Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice wanted from pipe smokers,

Grumpy · 123 · 6703

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Advice wanted from pipe smokers,
on: April 18, 2013, 08:18:08 PM
I smoke!! really really bad i know!!! i have given thought to taking up a pipe instead, i can't see it being as harmful as the dreaded cigarettes! so any advice about giving it a go would be appreciated :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Advice wanted from pipe smokers,
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:44:18 PM
Alright, so you want to smpke a pipe eh? Well you have come to the right place.
First off. If you smoke cigs, you are going to be nicking bad if you switch. Pipe smoker usally don't inhale, some do but most don't.
Now the good stuff.
 The best thing to do to see if you like or not is go to a good tobacco shop and buy a cheap corncob and some good tobacco. You can get aromatic or non aromatic tobacco. I would try one of each. You can try something like Half and Half or Prince albert but I suggest something top shelf stuff, something like MacBarons or Dunhill.
There are all kinds of things and neat tricks to learn but the main thing is to take your time smoking your pipe. If it goes out, don't worry about it, just relight it.
Pipe smoking is an art and is very relaxing.
I am sure some other will give you tips. If you have any questions just ask, I will try to help you as much as I can.
sent from Ducttapetech's roaming device
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:45:53 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:04 PM
Here I am sir.
I have smoked many harvests of fine quality tobacco and I can say that: Pipe smoking is a very pleasurable activity (most toxic and addictive substances are pleasurable, if not all), much better than cigarette tobacco smoking. But take the less harmful thing with a little grain of salt as Anglosaxons say.
As an Addiction SpeSmurfpillst I  believe in Harm Reduction. The "Just say No" politic is silly and obsolete. The ones who can "Just say No" already do it and they don't need doctors to persuade them. Only a 5% per year can do it and  this is optimistic. Substitution treatment is  an option for much greater portion of the addicted people population.
There are many substitution treatments for Tobacco and pipe smoking is the most pleasurable but less healthy. It is also one of the most costly and the less cost effective. There is a lot  of tar and a lot of nicotine if you inhale the  smoke and it produces a great passive smoking effect. I mean a lot of thick, dark and smelly smoke for  your kids, wife, friends and customers or coworkers. If you don't inhale you become a heavy passive smoker yourself and there always is an added cancer risk for your tongue, mouth and throat. Your smell and taste can't be improved, you eat and taste  Danske Club, you smell your daughters hair and they  smell as Murray's.
Then, there is the Electronic Cigarette. Much, much better. A relevation of tastes and smells, better lungs, absolutely no passive smoking. There's still some nicotine (as much as you want, down to 0mg) and maybe some glycerine and/or propionic glycole residue in the lungs, but that is day and the darkest  night if you compare it with tobacco smoking. It is not tested because it is something new and it is addictive, but it seems much healthier. That's what I do now.
Then there is Nicottine. You have options, such as inhalers, gums, patches. It works for motivated individuals and it is even healthier. Zero cancer risk and only heart attack risk remains, until you detoxificate gradually.
Then there are  the Dopamine enhancers. Bupropione (Zyban, even Wellbutrin works sometimes) and Varenicline (Cambix or Chantix) work with motivated persons. These are drugs and have side effects, so you'll have to contact  a local physician and follow a smoke cessation plan.
If you don't want to stop smoking and aknowledge the related risks and are prepared to spend some money (or travel occassionally outside EU and have access to Duty Free shops), then pipe smoking is an option. But I  suggest  that you have a well ventilated personal place to smoke, away from non smokers. Then I can give you further guidance.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:04:34 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:06 PM
I have tried smoking pipe in the past and I liked it a lot, for not inhaling tar to start with. The only reason I didn't continue was the odd looks I got when smoking publicly for I was too young. I have quit smoking for a year now. (This is a family friendly forum) I certainly suggest you try a water pipe as well, with some apple or mint flavoured tobacco or what you fancy. You can also put some liquor instead of water :D It's very different than smoking cigs and it is saturating but pleasantly IMO. It even makes the air smell great or at least less heavy than cigarettes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:04:44 PM
Wow that is some great advice guys :tu: :tu: i know it's an excuse but my job is stressful and a smoke keeps me calm, but i would like to change the habit and i think a pipe will be a good way start! plus i love the aroma of pipe tobacco :D
I'm going to get a pipe next week when i'm off work, so i'll def be calling back for your advice! :D
Thanks guys :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:17:22 PM
Before i forget, it takes a while to smoke a pipe. so if you have a 15 minute break, you might want to go with a half a bowl or less. Also draw slowly, dont smoke it like a old locomotive, your pipe will get hot. there is tons of vids on youtube that will help you get started.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:41 PM
Before i forget, it takes a while to smoke a pipe. so if you have a 15 minute break, you might want to go with a half a bowl or less. Also draw slowly, dont smoke it like a old locomotive, your pipe will get hot. there is tons of vids on youtube that will help you get started.

that's brilliant :tu: thanks, my dad smoked a pipe but he passed away nearly 30yrs ago so i haven't got him to ask for advice :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:26 PM
I'd agree with everything DDT said in his first post.  Here's a decent how to:

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Packing_and_Smoking_techniques

I'm 34, and at times get odd looks when I smoke my pipes, but that's OK with me.  :)  I do enjoy them.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:15 PM
Cheers Tom :tu: i'm an old man of 46 so i can get away with it :rofl: seriously i don't think it's an old man's hobby :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:41 PM
lmao, same here, im 34 and i gets some looks at time. some of them even good.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:24:43 PM
lmao, same here, im 34 and i gets some looks at time. some of them even good.

i think it looks distinguished :D sherlock holmes was cool n he smoked a pipe :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 11:34:19 PM
I started 17 years old. Smoking was a regular activity then with no negative social impact. Pipe was considered a trait of the intelligencia. Then I became a physician and it was paradox but I saved it by becoming a psychiatrist. Somehow it was considered a norm for my profession. I even got pipe related presents from patients (the rectangular stand, a Scavinelli, several lighters come from them).
People have some cognitive schemes that form reality.
Freud died from throat cancer btw (he was a cigar chain smoker).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 11:52:31 PM
The pipe is something I'm trying out at the moment too, and I'm nearly at the point of not getting tongue bite, which is the highly alkaline smoke burning your tongue away. The smoke from pipes AND cigars is alkaline which is one reason why you shouldn't inhale, you can't absorb nicotine that way - only from acidic cigarette smoke. The nicotine in the alkaline smoke is only absorbed through the mouth, not the lungs. I don't particularly want to stop smoking, just to take charge of how and when I get my nicotine fixes, and confusion has been my secret weapon. Much like kkokkolis mentioned earlier, I have gone for substitution rather than just cutting out/down. My tactic has been utter system bamboozlement.

To start off with I was hand rolling and going through over 50g a week of Golden Virginia (prob nearer 60g), and was a slave to it. I had tried electronic cigs before but it had gradually found it's way into the back of a draw and the cigs took full swing again. Remember that tin of snuff that had a little trip down South, Bazza? Well, it had a little trip three quarters of the way back up  ;)  Since then I've been trying out all different kinds of snuff types, flavours and strengths (yes, it is actually all HIS fault), having the occasional mouth destroying bowl of pipe baccy in a corn cob or cherry ozark, plus I have ressurected the electronic ciggy, and have introduced herbal "tobacco" into the equation to confuse stuff even further. I have also replaced the GV with flavoured tobacco, to remove the association with GV completely, and have moved to extra long filter tips in the roll ups as well.

It has rattled my system, that's for sure, and there have been times where I haven't been sure if my nic level was too high, too low, or whether my lightheadedness and occasional wave of nausia was due to a lack of whatever other noxious chemical I've cut down on, or simply if I need to take the few extra deep breaths that cig smoking would have made me do to get my oxygen levels up. It's been confusing, expensive, enlightening, fun, irritating, confusing, but most of all ... worth it! I have cut down to about 15g a week of roll ups now without any serious withdrawal symptoms, plus maybe 4 or 5 pipe bowls per week, and the rest is snuff, electric cigs, plenty of fluids and a few deep breaths. I only smoke outside too, whatever the weather, and having options has been the best thing for me.

The snuff has also been an effective "negative conditioner", by which it doesn't let you ignore the bad stuff that's happening inside escape your awareness. As soon as you blow your snout you are WELL aware of what's going off in there. This is programming my head that tobacco is dirty. Of course we already know that logically, but snuff means you cant ignore it and there's a constant reminder. Snuff is also potentially a lot less harmful than any of the smoking forms, as many of the 60+ carcinogens in baccy are only released or activated my combustion - carbon monoxide in smoke, but not in powder etc etc.

The only piece of advice I would give mate is TRY IT! If you are unhappy with the way things are right now, then change something. If it doesn't work, try something else. Eventually you will find a way through which suits you. Mine was confusion and shotgun pattern of solutions, and so far it's worked well (though I admit things could change at any time - I'm under no delusions). Good luck with it mate, and keep us informed  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:57:33 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:36 AM
Cheers Al for that :tu: I wish i was on 50g a week i'm smoking nearly 100g amberleaf/samson mix,  :facepalm: because i'm outside all day i can have a cig when i want, i tried patches once and it actually made me worse!! i tried the snuff and did nothing but sneeze :) i'm gonna try and get to my local tobbaconist tomorrow if i get time, and look at some pipes, i know it's going to take time but i going to persevere with it :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:44 AM
Al, tongue bite sucks!  >:(  Couple things that might be happening - your tobacco may be too moist, or you're pulling too hard and puffing too fast.  Your packing technique might also need some refining.  I had all of those problems when I first started, but nowadays a pipe is a pleasure.  :)  For helping tongue bite, try a mouthwash called Biotene.  Not sure if it's availible in the UK though...  :think:  Supposedly red wine helps too, but I've never tried it out.  I actually started smoking a pipe after I stopped drinking, and don't think the experiment would be worth the risk.  ;)  BTW, a nice site of pipe tobacco reviews, with a very appropriate name....  :tu:  http://tobaccoreviews.com/

I really gotta get a couple of pics of my pipes up.  This weekend, I promise.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 12:28:53 AM
yes you do....... :pok:
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:30:47 AM
Cheers Al for that :tu: I wish i was on 50g a week i'm smoking nearly 100g amberleaf/samson mix,  :facepalm: because i'm outside all day i can have a cig when i want, i tried patches once and it actually made me worse!! i tried the snuff and did nothing but sneeze :) i'm gonna try and get to my local tobbaconist tomorrow if i get time, and look at some pipes, i know it's going to take time but i going to persevere with it :D

Sneezing does happen with snuff at first, though I'm doing that a lot less now. 100g a week is hefty mate. I know how my lungs have felt if I've had a heavy week and gone through 50g in 4 or 5 days  :ahhh

Although I said confusion (of the system) has been my secret weaopn, it's actually led to a greater awareness. There's lots of reasons to make you reach for the cigs: Boredom, thirst, hunger, stress, tiredness, low oxygen, and of course Vitamin N  ;) My body now gives me more specific cravings instead of just screaming for a ciggy, and if I'm hungry I'll treat that instead of smoking, same with oxygen, thirst etc etc - on it's own that'll prob cut out a third of the cigs. If it's Vitamin N I'm craving, I'll try another means, electric or snuff; craving the taste, try a snuff with a tobacco flavour; craving the action of smoking, have a herbal cig or electric.

All I'm doing is breaking the patterns, throwing in many different options, and THINKING before I reach for the cigs. There ARE times every day when only a cigarette will do ... so I have one! No desk chewing torturous withdrawals, just confuse the system, awaken the mind, and whatever you choose to do instead of smoking ... ENJOY IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 12:36:47 AM

here is a pic to help remind you.
0418131832-1.jpg
* 0418131832-1.jpg (Filesize: 245.81 KB)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:38:58 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:03 AM
Al, tongue bite sucks!  >:(  Couple things that might be happening - your tobacco may be too moist, or you're pulling too hard and puffing too fast.  Your packing technique might also need some refining.  I had all of those problems when I first started, but nowadays a pipe is a pleasure.  :)  For helping tongue bite, try a mouthwash called Biotene.  Not sure if it's availible in the UK though...  :think:  Supposedly red wine helps too, but I've never tried it out.  I actually started smoking a pipe after I stopped drinking, and don't think the experiment would be worth the risk.  ;)  BTW, a nice site of pipe tobacco reviews, with a very appropriate name....  :tu:  http://tobaccoreviews.com/

I think it's all of the above, Tom. I've probably had less than a dozen pipes total, and the only tobaccos I have are shag and flake - one of which burns hot and the other burns wet unless I get my act together. My pipe choices are all piss poor cheapos too which doesn't help - but I did that on purpose. I have two mini corn cobs which are about the size of a Wenger SAK in length (85mm that is), a Cherry Ozark which is a bit cruddy, a very nice (of a fashion) carving blank which is predrilled, fitted with 9mm filter ... but is essentially a big old square lump of tree root  :D I also have an uber cheapo off-brand Churchwarden inbound to play with, and an XL corn cob coming with it. Aside from the carving blank, if you totalled up the amount all those other five pipes cost me, you still wouldn't have enough money to buy a decent one  :rofl:

I would like to learn how to smoke a pipe and enjoy it (and probably will) but realistically all it is at the moment is an avoidance tactic to dissuade a couple or three ciggies  :D I'm really getting into the nasal snuff at the minute though  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 12:43:05 AM

here is a pic to help remind you.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I thought "that's a WEIRD Calabash, or has he bust a Churchwarden?" till I blew the pic up and noticed that freehand (?) was laid on the Parker fountain pen  :-[

:rofl:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 12:44:50 AM
i used the Parker and SAK for scale for the Pipes.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 12:48:31 AM
Tom i've just been on the link you posted and now i'm even more confused, i didn't realise there was so many different pipe tobacco's :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 12:53:38 AM
Tom i've just been on the link you posted and now i'm even more confused, i didn't realise there was so many different pipe tobacco's :facepalm:

Long story short, Barry - more chance of tongue bite (not nice) off the "aromatics". Numpties like me and thee should be sticking to "English blends" apparantly to start off with. I have some Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader coming in, which aparantly should be a lot better than the face melting Rumbh, Dark Birdseye, and Bob's Chocolate Flake I got  ::) ... but yeah, it's a soddin' minefield the pipe baccy scene  :ahhh

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 12:53:47 AM
welcome to the world of pipe smoking. just like SAKs and multitools. Tons of stuff out there to try.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:32 AM
You thought SAKs could be confusing....  >:D  ;)  I'd say go to your local smoke shop and ask some questions.  Mine has their different blends out in jars for you to fill up your pipe as a sample.  :tu:  Tinned tobaccos are a bit trickier though....  Al, most of my pipes are inexpensive ones, Dr. Grabows.  They're nothing special, but my favorite pipe is actually one of them.  I also have a couple higher end ones, including a Peterson barrel I bought myself for one year sober.  :)  That's a lovely pipe.  I do have an Ozark or two floating around, as well as several cobs.  With cobs, I prefer what MM calls the Great Dane, which have a wooden plug at the bottom.  One of those is my favorite flake pipe......

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 12:57:01 AM

Long story short, Barry - more chance of tongue bite (not nice) off the "aromatics". Numpties like me and thee should be sticking to "English blends" apparantly to start off with. I have some Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader coming in, which aparantly should be a lot better ... but yeah, it's a soddin' minefield the pipe baccy scene  :ahhh

i think i might try clan to start with, i know my baccy shops sells samples & that may be the road to go down till i find the right one :D

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 12:57:26 AM
welcome to the world of pipe smoking. just like SAKs and multitools. Tons of stuff out there to try.

:facepalm:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 12:58:21 AM

Long story short, Barry - more chance of tongue bite (not nice) off the "aromatics". Numpties like me and thee should be sticking to "English blends" apparantly to start off with. I have some Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader coming in, which aparantly should be a lot better ... but yeah, it's a soddin' minefield the pipe baccy scene  :ahhh

i think i might try clan to start with, i know my baccy shops sells samples & that may be the road to go down till i find the right one :D

Just remember, if you get bitten, it's all Kirk's fault, not Al, DTT, or myself.  :)  Mmmm, Squadron Leader.....

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 01:00:05 AM
It is usually recommended that new people start off with aromatics then move to english\balkan blends. I say try a good one of each.
Aromatics have some kind of favoring added to the tobacco like cherry, chocolate, coffe and the such.
English blends are natural tobaks like Virginia, Burley and my favorite LATAKIA.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 01:02:11 AM

Just remember, if you get bitten, it's all Kirk's fault, not Al, DTT, or myself.  :)  Mmmm, Squadron Leader.....
yes, Kirk's fault....... :D
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24