Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods 2718

No Life Club Posts: 3,298
Re: ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2019, 04:51:09 PM »
This is awesone work Zap  :like: :like:

Could I perhaps ask you to consider adding the LM 2D bit slot all the same? Or maybe an alternate model that has this instead of the transversal 4mm hex? I for one have the LM bits, and they make for a reasonably compact carry in the bit card. I'm sure I'm not the only potential buyer that could benefit.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 54,096
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2019, 05:08:46 PM »
 :iagree: about the bits :cheers: also that is some great results in the testing as well :salute: :like:
Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 48,467
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2019, 06:06:40 PM »
Excellent testing looks like it can handle some torque  :like: :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
Jr. Member Posts: 52
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2019, 07:56:48 PM »
Could I perhaps ask you to consider adding the LM 2D bit slot all the same? Or maybe an alternate model that has this instead of the transversal 4mm hex?

It would need to be an alternate model. I tried a few things today in CAD, but it works out to be too thin in critical places if I try to mix both together. I also realized I don't need a mixed horizontal opening, as the 1/4" wrench works well on the flat bits.

I did update the magnet stop to be smaller, this is live on the shop now. I have another batch of things to order, so I will get a new build, this time in a different finish. (The 24K gold plating is pretty, but it flakes off too easy for a tool)
No Life Club Posts: 3,298
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »
It would need to be an alternate model. I tried a few things today in CAD, but it works out to be too thin in critical places if I try to mix both together. I also realized I don't need a mixed horizontal opening, as the 1/4" wrench works well on the flat bits.

I did update the magnet stop to be smaller, this is live on the shop now. I have another batch of things to order, so I will get a new build, this time in a different finish. (The 24K gold plating is pretty, but it flakes off too easy for a tool)

If that's the case, then so much the better. Looking forward to v1.0  :drool: :like:

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Sr. Member Posts: 498
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2019, 12:57:40 AM »
Truly incredible work. For this item alone I am considering buying the P4. Personally I would replace the mediocre tools rather than the awesome flat driver and Philips. Other than that though I would LOVE the heck out of that thing. I use 4mm bits all the time.

Cheers,
H.G.
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2019, 06:23:45 PM »
I should receive my bronze Rev 2 model in the mail in the next few days. I will post images for those interested in that finish.  If I didn't already mention it, the gold plating flakes off in areas of contact.

Just dropping this here for anyone interested: A person on Reddit asked if they could re-arrange the stack up to ditch the Philips, ruler and can opener. But keep the package opener. Yes it is possible, and doesn't require any extra parts. Just double stack on of the existing washers. You can alternatively keep the Philips instead.

And here is a dimension ed image showing the stack up for anyone who wants to swap stuff around. As long as your left/right stacks add up to 0.52 inches you can do whatever you want.
Sr. Member Posts: 498
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2019, 12:23:02 AM »
I should receive my bronze Rev 2 model in the mail in the next few days. I will post images for those interested in that finish.  If I didn't already mention it, the gold plating flakes off in areas of contact.

(Image removed from quote.)

Just dropping this here for anyone interested: A person on Reddit asked if they could re-arrange the stack up to ditch the Philips, ruler and can opener. But keep the package opener. Yes it is possible, and doesn't require any extra parts. Just double stack on of the existing washers. You can alternatively keep the Philips instead.

(Image removed from quote.)

And here is a dimension ed image showing the stack up for anyone who wants to swap stuff around. As long as your left/right stacks add up to 0.52 inches you can do whatever you want.

Man, I wish you were in Philly. So many ideas to explore with your skill set, amazing job. This looks awesome! I also think that tool arrangement makes a ton of sense. It would be a shame to lose an awl, file, or the prybar/box cutter.
No Life Club Posts: 1,181
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2019, 02:02:29 AM »
Amazing job ZW!  :like:

Hey LM, see what you can do with the p series  :pok: That’s what we want, darn it  :twak:

Now even I consider buying a P4...once the price drops  :D
« Reply #99 on: Today at 05:58:01 AM »

The bronze steel part arrived. This is Rev 2 (And the version anyone who ordered is getting). This one requires less reaming out, and no hammering like you see in the video. The magnets also has a closer to the bit for a better hold on the bit.
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 54,096
« Reply #100 on: Today at 11:56:24 AM »
Looks excellent :like: Great work Zap :cheers: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $231.00
PayPal Fees: $15.15