Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is It Possible To Mod The Leatherman OHT To These Specifications?

Guest · 5 · 8055

bmstrong

I work in and around water, dirt, mud and grime all day long. I also have a thing for 6/4 Titanium. I've been fascinated with the OHT since it was released. Once you go spring action it's hard to go back to a standard MT. Going one handed it's even harder. Unfortunately,
 Leatherman seems to have gimped the tool selection and sacrificed on quality. I come from Bladeforums/USN and usually collect customs so high end cost and materials are the norm. Is it possible to take a stock OHT:

Remove handle slabs or scales (4) and replace with stonewashed or bead blasted 6/4 Titanium replacements.

Remove 154CM Replaceable Wire Cutters inserts and replace with S35VN.

Determine the exact size and thread of the main screws and replace with 6/4 Titanium screws.

Determine the exact size of the stainless steel pivot and replace with 6/4 Titanium.

Replace 420HC Knife with S35VN. (Wharnie.)

420HC Serrated Knife, Strap Cutter, Can Opener, Bottle Opener, Oxygen Tank Wrench are all expendable. I'd really like a Bit Driver and a Scissors instead.

Additional: 6/4 Titanium take down tool for field stripping and repair is a bonus.

Thoughts?

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Re: Is It Possible To Mod The Leatherman OHT To These Specifications?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:02:58 PM
First!

Welcome to the forum bmstrong! Take some time to introduce yourself in the general category!

Now...to business. Having taking apart and examined the OHT here are MY conclusions on your questions. (YMMV)

1. The handles/scales/frame are all one piece. It's a complicated folded steel design that has a riveted pivot like the Gerber MP design. So, no, you won't be able to replace anything unless you APPLY scales to it.

2. The 154cm wirecutters are TOP notch, no need to replace them with a higher end steel, also designing and machining such parts is a little cost prohibitive. The 154cm cutters on my MUTs, ST300 and Rebars have not even shown signs of rolling and edge, or even denting.

3. Again, the pivots are fine. They seem to be the standard 3/16 size pin with, I THINK, a 6-32 thread. The other tool pivots are new, they have bushings that let the tool ride against it.

4. If you mean the main plier pivot, it is made like the other cast LM pliers. The pivot is peened and mushroomed in place, then the remaining material CNC'd off with a robot arm against a grinder. Not really replaceable.

5. The blade sounds promising thing special, just a blade shape and a liner lock. This is fesiable is you are good at bladecraft. Keep in mind that both models have BO on them, so to keep it looking stock, you'll have to BO or Cerakote the new blade. Also, the blade is fairly short, only a 2" cutting edge and 2.5" from pivot to tip.

6. All the outside tools can be replaced if, again, are good at crafting tools from scratch. Scissors might be tricky as the blades are 2.5", BUT if you remove one of the drivers than a 3.5" implement (like scissors) would be possible. The slots are 1/8" in thickness, so Vic, Gerber Flick, Surge, Wingman scissors would fit after removing the corresponding smaller tool.

That should be a pretty comprehensive option list :)

I haven't quite taken on the project of doing any work on an OHT yet, the closest I got was taking it apart, examining potential and shelving it in my mind for later.

Hack on my friend!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

Offline maiochine

• New User
Hi guys

I use to have the Leatherman Surge but unfortunately the pliers snapped off and I had to replace it with the OHT.

I would like to modify my OHT so it can have the Surge scissors, is this possible ?

Where can I buy the replacement scissors of a Leatherman Surge ?

Thank you

us Offline Delta10

Not sure if this should be moved to its own thread or not, but maiochine, have you looked into sending your Surge in for warranty repair? I don't think they sell replacement scissors anywhere, but they should be able to slap a new pair if you send it in.

Offline maiochine

• New User
Not sure if this should be moved to its own thread or not, but maiochine, have you looked into sending your Surge in for warranty repair? I don't think they sell replacement scissors anywhere, but they should be able to slap a new pair if you send it in.

I have sent it and a had the OHT in replacement for a few 20 euros more...

I would like to buy the scissors replacement to mod my OHT that's the idea and I hope it is possible.

Thanks again

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD