Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Challenges, and the stupidity that drives them

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Challenges, and the stupidity that drives them
on: April 16, 2008, 09:52:37 PM
Today started off simple enough- the weather was nice and I am off (until tonight) so I decided it was time to unwrap the 'yak, clean it up and get it ready to go again this year.  I planned on a few hours' worth of work- after all, it's been sitting outdoors all winter, it needs to be washed, cleaned out, get the seat fixed (which I meant to do last year but never did), have a look at the rudder to see if it can be rebuilt or whether it needs to be replaced... you know, the usual stuff.

The weather, at about 8C and sunny was just about perfect for getting out and letting any water dry in the sun, so I hauled it out, cut the plastic wrap off it, pulled the tarp off etc.  Well, the rope on the seat was rotted as I expected it to be- it was rotted last year when it went away, and I didn't think it would have gotten any better by now, so off to the local hardware store to replace it.  Of course some twit forgot to take the old rope with him and had to "eyeball" a replacement, which resulted in getting rope about twice the thickness needed, and therefore wouldn't fit through the holes.  No problem, right?  Make the holes bigger.  No big deal.  At least not until I get inside and find that both batteries fro my cordless drill are dead.  No problem, I'll bring out the Dremel tool.  The extension cord isn't long enough for the Dremel...

Long story short, the Crunch, Guppy and Skeletool all got good workouts today as I disassembled the rudder, took part of the seat apart, ran some new line, drilled holes by hand in seat brackets... It wasn't ideal, but it all worked out, and in less time than I'd planned, and therein lay the problem.

One quick glance at the lake and I couldn't keep myself on dry land, and the next thing I know, I'm digging out and packing up all the equipment I need to head out.  "I'm just going across the lake my house is on" I keep telling myself, knowing full well I'm lying through my teeth.  I know I should take it easy since this is my first time out since September or so... but sense is a four letter word around me some days and today is no exception.  I try to do a text book drop in from the dock once the boat is in the water, but I think that text was written before they invented gravity.  Just trying to get the boat to the dock is a challenge as the kayak tries to float away and I have to jump into (near) icy water up to my knees to catch it and drag it back.  Then, for good measure once I've got everything "set up nicely" I drop in and almost flip it, causing the cockpit to fill with water just as I firmly plant my arse into the cold water not pooling in the seat.

No problem, the worst is over right?  A few sponge fulls of water over the side and away we go!  Dang that water is cold.  It's also not nearly as calm as it was when I was working on the boat, but still nothing to concern myself, right?  After all, I'm staying on this lake and not venturing onto the bigger, more open, and choppier lake today.  That's too much for a first time out.  I have to work tonight, so I need to start slow.  Right.  And I can also fly this boat to the moon....

Once I get to the big lake I realize just how pointless it was to strap my soaked sneakers to the fore deck to dry in the sun while I paddle.  Pointless because the swells and waves on the big lake are washing over the top of the boat.  I knew this was going to happen, and what's worse, I am traveling pretty good because the wind is at my back.  Normally that's ok, but this means I am going to have to cross two lakes, into the wind, and against the swells and waves on the way back.  But, do I have the sense to turn around?  Heck no, I'm having too much fun, thinking about how badly I missed this, and communing with nature, and being one with the water and all that other bull spit.  A glance at my GPS shows I'm cruising at about 8.5-9 km/h, which was what I was doing at my prime last summer.  A swelling of pride in the fact that maybe I'm not in as bad a shape as I thought goes through me, even though deep down inside I know it's the wind, I'm probably in worse shape and I'm full of the brown smelly stuff.  Still, I get off the lake and cruise down through the canal at the other end to the locks and can't help but think that all's right with the world, and now that I've gone as far as I can go and have to turn around, I am screwed beyond measure.

Well, I was paddling for all I was worth on the way home, and managed about 4km/hr, my stomach was so tense I felt like throwing up everything I'd eaten in the last six weeks, the wind was merciless, and the waves ran over my boat like a pressure washer.  That bit about all being right with the world?  Utter rubbish.  Communing with Mother Nature?  She wants a divorce.  Being at one with the water?  I'm sure my corpse will seem that way when they finally dredge me up.  And the worst part of it all is that the sun is still shining down, all smug, as if heavenly bodies could say "I told you so."

So now I'm home, I'll be going to pick up the wife from work shortly, then off to bed for a bit before working tonight, and I'm sure by then I'll never, ever want to see that damned boat again.  At least not until tomorrow morning when I get the urge to do it again....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Challenges, and the stupidity that drives them
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:00:00 PM
Sounds like you had a fun day!! I've been in the "oh i'll go a little further it won't be that hard getting back" position before, it's great isn't it ::)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:16 PM
LOL! good story and I'm sure it was worth it, if only for the exercise and too say you did it finally.
question, could you get nylon rope instead of regular rope that seems to disintegrate every year?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:44:07 AM
As I understand it, the boat was built in '02, and that was probably the original rope.  I just need to find a better way to store it.  Plus it was in sad shape when I got it and I've been slowly rebuilding it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Biru

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 02:00:12 AM
I'm tempted to recall Nietzsche- it didn't kill you, therefore it made you stronger by your wisdom of the consequences of your actions... :o Think of your experience as one of those Robert E. Howard " strength forged in the fire " moments.

Man that's deep! :o I think you could probably apply Fred's writings to practically anything. " Yes, you burnt those brownies-but you're wiser for your loss. "   :think:

Glad you came through it. For some reason, logic and forethought always fail me around deep water.

Best Wishes, Bill.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 03:08:48 AM
My mother spends the summer at the lake. She does a lot of kayaking. She's got a rule that could apply here.

Bob's Mom's Kayaking rule #1: Never Ever Leave The Dock With A Strong Wind At Your Back. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:52:37 AM
''Communing with Mother Nature?  She wants a divorce'' Like it mate :D

Glad you've got the kayak out again mate, the outdoor forum's been quiet since you last used it :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 02:29:40 PM
I had a good ind at my back when I left the dock- that was the problem!  That helpful wind gets ugly when you disagree with it about coming home...

I'm actually not as bad as I expected this morning, so I am thinking seriously about taking it out again shortly.  I'll also have the video camera along, so maybe a YouTube vid too!

def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 06:07:42 AM
What's life without a challenge? Safe and boring....but having said that,the closest open water to me fit for kayaking,or canoeing,is the Ohio River,and I'll stay safe and boring rather than try contending with the barge traffic.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 08:36:16 AM
Well I was out again and it wasn't nearly as exciting.  I did get a nice sunburn though, which I guarantee won't be the last of the season!

I think I've figured it out- from now on, I'm taking my video camera with me, mounted to the front of my boat, because then nothing exciting can happen!

Def

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 10:57:05 AM
Or you get to record you own horrible death :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 03:40:19 PM
Now that would be YouTube worthy! :D

Def

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:10:16 PM

Def
Damn straight, but who'd post it :think: :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 04:36:19 PM

Def
Damn straight, but who'd post it :think: :D

Whoever managed to get their hands on the camera in the free for all, that everyone on here and sosak would be involved in at his house :D :D
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 06:41:54 PM
Sounds like thats how it'd work out :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 07:39:29 PM
I thought seriously about naming a beneficiary of my SAK and multitool collection, but then thought that might dramatically shorten my lifespan...  :think:

Def

Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 07:43:12 PM
I thought seriously about naming a beneficiary of my SAK and multitool collection, but then thought that might dramatically shorten my lifespan...  :think:

Def
Thats a safe bet >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 08:02:40 PM
One of you (or SOSAK) will likely be my beneficiary if I die from natural causes.  If my death is suspicious, it will go to another beneficiary... that's about the only way I can be certain to live out my natural life as no one will risk possibly having been the one to get it, but then getting greedy and being passed over! :P

Def

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 10:49:09 PM
One of you (or SOSAK) will likely be my beneficiary if I die from natural causes.  If my death is suspicious, it will go to another beneficiary... that's about the only way I can be certain to live out my natural life as no one will risk possibly having been the one to get it, but then getting greedy and being passed over! :P

Def
Thats assuming we don't all hatch a cunning plan between us >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56