Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weird and Wacky MTs.

Chako · 16 · 6350

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Weird and Wacky MTs.
on: May 09, 2013, 01:29:39 AM
I received 2 big packages from Deal Extreme. I can thank Gareth for this latest batch of ordering. He made a thread in this forum regarding a removable hatchet tool. That led me to Deals Extreme, and this eventual order. I cannot resist stupid, weird, and wacky MTs.

So I lugged these heavy packages into my living room, gleefully opening them up to find what lurked inside. Whilst doing this, I threw the packaging on the floor to Gracy's delight.

I ordered another one of these simply because it was so cheap.

The next tool is Gareth's special. It comes in a nice sheath that opens up via Velcro.

Opening up the sheath, you see separate compartments for each handle and head.

Opening this up a little further, we can now see the handles, the head, and a few driver bits added for good measure.

Now, when I first saw this thing from a link that Gareth posted, I had assumed your could attach the handles to both sides, thereby flipping the head for function. I was wrong. You can only slot the handles into the head  a single way. The handles slot right in, and I must admit, it is a secure enough mechanism.

Once the handles are attached, and you squeeze the handles, you can swing this all day and it shouldn't come out. I tried it several times...admittedly away from expensive furniture and cats.

I found it weird that the lower plier jaws are meant to be used where they are found, below the pivot point. Not to mention that the tips of the south pliers show lack of quality as one is longer than the other. You can see where someone ground one side more than the other.

Other than that little bit of defect, everything is surprisingly flat, flush, and well made. The rubber grips on the removable handles are effective.

The hatchet is a bit of a lark though. The claw end has a built in nail remover...odd considering you wouldn't be axing nails with the other end.

Overall, a weird tool with lots of quirks. The handle mechanism is very effective and should prevent too many fatal accidents. These little camp hatchets never fail to but a smile on my face. I smile because of the absurdity of such tools.

The sheath on this next tool is super cheap and thin.

This one has a trick however, on the back, there is a secret pouch where the driver bits hide.

This tool is massive and heavy. Strangely well made for the price.

An adjustable wrench places this tool decidedly on the weird side of the MT world. That is of course above the hammer option. Does this make it twice as weird?

This tool also features those neat folding pliers, and the standard cheap multi-tool shaped tools.

This next tool is interesting. The sheath has two sections.

Hmmm...this is interesting indeed.

Wow...look at that pedigree and beauty!

Notice the same type of folding tools. I gather most of these are made in the same factory in China...and or, this is the standard blueprint for cheap tools in  China. Either way, this one is special in all the extra functions they included in the main tool. You have a hammer, adjustable wrench, pliers, etc...

Ah and this is one trick pony. You can remove the hammer head and substitute it with a bit driver adapter.

Overall, this is a real beast of a tool. It is large, heavy, and very functional. I am a bit surprised at the quallity of these cheap tools. My only niggle with this one, the worm drive screw is a bit sloppy, meaning it can be pushed side to side...making its use a bit harder than it needed to be. You can't just thumb it on one side...but have to support the other side with a finger.

This next beautiful tool has wooden handles. Not only that, they are very well fit to the metal furnishings. Is surprises me at the attention to details in some of these cheap tools.

This one features a needle nose plier along with the hammer feature.

The pliers are surprisingly well made with no sloppiness in the plier joints, etc.

Overall, I like this tool a lot. I do have a weakness for wooden handled tools. This one is exquisitely made with a seamless joint between wood and metal. The shape is unusual as well. Not the most comfortable tool to EDC though.

This next tool is another wooden handled monstrosity.

Usual tool selection...but that wood does make a nice contrast with all that metal.

Once again, tight fit in the head department.

Overall, not as nice as the previous wooden handled MT in  fit and finish of the handles. On the other hand, This one would be better if I had to hold in while working outside in the winter.

The next tool is similar with a plastic handle.

Mostly the same tool with different looks. Personally, I like wooden handles.

Not much to say here.

Overall, the same as the above tool but with different handle options.

Here is my take on these tools. They are all dirt cheap and come from China.  However, these companies have definitely ramped up their quality control. Most of these tools come with the cheapest sheaths, however, some offer weird and useful tool options. Overall, quality is not bad when it comes to handles, and head/hatchet/hammer/plier head. Where all of these tools do fail, are its folding tools. They are decidedly on the cheap side of things. All tools do not lock, some are lose, most clump something fierce. The quality is questionable at best. With that said though, for light use, not bad. There exist a duality in quality here that appears to be incongruous to the overall build quality. You can't compare these to name brands...but then again, would you ever see something this off the wall from a name brand company?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:39:08 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Weird and Wacky MTs.
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:51 AM
Thank you for the wonderful display.  The thread title is spot-on, "Weird and Wacky" indeed !

I also have a soft spot for the weird, but in this case I think I might be able to summon up enough will(won't)power to resist (for the moment, anyway, but who knows what could happen one early morning when I'm feeling bored and adventurous)  :pok:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:48:04 AM
Cool weird tools! I think they're cool in a weird way but pliers in a hammer head can never really be properly functional.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:57:52 AM
Removable hammer head... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I can't breath  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fr Offline Griffe

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:20:14 AM

It looks like the locking notch on these tools was made for a proper locking system, not the actual (crappy) one on the tool.

scotland Offline xt60043f

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:34:40 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
It looks like the locking notch on these tools was made for a proper locking system, not the actual (crappy) one on the tool.

I agree, it looks exactly like the cut-out for a leatherman crunch style lock.
The Leatherman crunch.  One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass consumption. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 02:17:08 AM
My last package came in from the original order. So here are a few more interesting multi-tools.

Another of those flip style multi-tools. Most of these are a needle nose and blunt nose plier type. This one is a needle nose/side cutter.

Another hammer style multi-tool...this time out of steel.

Another similar tool...only with a weird 60/70s vibe.

This forth one is very different. It is a hatchet type multi-tool, however, the sheath and size of the hatchet is something I haven't seen as of yet.

In regards to the previous photos and questions on the locking mechanism...
If you look closely on the lid of that tool, you will see a plastic piece that goes into that channel, locking the tool...but only if you close that lid on it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 10:41:02 PM
I thought you ordered the Lunch Special #3 from DX!

Where's the wontons?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 10:49:24 PM
please don't take this the wrong way but what is your pet?
The only thing my narrow minded head can turn it in to is a rat  :twak:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 11:12:51 PM
You are 2/3rd correct. Not a rat...but a cat.  :D

Def, bags and boxes are a kitties best friend.  :rofl:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 05:27:27 PM
This is not worth a thread of it`s own and it sure is weird and whacky.

It was included in a lot of knives i got on eBay.

From the front (or is it the back?) It´s just another bad copy of teh Vic classic.

But turn it over and be surprised!

It´s the copy of a Midnite Manager! Only a little bit clumsier...

Ain´t got AG13s to test it. But i guess the output will be above Midnite Manager and below any real flashlight Lumen rating. :-)

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:42 AM
My last package came in from the original order. So here are a few more interesting multi-tools.

Another of those flip style multi-tools. Most of these are a needle nose and blunt nose plier type. This one is a needle nose/side cutter.

I happen to like that idea and i like cheap tools as a back up, were did you got it or how would someone search for it? How did you find the quality of that particular tool? cheap but usable or so cheap one would smash it on the wall before using something like that? :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:01:50 AM by RamoN »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:40 AM
I found it here...

http://dx.com/?tc=CAD&gclid=CK-N1I_tlrcCFcU7Mgod6DIAdw

Search under either Tools/Pliers, or Toys and Hobbies/Multitool section.

As for the quality...not the best, but it does work. My main issue, sand grit when I first got it. After a cleaning, much better.

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 03:43:48 AM
Thanks a lot, now thats a cheap multitool  :ahhh

Thanks for sharing, great site overall with some interesting things, plus they have free shipping to my country!!   :cheers:

Plan to buy a few things as soon as my credit card recovers from the abuse received last month  :tu:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:46:40 AM by RamoN »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 04:04:44 AM
Just don't expect much quality from what they have to offer. :salute:

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 05:20:52 PM
Just don't expect much quality from what they have to offer. :salute:

Thanks for the warning as long as its a good source for weird, wacky, cheap gear ill consider myself happy  :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:22:46 PM by RamoN »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD