin, and usually about as long as the tool. This way, regardless of which end of the tool I'm required to use, I can hold the lanyard with a handle, and it stays out of the way.

So which end doesn't matter to me as much as length and thickness of the lanyard. It has to stay out of the way when i want it to.The PST and SAKs are the reason this method was developed.

On a second note, I HATE tools where the lanyard attachment won't swing out of the way to keep from interfering with deployed tools. That's just bad design.

Yeah I dislike that as well lynn,with the lanyard at the pliers end I put my finger through too keep it out of the way and and helps if i drop it,but like you Lynn I prefer shorter lanyards  :salute:

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 06:11:52 PM
I started this thread:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39990.msg640610.html#msg640610

a while ago.

This is how I solve the problem of lanyards on tools you use as drivers.

The open end design cuts down on accidental snags, and the lanyard can even be left on your wrist when unclipped.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 06:21:11 PM
I like the option of a lanyard point - normally at the end of the handles (don't like it at the pliers end one bit) - but it's very rare I attach any form of lanyard. The most frequent attachment is with keyring sized tools, attaching them to SAKs along with a small torch. That way I have a nice little pocket sized combo. I tend to use the lobster style clips so I can separate them though

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 07:03:58 PM
Yeah I've got a QR type lanyard I use with a light attached but prefer that on the tool end so can remove it easy, :tu:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 07:12:38 PM
I like the option of a lanyard , but only exercise it around water . Even then , just a two fingered one .

Chris

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:52:31 PM

:tu:. At work I always carry a small light saves putting on residents lamps and waking them up,for me the lanyard ring makes your mt/sak even more handy  :salute:

I used to think the lanyard rings were useless for the most part, but after some time on this forum, I began to think otherwise and gave them a chance.  Now I feel I need a micro light on several of my MTs/SAKs.  I also have a monkey fist lanyard on my black Alox Pioneer, which is also cool :tu:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 08:17:49 PM
Lanyards are good also on small pocket/keychain knives like spydercos ladybug etc as makes there handle seem longer  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 02:01:37 PM
Took some pics as why I like the lanyard like this  :tu:
IMG_00000158.jpg
* IMG_00000158.jpg (Filesize: 134.92 KB)
IMG_00000159.jpg
* IMG_00000159.jpg (Filesize: 146.65 KB)
IMG_00000160.jpg
* IMG_00000160.jpg (Filesize: 155.08 KB)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 02:21:05 PM
Bugs me too - I tend not to put any "unclippable" lanyards on MT's for this reason.

Either way, they get in the way! ::)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 02:52:41 PM
Bugs me too - I tend not to put any "unclippable" lanyards on MT's for this reason.

Either way, they get in the way! ::)

IT is a catch 22 chrissy,i prefer nothing dangling but like the handy side of having one,on the up side i've 3 spydercos coming and as there small models I know I'll add lanyards to extend there handle length for my father hands  :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 03:20:47 PM
Took some pics as why I like the lanyard like this  :tu:

That is a clever method :tu:  It makes sense as you can keep it right close in hand, and let it go if you need to without it dangling really loosely.  I think I need to lengthen the attachment to my micro light on my PSTII as it's awkward the way it is now.  It just seems too close to everything and doesn't have a way for me to hold it in place when the pliers are open.  It doesn't get in the way of any open/close action really, but it seems like it could get in the way in some form, depending on what I may be using it for.  I just need it long enough so that I can have it inside my grip when in use.  Keyrings are all that really fits in that tiny lanyard loop, so I'll have to figure something out.  I'll probably just end up taking it off if I don't though.
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 03:44:26 PM
Just needs ticketing with mate  :salute: I'm trying this out today on my knifless ppp  :tu:
IMG_00000162.jpg
* IMG_00000162.jpg (Filesize: 186.91 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 04:11:50 PM
Just needs ticketing with mate  :salute: I'm trying this out today on my knifless ppp  :tu:

Yeah, I figure I just need a similar clip type thing with another small keyring to solve my problem.  I actually enjoy messing around with this stuff :)  Sometimes I'll have a few MTs/SAKs out along with these accessories and will just be tinkering around with them when I'm sitting at the computer.  My wife thinks I'm obsessed ::) ;)
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 04:27:13 PM

Yeah, I figure I just need a similar clip type thing with another small keyring to solve my problem.  I actually enjoy messing around with this stuff :)  Sometimes I'll have a few MTs/SAKs out along with these accessories and will just be tinkering around with them when I'm sitting at the computer.  My wife thinks I'm obsessed ::) ;)

LOL I meant tinkering my tablet likes to change stuff  :D yeah this lanyard is good as can add it too other mt's /sak  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 04:39:18 PM
This works ok  :tu:
IMG_00000163.jpg
* IMG_00000163.jpg (Filesize: 102.89 KB)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 04:52:02 PM
And this is what I've decided to do  :tu:
IMG_00000164.jpg
* IMG_00000164.jpg (Filesize: 184.07 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 04:54:35 PM

LOL I meant tinkering my tablet likes to change stuff  :D yeah this lanyard is good as can add it too other mt's /sak  :tu:

I figured that's what you meant, but at first I was wondering if "ticketing" was some other term the UK crew used :D  Yeah, anything I have is attached by keyring, so it requires more effort to switch things around.  Except for my monkey fist lanyard on my Pioneer.  That's not much of an issue to remove if I want.
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:37 PM

I figured that's what you meant, but at first I was wondering if "ticketing" was some other term the UK crew used :D  Yeah, anything I have is attached by keyring, so it requires more effort to switch things around.  Except for my monkey fist lanyard on my Pioneer.  That's not much of an issue to remove if I want.

Ticketing almost sounds iligal  :rofl: good luck and will need pics  :pok:  :salute:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 05:01:04 PM
This works ok  :tu:

I actually had done that same thing on my Pioneer with the monkey fist lanyard and micro light both attached.  It seemed to be too much for me though as the light just seemed in the way if I swung the monkey fist around, or out of place.  I like the Pioneer much better with just the lanyard. 

This is my obsession part I think, in that I'm anal about these things and could spend a considerable amount of time analyzing the various options I have for setups and EDC.  I sometimes find myself just running various ideas/comparisons through my mind and that leads to me being indecisive at times when it comes to what I want to carry or how I want to accessorize each MT/SAK.  I think I need help :ahhh ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 05:05:02 PM

Ticketing almost sounds iligal  :rofl: good luck and will need pics  :pok:  :salute:

Oh will do.  I enjoy taking/posting pics now that I put Tapatalk on my wife's smartphone, but I'm limited in usage of it since it's hers and not mine (and she just loves all the MT/SAK pics in her phone's gallery;)  I can't wait until it's time for me to upgrade so that I can have full time access to take/post pics here :) 
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD