Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My oh oh kit. 834

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,157 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
My oh oh kit.
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »
My bugout bag.

I keep mine in my vehicle. The rational is that I live very close to blast furnace #7, the biggest and possibly the oldest in my city. Folks around here figure that if it goes, it will take half the city with it. In the past, we have had two incidences in the 13 years that I have lived here in the cities' west end.  A pivotal incident happened last summer. Sirens sounded, a big explosion. When I looked out, there was a huge visible fire at the steel plant. My neighbour thought it was a good idea to leave...so we took my vehicle and drove to Gross Cap to get a better look and  to be at a safe distance. It turned out they had a valve failure and it was no big deal. However, that reinforced my thought that I should be a little better prepared in case something bad did happen and I find myself away from my house for a while with just my vehicle. Thus came up the notion of having a vehicle bugout bag. That is my rational and I am sticking to it. :D

I pack everything away in a backpack.

These items are attached to the backpack's outside bungicord system. A simple light 1 person tent, 100 feet of rope, and my Katadyn system water filtration bottle.

In the front pouch, I have all of this in there.  A couple solar blankets, rain ponchos, hand warmer, light sticks,  Water disinfectant pills, storm proof matches, Ferro/magnesium fire starter, first aid kit, headlamp, Mini SAS survival guide,  particulate face mask,  Emergency whistle, and a pair of winter gloves.

In the main storage area I have a knife, crank emergency radio, a small camp axe,  two pliable silicon camp bowls,  fire starter material, several types of candles, cooking stove and fuel, toiletry kit, blue blanket plus inflatable neck pillow set, and a roll of duct tape.

For food, I just keep a few water bottles, chocolate bars, and granola bars on hand. All of which can fit in the backpack if needed.

Oh, forgot to say a Schrade NaviTool is included for good measure...just forgot to photograph it.

Am i turning into one of those paranoid preppers i see on TV all the time. I hope not.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:39:49 PM by Chako »

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
No Life Club Posts: 2,670
Re: My oh oh kit.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »
it's not very 'survival' but i like to include a pack of playing cards and some 'quiz' books , in my car kits
they don't take up much space but can relieve a fair amout of boredom if you're stuck in a car for a night or two. (also would be good 'tinder' at a push  :D)
and never forget to pack some 'loo roll'  :tu:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,902 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »
Mine is a real work in progress, and missing a LOT of stuff I want to add, but there's only so much budget for this, so I do what I can.

The contents of my bug out bag...
2 1-liter bottles of water (of an appropriate size for SODIS dinsinfection).
Four 4-mil trash bags, with 2 heavy duty 1-quart zip-lock bags on top of them.
Yellow stuff sack is my food. 1 plastic jar of peanut butter, 3 packets of gatoraid powder, and some granola bars
The blue bottle is a Katadyn filtering water bottle.
Red stuff sack is a complete change of clothing.
Spare pair of glasses.
Vic Spirit X (I'm taking my best tool with me if my life depends on it)
Smith's sharpener, Butane Lighter, Mini Maglite LED, Sharpie, and the little pouch under the Sharpie are Chlor-Floc water purification packets.
Toilet paper in zip-lock bag.
Sun Screen in ziplock bag.
Ear plugs.
Strike anywhere matches and parafin soaked cottonballs.
White Bandana
Deck of plastic playing cards
Fork and Spoon
Very Small radio
Pair of work gloves
20' of paracord
20' of duct tape
Back-up (or loaner) flashlight
Cigarette lighter plug for USB
trowel
Gardening Trowel

And the bag itself, a High Sierra backpack. This was a Christmas Present. I asked for green, I got red. It's not a great backpack, but it was free, and for free, it's an EXCELLENT backpack. :D

Some of the thinking behind this kit: I woke up a few years back with our furnace on fire, and billowing smoke. If it had been a real fire, I would have been more-or-less naked. So, first and foremost, this thing sits next to my bed, and has a complete change of clothes, and spare pair of glasses. I will likely throw in a pair of shoes now that I think about it.

I have intentionally cut the food down to a minimum. Mostly peanut butter. Doing this means I can skip the bulky cooking gear.

The Garden Trowel: Having used folding shovels before, I put more faith in this solid Garden Trowel. I also suspect at very most, I'd have to dig a cat hole or a dakota fire pit. For its size and weight, it's surprisingly capable.

Between the trash bags, Paracord, and Duct tape, I have everything needed to make a makeshift shelter, but I REALLY need to get an intentional shelter and sleeping gear.

Both First Aid and Toiletries are covered, but in another bag (my husband's). I should have redundant kits, but it goes back to available funds.

A lot of other stuff is in my purse, like cell phone charger. This sort of assumes I'll be able to get to it, which may not actually be the case. So, still a work in progress.
No Life Club Posts: 2,771
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
Nice kits Chako and Lynn! :tu: I also have a Katadyn mybottle purifier, nice piece of gear.
Hero Member Posts: 619 Gadget Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »
Good thinking Chako!  :cheers:

A couple points:

- If that radio can take batteries, keep some spares in their packaging. If it is the sort that only cranks and can't take batteries, be sure to take it out and crank it for a few minutes every 3 months. Otherwise the battery charge will drop too low and it will never hold a good charge afterwards.

- You may want to consider a change of clothes (as Lynn did) in case you're bugging out to a hotel or camping overnight. Even a change of underwear and socks will be a great comfort in a tough spot.

- Coghlan's stuff ranges from OK to awful. I certainly understand not wanting to drop hundreds of dollars on just-in-case gear right off the bat, but consider upgrading an item here and there as budget and attention permit. A better knife, better axe, or a better poncho (thicker, maybe with grommets to tie as a shelter) would serve you well if needed.

:salute:
No Life Club Posts: 2,261 This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:31:58 PM »
My BOB contains a full change of clothes as well as as extras such as a waterproof jacket, fleece and hiking shoes.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,902 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
- If that radio can take batteries, keep some spares in their packaging. If it is the sort that only cranks and can't take batteries, be sure to take it out and crank it for a few minutes every 3 months. Otherwise the battery charge will drop too low and it will never hold a good charge afterwards.

This is one of those things I've waffled over. I have both a weather band radio and flashlights that are crank powered. At some point, it occurred to me that even THEY have batteries in them. So, how is that significantly better than just carrying things that use batteries, and then carrying something like the newer batteries with 10-year shelf life? Using just battery powered items also cuts down on a LOT of bulk. For the things I have that DO use batteries, I've tried to go to only AA cells. I'm also thinking about buying a couple of those AAA to AA adapters, which would provide more options. Then I start wondering if I'm just overthinking all of this. :D
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »
Deck of cards added.  :doh:

Airballrad, the idea was to keep it as cheap as possible, but still functional. I have a mix of all sorts of stuff. I figured if worse comes to worse, I can at least camp it for a while if I couldn't find a hotel, etc. The extra clothing, I do have in the back of my vehicle.

Here is my toiletry kit. TP already in there. :)

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,053
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
ooomG, once I think I have enough stuff in mine, I see other people's BOBs and .... :X

Btw, Lynn, reading your suggestion about TP in the other topic .... lol. As I mentioned in it, last year during "our" earthquake while we were outside in the dark, one neighbour went to every single one of us, asking for exactly THIS...... poor woman, it was both so funny and tragic given the whole situation :facepalm:

I may take a picture and show the contents of my BOB later. It may be weird,  but I also keep all the other important stuff at home ArOuNd the BOB so that in case of sh** I can stuff as much of it as possible in the BOB ... including my netbook :facepalm:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,053
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:52:37 PM »
Ok, let's try to do it.....

So, this is how my BOB is positioned so to say. This is the bed, the BOB is on the shelf on the left... that red spot there :D Between the BOB and the wall of the shelf there's some space where I usually put my netbook when I go to bed (planning to throw it in the BOB if needed) and its charger. On the left of the BOB there's a small box with my spare batteries which are supposed to also go in the BOB if needed. I realize this might make stuff a little slow, but I don't have much money to spend on separate items FOR the BOB right now...

This is how the BOB looks when open.

This is the stuff in a small transparent bag in the front pocket of the BOB (things I think might be used the most, therefore put at the front, easy to reach). In it I have: LM Micra, Cheap knife, Fenix E01, anothe AAA flashlight, a spare AAA battery, something like duct tape, a lighter, matches, super glue, flash drive with pictures of important documents and may be sth else I don't see in the picture and was lazy to check...

And these are the rest of the contents of the BOB. True, no clothes, but as I normally sleep with some clothes and not pyjamas, I guess grabbing a jacket on the way to the door would be enough. There you see: on the left a white simple box with some pills, those... cotton-like things, not sure how to call them, used in medicine just for average using, not sterile and other stuff; pink package of tissues; a small axe; a nylon package with socks, more matches, more tissues, a dynamo flashlight; the green thing is a bar of chocolate; That purple NUT CASE there contains a spare phone with a charger as well as my separate ... spare ID i.e. international passport; a small cheap radio; a small cheap knife; that dark green wallet like thing there contains some... ok, crap for survival situations, but some family stuff like old coins & jewellery, may be a hundred or so years old, passed down to the generations; then there's my edc phone charger; a battery charger; and the stuff in that black bandana at the end is actually the hard-earned&saved-for-months cash ......I've put it in another, nylon, package to prevent it from getting wet or sth.

On that shelf you saw in the first picture there's my EDC Pocket Organizer, which should also go in the bOB and it has another flashdrive with important documents, real documents, internet modem and don't remember what more ....

I realize I'm not prepared for everything, but this should help me at least with the "average" needs.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:32:46 AM »
That looks like a great BOB N_N_R. Each BOB should be different depending upon the circumstances they are created for.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
December Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: $220.00
PayPal Fees: $14.35
Net Balance: $205.65
Below Goal: $94.35