Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cheap No-Name Plier Based MT Review

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Cheap No-Name Plier Based MT Review
on: April 21, 2013, 02:41:34 PM
About two weeks ago I got this no-name Mammuth MT clone which is a clone of the Leatherman Wave with some differences. It seems an exact copy of the aforementioned MT tool wise except it has slots instead of thumb studs for one-handed opening.

It was spring cleaning and house maintenance time these last two weekends so I got the chance to test it on an old rocking swing we have outside. It’s at least twenty years old. It’s been holding well all this time but despite the heavy marine-purpose paint coating on it rust has formed on some places. So I had to take it apart to see if it is worth working on it. Turns out it is.

The no-name MT performed well and did almost everything I needed done. It removed most screws, both Philips and slotted ones and turned the nuts on those that wouldn’t move otherwise. It was easier that I thought but still it required some torque.

I was impressed but there are some points I really didn’t like.

At one point I opened the pliers and somehow the serrated blade clumped on them and got deployed. It would have been nasty weren’t I looking at that moment. This happened before I tested the tool. This blade is still the stiffest of them all and not OHO despite this being its intended function so I wonder how this could happen. It was probably due to the fact I need to try hard to unfold the pliers as they are quite stiff and gritty at that stage so I must have moved their end enough for them to catch on the blade. Once open they move freely.

The pliers head seems well made and performs well. I don’t know if using the pliers caused this, however, once I was done the fasteners on the bottom of the handle containing the scissors and flat SD’s got deformed towards the outside. Now when I deploy the big flat SD the rest of the implements fall out in a jolly carefree manner. I can’t take detailed pics of that handle at the moment, there’s not much damage to be seen but it is obvious compared to its counterpart on the other handle.

Then, the metal file. As soon as I applied some force it bent towards me. It didn’t actually bent but the Allen-type screw holding it went loose. I tightened it with my hand and it’s been OK since then. By OK I mean it would stay in place and easily strip paint and dig a little to reveal the metal’s colour underneath the rust but that’s all it can do. The metal saw on it would barely scratch some relatively soft plastic I tried it on.

Also, rust. As soon as I got it the tool started developing surface rust on places I cannot touch, such as the handles’ interior were tools rest. The locks on the exterior blades are now spotty in a fishy way as well. There’s not that much humidity here nor is the tool stored in a dump place. No rust on the implements so far.   

The big flat SD should be bigger. Philips SD is OK I think, it will fit a wide range of screws.

The wood saw works well though I suspect it will overheat easily and clog if used thourougly.

The scissors, you don’t want to know about. Let’s say they won’t cut and their spring works only if it feels like it.

The plain edge blade works OK, its edge could be ground much better. I should think that the alloy used for the cutting-piercing implements isn’t the best possible. The chisel grind serrated blade’s best part is the non serrated tip for me. These teeth just bite in and won’t move requiring me to push frantically if work is to be done on rope or wood. That’s not my cup of tea. The awl is useful but stubby and though it’s sharp it isn’t very good at carving some soft, dried berry-tree wood when it should.

In conclusion, I like the concept on the tool, that’s why I got it in the first place. However it is a little rough for my liking and it reinforced my belief that these tools should be better pinned. I think I’ll see if I can take it apart and add the plain edge to my survival kit to use as a spear point if I ever needed one.
No name knock-off 2.JPG
* No name knock-off 2.JPG (Filesize: 152.04 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Cheap No-Name Plier Based MT Review
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:20:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences.  Seems like in this instance, as with most cheap knock-offs, something(s) get lost in the copying process. 

Are there ANY cheap knock-off MTs that are actually better than the original ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline twbranch

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28:38 PM
I work with a guy that has a Craftsman MT that seems to be a knockoff of a Gerber that I use occasionally when mine isn't handy. I like it but the tools seem a little loose.

Offline ozarkcajun

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 01:56:06 AM
I have one of these "wave clones". All in all, not a bad tool, However, the studs on the knife blades stick out too much and hang when you are putting the MT, in,  or out of a sheath. There is a lot of tool clumping, but sometimes that helps to get some of them out...lol. Handles feel good and the pliers and cutters seem to do well for light work. When you consider you are talking about a $10 clone from Ebay, instead of the real, $60 plus tool from Leatherman, they are not that bad. Score 1/2 for the clones!!!.... :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:09:38 AM
Thanks for the write-up firiki. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:48:41 PM
Thanks for the write-up firiki. :tu:
It's been a pleasure. I like this community. Wish I had done a better job on text and pictures but practise makes better :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD