Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacing Fasteners w/Torx or ??

Splat · 17 · 5291

us Offline Splat

Replacing Fasteners w/Torx or ??
on: December 08, 2006, 12:10:15 AM
The one thing I really dislike about my new LM Core (also my first multi) is the fasteners used on the tool. I would like to replace it/them with something else like a Torx or Allen type fastener. Anyone here attempted such a feat? Thanks.
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Replacing Fasteners w/Torx or ??
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:03:07 AM
Hmmm, I don't think you will ber able to replace them. The Core uses the old standard Leatherman knurled pivot pins. That fastener on one side of your tool is a small screw. on the other side, it is the head of a pin that all the blades pivot on.

Below is a close-up of a PST that I disassembled and posted about here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,430.0.html

* LM screws.jpg (Filesize: 42.26 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:08:30 AM
You may be able to find some pins that may suit your needs at a kit manufacturer site like www.knifekits.com, www.jantzsupply.com or www.texasknife.com.  Those places sell pivots, pins and screws for all kinds of knives.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:15:38 AM
great first you get us hooked on SAKs, then multitools then flashlights and now knife kits? I'm goinna stop talking to you now
Yabba dabba doo!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:18:14 AM
That's probably for the best since my next project involves cars...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:29:42 PM
Hmmm, I don't think you will ber able to replace them. The Core uses the old standard Leatherman knurled pivot pins. That fastener on one side of your tool is a small screw. on the other side, it is the head of a pin that all the blades pivot on.

Is that a Chicago binder? It should be replaceable with maybe a Phillips-headed barrel. I just searched www.mcmaster.com and found them. Enter 2936 into the search box and you'll go to the page, then scroll down. Maybe these will allow easier disassembling for cleaning, mods, etc.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 06:50:18 PM by Tony S. »
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 01:11:12 AM
Is that a Chicago binder? It should be replaceable with maybe a Phillips-headed barrel. I just searched www.mcmaster.com and found them. Enter 2936 into the search box and you'll go to the page, then scroll down. Maybe these will allow easier disassembling for cleaning, mods, etc.

Well, you are close, but not quite there yet. (and I must admit, I never heard the term "Chicago binding post" before) It appears to me as if the smallest barrel diameter with screwdriver heads is 1/4", while the Leatherman barrel diameter needs to be 3/16"

I do see 3/16" barrel diameters listed on the fasteners at the top of the page, but one end has no screwdriver slot. It would spin as you tried to tighten up the other side.

* hole size.jpg (Filesize: 49.96 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 06:44:07 AM
Couldn't you drill out the holes in the tools to 1/4" ?  I admit I'm not good at math... but wouldn't you just have to increase the size of the hole 1/16" ?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Splat

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 05:16:17 PM
Yes, you could do that but that would pro'lly void the warranty. I was looking around McMaster.com and found square-dirve 3/16" barrel screws. The head, however, is 5/32" in height which might protrude too much from the sides of the tool. I don't think you really need to tighten the fasteners on these tools too much so maybe grinding down the head a little might bring it to a workable height.
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 05:51:26 PM
I think the act of taking apart a Leatherman voids the warranty?

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 01:51:29 AM
You _can_ get a LM apart, but if you chew up the barrel fasteners they may suspect you opened it and void the warranty. That would be a major shafting from LM, IMO, and enough to make me sell the Core and go with a SOG S61.
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 02:26:51 AM
I don;t see that as a shafting.  They make a product and go to reasonable lengths to discourage folks from opening it up to see how it works.  For every one person that puts it back together again, there will be ten who can't, and expect the company to make good on it.

Willfully taking something apart can, and in this case is considered abuse of the tool.  It isn't designed to be taken apart, it's designed to do a job.

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 02:53:32 AM
I understand your point. I would think some owners-users of a LM multi would be the type to want to open the tool for cleaning, repair, etc. I can't see how it should void the warranty if the tool is reassembled correctly.
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 05:35:54 AM
if the tool is reassembled correctly.

You hit the nail right on the head there!  It is unfortunate, but many people (even tool carrying people!) wouldn't be able to do that if their life depended on it!  And Leatherman would probably hate to have to deal with a lawsuit resulting from a tool that "failed" after it was re-assembled improperly.  Even the implication of something like that would be noticeable in today's lawsuit happy, media friendly society!

Def

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 08:09:45 PM
if the tool is reassembled correctly.

You hit the nail right on the head there!  It is unfortunate, but many people (even tool carrying people!) wouldn't be able to do that if their life depended on it!  And Leatherman would probably hate to have to deal with a lawsuit resulting from a tool that "failed" after it was re-assembled improperly.  Even the implication of something like that would be noticeable in today's lawsuit happy, media friendly society!

Def

And to think what would happen if it was re-assembled outside of the USA...those Californian lawyers would have a field day

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 09:11:02 PM
In accordance with California law, I am no longer allowed to participate in this conversation....

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 03:23:42 AM
Take another look at those standard knurled pivot screws on your Leatherman tool. Remember, employees at the factory are assembling thousands of these screws each day. They must have some sort of a special driver bit with a spline that engages the knurl teeth.

Has anybody ever seen a splined driver bit like that?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%