Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Micra vs. Vic Executive

Poll

Which do you prefer for keychain and/or light pocket carry?

Leatherman Micra
11 (37.9%)
Victorinox Executive
10 (34.5%)
Other
8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: LM Micra vs. Vic Executive
Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 09:05:02 PM
I find the precision of the Victorinox scissors so much better than Leatherman scissors (for my uses), that I would chose the Executive over the Micra.  I understand the usefulness of the heavier duty Micra scissors, but I'm a big fan of the Victorinox's precision.

Same for me :tu:.  The Micra's scissors are good for certain tasks and the Executive's are more suited to certain tasks.  The difference for me is that the typical stuff I need scissors for is more suited for the Executive's scissors.  Like you said, there is more precision to them as I feel like I have more control with them as opposed to the Micra. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline RoboYeti

Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:18 PM
Both tools qualify as classics. The designs are older, but that gives them the advantage of being time tested.

The Executive is a very knife heavy tool, with three blades (if you count the orange peeler). I would think a more modern design would incorporate a Phillips driver or bottle opener. I am paranoid that I will be using the orange peeler/screwdriver and it will close up on me. Putting a blade on the end of a folding screwdriver does not seem like a good idea to me, even if the tip is very well done and fits many different size screws. On the plus side, it has my favorite nail file of any pocket tool (my wife is a nail file expert, and it has her seal of approval). The main blade is also very solid. It's my favorite blade among tools 74mm and smaller.

The Micra has its quirks too, with its inside opening tools making it inconvenient to use. I also find the permanently attached tweezers to be a little silly, as it wastes a lot of space and the tweezers are difficult to use precisely with the weight of the tool behind them. Again, on the plus side, the screwdrivers are excellent and I believe that for its size, it may be one of the more durable tools out there.

I agree with what's being said about the scissors on each tool. I have cut zip ties with my Executive, but if I had to cut them all day, I would prefer the Micra. The Executive is much better for paper though. It's precise scissors and excellent main blade make it win out over the Micra for me, but it is a close contest for sure.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 07:36:53 AM
Both tools qualify as classics. The designs are older, but that gives them the advantage of being time tested.

The Executive is a very knife heavy tool, with three blades (if you count the orange peeler). I would think a more modern design would incorporate a Phillips driver or bottle opener. I am paranoid that I will be using the orange peeler/screwdriver and it will close up on me. Putting a blade on the end of a folding screwdriver does not seem like a good idea to me, even if the tip is very well done and fits many different size screws. On the plus side, it has my favorite nail file of any pocket tool (my wife is a nail file expert, and it has her seal of approval). The main blade is also very solid. It's my favorite blade among tools 74mm and smaller.

The Micra has its quirks too, with its inside opening tools making it inconvenient to use. I also find the permanently attached tweezers to be a little silly, as it wastes a lot of space and the tweezers are difficult to use precisely with the weight of the tool behind them. Again, on the plus side, the screwdrivers are excellent and I believe that for its size, it may be one of the more durable tools out there.

I agree with what's being said about the scissors on each tool. I have cut zip ties with my Executive, but if I had to cut them all day, I would prefer the Micra. The Executive is much better for paper though. It's precise scissors and excellent main blade make it win out over the Micra for me, but it is a close contest for sure.

I agree about the Executive being knife heavy.  I wouldn't mind a different tool in place of the small blade, but I can't think of what could fit there.  Yes, it is a very close contest, and the voting so far proves that.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

K-Tibbs

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 10:58:20 AM
I had some similar decisions to make over a year ago, regarding one of my keychains.
I was considering the Micra the Minichamp and the Manager lite.
Here are my thoughts: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,33959.0.html

I have had, for the past year, the standard Manager on my car keychain and I have not missed the Micra.
The main tools I use are the scissors and the pen. I have used the tweezers, the knife and the bottle openner too at least once during the past few days.

I carry a torch on my keychain and a separate knife in my pockets anyway and tend to be surrounded by tools/multitools/knives etc. most of the time.

I also carry the Micra and the Dime on other car keychains.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 05:20:05 PM
I had some similar decisions to make over a year ago, regarding one of my keychains.
I was considering the Micra the Minichamp and the Manager lite.
Here are my thoughts: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,33959.0.html

I have had, for the past year, the standard Manager on my car keychain and I have not missed the Micra.
The main tools I use are the scissors and the pen. I have used the tweezers, the knife and the bottle openner too at least once during the past few days.

I carry a torch on my keychain and a separate knife in my pockets anyway and tend to be surrounded by tools/multitools/knives etc. most of the time.

I also carry the Micra and the Dime on other car keychains.

Thanks for the link to your thread.  Excellent comparison and a good read :salute:  This is the type of thing I analyze in my head regularly.  I have really considered a Manager/Midnight Manager for my keychain, but just have not gotten one yet.  As someone said in your comparison, the Micra is more like a cross between a personal grooming kit and a tool kit, which is nice.  What sets it apart are the two dedicated drivers as they are solid and make it more tool-like.  I think that as an overall package and standalone tool, the Micra probably has the slight edge.  However, for my intended uses from a tool this size, the Executive has the edge.  I don't need the Micra's drivers as I have a full size MT on me most times as well, or the Pioneer.  As I stated earlier, if I could only carry one item and could only choose between the two, the Micra would be the one I'd choose, but as a compliment to my EDC lineup, the Executive is probably best.  I say probably because I know that the more I analyze this, the more I'll flip-flop between them ;)

As for the pen carrying option some were discussing, I carry a tac-pen most times, so I have a pen covered.  I still like the idea of a pen in a SAK though, and think it would be handy to have on the keychain. 

K-Tibbs

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 07:07:47 PM
They are all good. LM and Victorinox make good products.
As a sidenote the victorinox should be more rust resistant.

It also depends on how much weight you are carrying and how much more you are wiling to carry.
I try to carry as little as possible.

Ideally you should get all and carry each one for e.g. a month so that you decide which one you like.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 08:55:59 PM
They are all good. LM and Victorinox make good products.
As a sidenote the victorinox should be more rust resistant.

It also depends on how much weight you are carrying and how much more you are wiling to carry.
I try to carry as little as possible.

Ideally you should get all and carry each one for e.g. a month so that you decide which one you like.

Yes they do.  Any of these smaller keychain type tools are fairly inconsequential when considering my normal EDC lineup, so their weight isn't as much of a factor.  I had been carrying the Micra for at least a month or so, and it served me well.  It just seemed like more than what I needed for my intended uses.  The Executive is a little slimmer and lighter and has the better tools out of the ones I want.  There not as much extra with the Executive, except for the knives.  However, I will say the Micra is more fun to tinker around with, which is also a slight factor for me ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 10:04:32 PM
So it looks like the Executive is the winner, at least so far.  Very close really, and I didn't vote because I prefer both depending on the circumstances.  Thanks to all who fed my need to analyze this :salute: :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 07:58:31 PM
So it looks like the Executive is the winner, at least so far.  Very close really, and I didn't vote because I prefer both depending on the circumstances.  Thanks to all who fed my need to analyze this :salute: :D
My take on the Exec is that it's just that, a great little tool for the kinds of things you run across on a day to day basis if you're a desk-jockey, like I am.  The nail file, orange peeler/clamshell opener, and scissors are all great little tools for office types.  The large blade works very well for apple dissection too, as I much prefer to cut my apples up before I eat them, rather than eat them on the core.

For "real" work, I suppose a Micra might be better, though, but I can't see how the integrated tweezers really might work all that well. 

(I've moved my Exec into an old Western Digital 2.5" portable hard disk case, along with a pair of nail clippers, and some other small personal toiletries, like a tube of Carmex, allergy meds, pain meds, antacids, band-aids, an eyeglass cloth and cleaner, and some eye-drops.  It's a perfect little SAK for such a kit.  Since I wear glasses, and also have seasonal allergies, it's a perfect little kit that I can throw in any bag and always have with me when I need it.)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 08:17:41 PM
My take on the Exec is that it's just that, a great little tool for the kinds of things you run across on a day to day basis if you're a desk-jockey, like I am.  The nail file, orange peeler/clamshell opener, and scissors are all great little tools for office types.  The large blade works very well for apple dissection too, as I much prefer to cut my apples up before I eat them, rather than eat them on the core.

For "real" work, I suppose a Micra might be better, though, but I can't see how the integrated tweezers really might work all that well. 

(I've moved my Exec into an old Western Digital 2.5" portable hard disk case, along with a pair of nail clippers, and some other small personal toiletries, like a tube of Carmex, allergy meds, pain meds, antacids, band-aids, an eyeglass cloth and cleaner, and some eye-drops.  It's a perfect little SAK for such a kit.  Since I wear glasses, and also have seasonal allergies, it's a perfect little kit that I can throw in any bag and always have with me when I need it.)

Right, the Executive is great for the office types like some of us are here.  I like using the small blade as a letter opener, but either blade works well for that.  I don't typically have fruit on hand at work, but I think maybe I should as it's healthier and gives me another reason to pull out one of my SAKs ;)

I agree about the Micra's tweezer, and that's why I altered it into a pointy needley device.  It would be more useful that way I think.  The SAK tweezers are much better.  That is a great little kit you have going there :salute:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD