Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Well, Leatherman has me back again.. Surge vs. Diesel: Surge wins

glorn · 16 · 2632

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Have carried a Gerber since the earliest model. Went through to the Pro Scout.. still loving the darned things with no reason to stop.

Then my wife bought me a SuperTool 200 to replace my lost Pro Scout. I didn't want it. I didn't like it. I carried it grudgingly.

Then I began using it. It worked well. Very well in fact. I came to appreciate the shiny nickel-like finish, the sleek lines, and the durability. It was a tightly built workhorse.

But it lacked scissors.. and a blade exchanger.. and the one handed opening. I was torn.

When I saw the Diesel on the web, I figured it was the answer to my prayers. Gerber had made a beefier version of the Pro Scout! It would have all the toughness and functionality of my ST200, but all of the slick details I loved about Gerber!

I got one. It was beautiful. A truly lovely design.

But you know what?

It is garbage.

I'm not sure what has happened. Maybe someone here could enlighten me.

The blade tip broke off on the first day. I was cutting stitches. It snapped off. I cut open a plastic zip tie the next day and that left the blade edge marred and blunted. Sad, but I figured I'd just get that blade out of there and be done with it. Get myself a nice blade off one of my old Pro Scouts, and all will be well again. No big deal. So they put a pretty, but useless blade on it. I can fix that.

Then I was using the cross head screw driver. All I needed it for was to pull a few wood screws out of a stair railing. It stripped and bent like it was made of copper. By the time I finished the job, the driver was so messed up that it would not finish turning the last screw.

I began to miss my ST200 badly. I was having extreme buyers remorse. Gerber had failed me for the first time. The Diesel is a dud. Oh, and it also has corrosion spots. Nice.

Sure, the ST200 had painfully inadequate lock releases. They were poorly designed. And it lacked scissors... etc. But I ditched my new Deisel and started carrying the old ST200 again.

Today I picked up a Surge on sale for $55. I must say that it sure looks like the answer I was seeking with the Diesel. Has all the bells and whistles. One handed blades trump one handed pliers in my book. It has the heft, the look, and the serious ready-for-business feel that my ST200 had. In fact, the only complaint I suppose I could have is that the old long reach driver is gone.

So it looks as though LM had me all along. All I needed was to own one and be forced to use it. I have now seen the light.

-provided of course that the Surge does not turn out to be a dog too..  ;)

G.     
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:22:37 AM by glorn »
G

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
I am glad you have one and hope it holds up. the core has the long driver but no scissors. you can buy an extension driver. I have been meaning to do that.

Offline bobofish

Gerber's come a long way from their old quality. They used to be made in Portland, now they're made in China. There are people who will swear to you up and down that that's a great thing, but I for one know better.

The surge IS awesome, and you won't find it to be a dud.

People forget that the Leathermans do have one hand opening pliers; you just grab one handle and flick out, readjust in your hand, and you are golden.

And ditto on the extension driver thingy, LM sells them for $6 plus shipping if I remember right. One of these days when I'm back in Portland, I'll post on this forum if anybody wants me to pick up some little doodads from LM to ship out for 41 cents instead of the shipping and handling fees normally charged.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
People forget that the Leathermans do have one hand opening pliers; you just grab one handle and flick out, readjust in your hand, and you are golden.

Some models yes, other models no.  Juice models and the Skeletools can't be flicked open, and other models like the Charges and Waves can't be opened very easily one handed unless they are loosened or well worn in.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
You made a very good choice! IMO, the SURGE is the best MT on the market! With the SURGE you don't have to makemany sacrifices if any. The only noticeable one I can see would be the weight( which doesn't bother me).  Like on the Swisstools and even the LM Charge models.  :cheers:
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
That's a bummer about the Diesel being a dud Glorn. Sounds like they didn't heat treat the blades and screwdriver. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline nezza33

I own a diesel and a surge and a charge and a mp6oo pro scout the mp600 is made in the USA. :salute:
J

Offline Leatherman123

Neeza, you have a great avatar!  :pok:
B

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Leatherman all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Nezza and LM, you both look alike?

Offline nezza33

Yeah i'll change the avatar soon didnt realise LM123 was the same. :oops:
J

Offline Leatherman123

You don't have to. I was only kidding!  :cheers:
B

Offline nezza33

You don't have to. I was only kidding!  :cheers:
Its ok mate. :salute:
J

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
I have a gerber mp600. It seems ok, but no match to Leatherman. When using the bit extension, the holder and handles rattle and not as firm as the adapters of LM. You can't use it for heavy duty work. I think the only one you can rely on is the pliers.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
I have been using the Surge now for some time and have put it to the same tests as the Diesel more or less. While I find the thin Phillips bit to be a tad awkward, it did not strip like the Diesel did. So I am pleased. And of course if it had, I could always replace it (though I would have been grossly disappointed).

I guess I am somewhat sad that the beautiful Diesel turned out to be of poor quality. But my sadness lifts the moment I look down at the Surge on my hip.

Funny. I cursed that Supertool 200 when I first got it and swore I'd never give up Gerber. It proved itself, and I should have gone to the Surge without the Diesel detour.

Ah well.

Glorn
G

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
That stinks about the Diesel, I've had nothing but good things to say about mine. The very tip of the knife blade broke off on my model too but other than that no problems to report.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%