Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gumtree UK: cheque payment

england Offline hennypenny

Gumtree UK: cheque payment
on: May 25, 2013, 02:01:09 PM
This post is for some advice regarding selling on Gumtree in the UK. I've just had a phone call from someone claiming to be a London taxi driver who doesn't know what paypal is and wishes to buy my Leatherman at the asking price, and wants my name and full address to send the cheque. I was a little suspicious at first, for several reasons. How can someone not know what paypal is? Why is he prepared to risk sending the cheque without a guarantee that I will send him the tool?
He was very convincing and I was glad to sell the tool for the asking price, so I relented and gave him my full name and address. Have I just opened myself to some scam?

This is what Gumtree says regarding cheque payment......

Gumtree Cheque overpayment.
A buyer, prospective tenant or even an employer will send you a cheque worth more than the value of the items/rent/job. They’ll then ask for the surplus money to be returned to them or a third party, for example ‘to pay for shipping’. The cheque will clear into your bank account, only to be refused weeks later. At this point, the bank/building society will take the full cheque amount back out of your account. This would then leave you out of pocket for the amount on the cheque and the amount you passed on as the difference.

......still not sure how a cheque once cleared (usually 3-5 days) can then be refused weeks later.

Please can someone reassure me before I cash his cheque (if he actually sends it) and send him the tool.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:02:46 PM by hennypenny »

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Re: Gumtree UK: cheque payment
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:14:42 PM
Have them write the cheque out to "cash" and take it to your bank and take the money immediately. They can't get the cash back once it's in your hand ;)
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:23:40 PM
Have them write the cheque out to "cash" and take it to your bank and take the money immediately. They can't get the cash back once it's in your hand ;)
That is such a good idea. Unfortunately, I've already given him my full name. Have I left myself vulnerable by giving him my name and address? Surely, they can't do much with just a name and address...can they?????

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:26:24 PM
+1

Very good advice there. :salute:

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:50:12 PM
That is such a good idea. Unfortunately, I've already given him my full name. Have I left myself vulnerable by giving him my name and address? Surely, they can't do much with just a name and address...can they?????

Probably not. I could probably look up your name and address if I felt like it - that's not critical information.

Just tell him to make the cheque out to "Cash", and that you'll post it once the money is in your hand.

If they don't want to play ball, don't post the item. If they accuse you of trying to scam them, say you've already given your details as an act of good faith, and they need to show you the same.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:51:43 PM by mvyrmnd »
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 04:06:43 PM
Do it like they did on eBay back in the day.Once the check has cleared,post your LM to him.

Simples
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:37:15 PM
It might be legitimate in that he might simply not usually do much with the 'net.  It's hard for some of us to believe, but there are still large sections of the population that are not online.

However, like anything else it could easily be a scam, and you have every right to protect yourself.  There should be some kind of money order available either from the Post Office or a major financial institution that he can purchase and send along.  It is as good as cash, and as safe as a cheque- basically he has given the institution the money and they have written you a cheque, and it has your name on it so that it can't be intercepted and stolen like cash.

When dealing with individuals indirectly that you don't know, this is often the best way to ensure the safety of both parties as he can email, text or call you with the details of the money order, which you can confirm on your end and mail the package out, meaning you should both get some kind of satisfaction within a day or so of each other.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline Syndicate

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 05:00:04 PM
Just tell him to make a payment through Western Union :pok: :twak:

What normally happens is they cancel the cheque as soon as the items been posted.

However him being a cab driver, surely he should be able to meet you in an area of your choice and just pay you in cash.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 05:04:37 PM
Ya Id be leery about a cheque too.  Ive only taken PP, money order, or one time a money gram which worked ok.  If they do want to send a cheque for more money than the item is selling for, that is a classic scam and happens alot still.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 06:01:56 PM
Do it like they did on eBay back in the day.Once the check has cleared,post your LM to him.

Simples
Apparently even if the money appears in your account after 3 days of cashing in the cheque, it may still be reversed by the buyer for up to 4 weeks, by which time the item would have been posted. I'll update the forum when it is all settled.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 06:07:48 PM
What LM are you selling?

Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 11:13:07 PM
Surge, Charge TTi (2013), Juice S2, Original Wave, MiniTool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00