Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice wanted from pipe smokers,

Grumpy · 123 · 6737

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Re: Advice wanted from pipe smokers,
Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 01:04:04 AM
Tom i've just been on the link you posted and now i'm even more confused, i didn't realise there was so many different pipe tobacco's :facepalm:

Long story short, Barry - more chance of tongue bite (not nice) off the "aromatics". Numpties like me and thee should be sticking to "English blends" apparantly to start off with. I have some Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader coming in, which aparantly should be a lot better ... but yeah, it's a soddin' minefield the pipe baccy scene  :ahhh

i think i might try clan to start with, i know my baccy shops sells samples & that may be the road to go down till i find the right one :D

Just remember, if you get bitten, it's all Kirk's fault, not Al, DTT, or myself.  :)  Mmmm, Squadron Leader.....
yes, Kirk's fault....... :D

:rofl: :rofl:

if i get my pipe tomorrow i'll let you know :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 01:09:21 AM
SWEET. I still suggest a corncob. You dont have to break it in and they are cheap. Also they smoke great!
Many of us seasoned pipe smokers smoke cobs. 
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:19 AM
SWEET. I still suggest a corncob. You dont have to break it in and they are cheap. Also they smoke great!
Many of us seasoned pipe smokers smoke cobs.

:D i've just been looking at them and i didn't realise they actually are dried corn cobs!! that is so cool

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 01:18:38 AM
here is a couple of my cobs
0418131915-1.jpg
* 0418131915-1.jpg (Filesize: 223.84 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 01:22:17 AM
here is a couple of my cobs

nice! :D you've made my mind up for me :D tomorrow i'll make time to buy one :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 01:24:11 AM
Just remember it's something you have to LEARN .... and it's a lot more complicated than I realised. You don't just stuff it in the hole, set fire to it and chug away - if you do that you'll look like old man Steptoe in a matter of minutes, and wish you'd taken up rubbing vinegar in your eyes and slamming your genitals in the lid of the chest freezer for a hobby. Keep smoking rollies mate, but just have a play with the pipe every other evening.

Another thing - when the baccy burns it produces moisture - yeah, I know - weird - but I didn't invent it, and we can't even blame Kirky Boy for that one. It does make the pipe wet though, and will need a day or so to dry out. If you smoke four or five bowls in a day it'll take about a week to dry out otherwise it'll taste like Anne Widdecombe's underwear. Then there's stuff to learn about cake depth, and dottle, and other weird crap I'm still figuring out.

Don't let this put you off though - it's worth a crack to figure it all out just to say you can do it  ;) Just don't thinjk you're going to buy a nice lump of briar and everything will be easy - it wion't - it's a whole new world. Have a crack at it though mate  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:26:36 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 01:27:43 AM
Just remember it's something you have to LEARN .... and it's a lot more complicated than I realised. You don't just stuff it in the hole, set fire to it and chug away - if you do that you'll look like old man Steptoe in a matter of minutes, and wish you'd taken up rubbing vinegar in your eyes and slamming your genitals in the lid of the chest freezer for a hobby. Keep smoking rollies mate, but just have a play with the pipe every other evening.

Another thing - when the baccy burns it produces moisture - yeah, I know - weird - but I didn't invent it, and we can't even blame Kirky Boy for that one. It does make the pipe wet though, and will need a day or so to dry out. If you smoke four or five bowls in a day it'll take about a week to dry out otherwise it'll taste like Anne Widdecombe's underwear. Then there's stuff to learn about cake depth, and dottle, and other weird crap I'm still figuring out.

Don't let this put you off though - it's worth a crack to figure it all out just to say you can do it  ;) Just don't thinjk you're going to buy a nice lump of briar and everything will be easy - it wion't - it's a whole new world. Have a crack at it though mate  :tu:

I will do Al :tu: but more importantly how the smurf do you know what anne widdecombe's underwear tastes like???  :facepalm:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 01:28:34 AM
 :think:
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 01:32:43 AM
I refuse to say anything without my solicitor being present  :whistle:

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:11 AM
I refuse to say anything without my solicitor being present  :whistle:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:44 AM
LMAO!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 01:35:01 AM
:think:

DTT she was a british politician, now she's a wrinkly old woman :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: April 19, 2013, 01:38:18 AM
ahhhh, but i was thinking more about how one would smoke underwear in a pipe.
 :facepalm:
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: April 19, 2013, 01:43:56 AM

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: April 19, 2013, 01:45:55 AM
 lol! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 01:46:56 AM

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 01:49:43 AM

I diffidently dont wont to know what that tastes like in a corncob, or any pipe for that matter.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:20 AM
Trust me - my pipe has been nowhere near her pants!!!!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 01:52:31 AM
Good to know.  :D
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 04:18:27 AM
 :rofl: I step away for two hours and the thread explodes!  Gotta love it.  :tu:  As to corncobs, I love them.  I've got five or six of them here.  They're a great way to get into pipe smoking and see if it's for you.  Beware of knockoffs though!  The only cobs I'll smoke are made by a company called Missouri Meerschaum.  They also make the hardwood Ozark Al mentioned earlier. http://corncobpipe.com/
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 07:00:22 AM
Falcon pipes are a great way to avoid tongue bite. They are concentric and the smoke duct is made just in the center and vertical. Tobacco burns evenly with less effort, so it is cooler. Then it cools off even more in the stem, especially longer ones. And it is easier to clean them. They are cheap also and you can always use new bowls with the same stem and let the used ones dry. They dry easier because of their size and shape. Traditional pipes look cooler and some are work of arts but Falcon pipes are smoking power plants.
I rolled about 25gr a day, no filter, or 5-10 bowls, or a mix of it. And for a Greek smoker I am considered conservative.
Good mixes for beginners are always Cpt Black (Gold, Blue or Red) and Blackwoods (cheap and cheerful). They are wet and that helps controlling the burning of tobacco.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 09:10:13 AM
Here seems a good place to ask: is there any reason you couldn't use a normal hand rolling tobacco in a pipe?  I've tried pipe smoking before but never found a tobacco that I liked as much as my smooth Golden Virginia. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:13 AM
Here seems a good place to ask: is there any reason you couldn't use a normal hand rolling tobacco in a pipe?  I've tried pipe smoking before but never found a tobacco that I liked as much as my smooth Golden Virginia. :shrug:

Rolling tobacco burns quicker and at a higher temperature. Of course you could add some moisture or mix it with pipe tobacco. And there are some pure or almost pure (with a bit of Oriental) Virginia tobacco blend.

OMG. I am going to relapse.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:39:04 AM by kkokkolis »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 10:50:43 AM

Shag tobacco would be a good halfway point I reckon. It's pretty much rolling tobacco that cut into chunkier strands and taxed at a lower rate for pipe smoking. I should also mention that it's actually illegal to use shag tobacco for hand rolling purposes for the tax reasons :whistle:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 11:27:20 AM
:rofl: I step away for two hours and the thread explodes!

Kirky's fault - he wanted to try snuff! It all went downhill from there

They're a great way to get into pipe smoking and see if it's for you.  Beware of knockoffs though!  The only cobs I'll smoke are made by a company called Missouri Meerschaum.  They also make the hardwood Ozark Al mentioned earlier. http://corncobpipe.com/

Yup! All my corncobs are MM's. They do work just fine, but they are easily damaged if you are a clumsy arse. Then again, my two mini corn cobs cost me £1.99 each  :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 12:58:03 PM
  I don't smoke, but had tried a pipe for a few years. The flavour teases the tongue, and though I say have never intentionally inhaled pipe smoke it no doubt did get inhaled at some point. Started with a briar pipe, which I think still have packed around somewhere. Took a while to get a good carbon layer inside, then it smoked a lot better.

Pipe smoke doesn't seem to bother others for the aromatic tobacco. Tried a pipe shop blend something that started with a C. Wasn't cavendish, was a more Western European name, was a good blend from the one shop I bought from in Sacramento. Other shops claimed to have that blend but it never tasted the same. Shenandoah was also a good blend, or something with flavoured with nougat.

Moisture build up in pipes and that stuff is nasty & bitter. Had to keep tobacco tamped down firmly, and eventually got myself & my dad a round lighter for that purpose. Think I had stopped when I started working in security.

Past the briar pipe, the next best for me was a meerschaum pipe. Intricately carved and quite an investment. The more golden colored it gets the more the value increases as a collectable. :tu:

• Aromatic (Flavored) Pipe Tobacco Blends
    Milan's aromatic tobaccos are lightly topped with a natural flavoring that provides both aroma (room note) and flavor when smoked. This casing may make the tobacco more moist than a non-aromatic blend. Some pipe smokers will set a portion out to dry a bit, while others will take the higher moisture content into account when packing the pipe.

• Non-Aromatic Pipe Tobacco Blends
    Our non-aromatic tobaccos are blended with a focus toward the natural tobacco flavors rather than added flavoring. The unsmoked tobacco and room note from these non-aromatics typically offer earthy scents like hay, spice, grasses, and wood.

• English Pipe Tobacco Blends
    Milan Tobacconists' English blends incorporate Latakia with Virginia, Burley, Turkish, Oriental, and Perique tobaccos to provide a more rich and complex smoking experience. The room note is smoky and peppery.

Haven't touched a pipe since my mid to early 20's
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:00:21 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 02:18:03 PM
Bought my corn cob pipe today :D :D pics will follow tonight :D :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 02:20:49 PM
Sweet! What kind of tobak did you get?

sent from Ducttapetech's roaming device