Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Well, got my Wave this morning...

EM745 · 24 · 2929

spam Offline EM745

Well, got my Wave this morning...
on: April 22, 2008, 06:00:08 PM
Got it from EDC Depot, as per Defender's suggestion.  ;)

Just started playing around with it, AND comparing it to my Flik (obviously!).  :D

After I've spent enough time comparing both, I might post an "A vs. B" review (similar to what jzmtl did a short while back). Too early to do a detailed review now, but I will say this: from what I've seen so far, BOTH tools seem to have their fair share of advantages... and DISadvantages.  >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Well, got my Wave this morning...
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:05:48 PM
Good to hear you got it safe and sound! :D

Any initial thoughts on it you'd like to share? 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline EM745

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 06:39:37 PM
Good to hear you got it safe and sound! :D
Yeah... It was a "gift."  ;)  :D  :police:  >:D

I figure I saved around $35 over if I had bought it at Walmart.

Any initial thoughts on it you'd like to share? 

My thoughts so far, mostly vis-à-vis the Flik:

-The opening/closing of the tools seems "rougher" and "grainier" than on the Flik (maybe that'll loosen over time?)

-Saw blade is a lot thinner than the Flik's (and on mine, slightly warped).

-Those "dinky" scissors are actually better than I expected, BUT they do pose MUCH more of an injury hazard than the Flik's when opening and closing (a 6-year old could open/close the Flik's scissors without much risk of injury). The angle of the grind used on the blades is also sharper, increasing the probability of skin cuts.  :-\

-I can see where the "hand pinching" rants come from. Plier usage is definitely more hand-friendly on the Flik.

-Blades (smooth and serrated) are sharp on the Flik; they're VERY sharp on the Wave.

-Gotta love that file.  :D

-Pliers are longer & pointier (better reach) and open about 3/8" wider than the Flik's.

-The Wave's bypass cutter will likely be more effective than the Flik's anvil setup, which don't meet properly and have a tendancy to "chew" stranded wires.

-The Wave's locking mechanisms seem sturdier than Gerber's mechanism.

-Overall, opening the tools and pliers is easier on the Flik.

-The steel sheeting used on the Wave' handles is slightly thinner than on the Flik's.  :o

-The Flik's can/bottle "openers" are a joke compared to the Wave's.

-LM should chuck that flat driver in favor of an awl.  ::)

-Aside from the Flik's 4 plastic parts  >:(, both tools seem (SEEM!) quite comparable in terms of fit and finish, and materials quality.

-Styling-wise, they both look nice, but I think I prefer the Flik's angular and more futuristic look. If Luke Skywalker had a multitool, it'd look like the Flik.  :D

That's all I have for now. I'm sure there's other stuff I missed. Like I said, I'll probably write a more detailed comparo once I've become more familiar with both tools.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:45:04 PM by EM745 »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 06:43:07 PM

-LM should chuck that flat driver in favor of an awl.  ::)

That was a huge gripe of mine with the original Wave too.  :(
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:49:34 PM
Sounds like you've got a pretty good review going already mate, I'm sorry to hear the saw's warped though, are you gona send it in to leathemans to have it fixed?
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline EM745

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:50 PM
Sounds like you've got a pretty good review going already mate

Yeah, I think I might just "wing it" as I go along.  :)

Overall, I'd say the Wave wins out in terms of utility. I mean, it does have those small drivers, a file and a ruler (all of which are lacking on the Flik). Where the Wave falls short are its scissors and safety factor. Opening the scissors is a ho-hum affair with the Flik. With the Wave you have to pay close attention so as not to stab yourself. Same thing with the pliers... You'd have to pull a really bone-headed move in order to injure yourself with the Flik's pliers.

I'm sorry to hear the saw's warped though, are you gona send it in to leathemans to have it fixed?

It's not that bad, actually. Certainly not worth sending it to LM. But it IS something to take note of. The Flik's saw blade is almost twice as thick and straight as an arrow.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 07:11:17 PM
I think you'll find that a thinner saw cuts faster, so I prefer them thinner is possible.

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115&Itemid=35

SAK saws are usually the thinnest (except of course for the hacksaw) and generally cut the best, at least in my opinion.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:12:32 PM
You might find the saw straightens out after a bit off use if you can get it warm enough :)

Yeah the scissors on my Dads Wave are fairly marginal on the safety side :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 01:21:23 AM
The saw blade on my wave is a bit warped and rub handle when closing, but doesn't seem to hurt anything. It does cut better than flik's saw.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 01:27:03 AM
I have never heard of a LM saw warping. Well, besides the Juice tools..
B

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 06:44:33 AM
Sounds like you got a good deal on the Wave,will be looking forward to your review in the future,hope you have pictures also,for comparison.

spam Offline EM745

Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 06:50:41 PM
Hmmm... Have any of you ever had a multitool-related epiphany before? I think I had one last night.

Playing around with both tools, I realized how quickly the Flik loses its allure once you look past the novelty of the sliding pliers and its space-age looks.

If you discount the Wave's safety issues with the scissors, it is in pretty much every way a superior EDC tool. For instance, I was right about its bypass cutters. They handle solid AND stranded cable with no problem, quite unlike the Flik. Then there's the file, the can opener, the mini drivers (a real boon for eyeglass wearers), the ruler, the all-metal construction...

There's also the Wave's fabulous packaging efficiency. The Flik is about 0.4 inches longer and slightly thicker overall. And yet, the Wave is bigger once deployed, and all of its implements are larger. Granted, that's an unavoidable side-effect of the Flik's sliding pliers, but still... Those considering the Flik should seriously ponder how much those sliding pliers are worth.

And those famous Gerber/Fiskars scissors? Yes, they're nice, but the more I use the Wave's dinky cutters, the more I find them perfectly adequate for most "basic" jobs.

So... what now? Well, as a result of this "epiphany," I've decided to sell *ALL* my multitools: the Flik  :cry: , my "fabulous" Suspension, and yes, even my newly-acquired Wave  :o  :o  :o ... Now why would I want to do THAT, you ask? Simple: to save up and get myself the ultimate "Wave": the Charge TTi.  :D :D :D :D :D  :ahhh

:multi:

Now don't get me wrong. I still think the Flik is a fine tool. Those who can do without a file and/or those who need one-handed operation would do well to put it on their shopping list.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:14:50 PM
One of the biggest problem with flik I had was if you place it jaw down in belt pouch, the jaws would partially fall out if you run and jump around. The sliding jaw is neat, but all the sacrifices came with it is not worth it. Now it rides in a buddy's glovebox, so doesn't matter anymore.

I don't know if charge tti is worth is thou, it's basically a wave with fancier scale. What you need to do thou, is take a look at swisstool spirit, play with one in your hands, then decide what you want.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:18:31 PM by jzmtl »

spam Offline EM745

Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 07:17:57 PM
I don't know if charge tti is worth is thou, it's basically a wave with fancier scale.

...AND the bit kit, AND the cutting hook, AND the S30V blade, AND the pocket clip.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 07:22:34 PM
At least for me none of those are useful. Bitkit I won't edc, I don't really need a cutting hook, already edc pocket knives with s30v/vg10, and after getting a clip for wave I found it's too heavy to clip to pocket.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 07:24:52 PM
I don't know if charge tti is worth is thou, it's basically a wave with fancier scale.

...AND the bit kit

You can get the bit kit for the Wave too.... and a pocket clip......

Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Hoghead

Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 07:34:25 PM

...AND the bit kit

The bit kit that is sold seperately has more bits than the bit kit that comes with the Charge. The pocket clips are the same.

spam Offline EM745

Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 07:56:47 PM

At extra cost.

Factor in the cost of a Wave, a comparable bit kit and the pocket clip, and you get within shouting distance of the price of a Charge. And you still can't get the hook and that "fancy" metal (Titanium and S30V).

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 09:15:04 PM
EM745 you did a nice job there, ty :cheers:
very interesting perspective and thoughts ;)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 09:22:36 PM
At extra cost.

Factor in the cost of a Wave, a comparable bit kit and the pocket clip, and you get within shouting distance of the price of a Charge. And you still can't get the hook and that "fancy" metal (Titanium and S30V).

Wave w/bit kit and pocket clip over here is £89 Charge TTi is £130 so £40 gets you a "better" steel and a hook, it's probably a lot better value in the US but over here the Wave would win on value every time. Just my opinion though :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Hoghead

Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 09:23:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, I EDC a BO Charge Ti.

If you already have a Wave the cost difference would probably be more if you sell the Wave and buy a Charge then if you bought the pocket clip and the bit kit. The bit kit has more bits and you might end up buying the bit kit even if you buy a Charge.

Now if you had said you were going to keep the Wave for a spare and buy a Charge and a bit kit that would have made sence to me.    :D

spam Offline EM745

Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 10:00:26 PM
Wave w/bit kit and pocket clip over here is £89 Charge TTi is £130 so £40 gets you a "better" steel and a hook, it's probably a lot better value in the US but over here the Wave would win on value every time. Just my opinion though :)

As I mentionned in another thread, there's an eBay seller (in the US) who has 'em at $106.66 USD shipped. So yes, they are a better value over here. I shudder whenever I look at the prices of items (ANY items) from UK based sellers.  :o

Now if you had said you were going to keep the Wave for a spare and buy a Charge and a bit kit that would have made sence to me.    :D

I'm not looking to "collect" multitools (at least, not anymore). Not that there's anything wrong with multitool collecting (aside from the serious hit it takes on one's wallet). At this point I just want one "do-it-all" EDC tool. As I said above, even if I were to get the separate add-ons for the Wave, I still wouldn't be getting the hook tool and the fancy metallurgy.

From what I've read online (and I've read plenty), and from my short experience with the Wave, especially in comparison with the Flik, I am now convinced that the Charge is the best all-rounder available. Plus, it just looks SOOO damn good in its titanium suit!  8)

Offline Hoghead

Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 10:09:40 PM
I think you'll be very happy with the Charge.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 10:43:07 PM

I'm not looking to "collect" multitools (at least, not anymore). Not that there's anything wrong with multitool collecting (aside from the serious hit it takes on one's wallet). At this point I just want one "do-it-all" EDC tool. As I said above, even if I were to get the separate add-ons for the Wave, I still wouldn't be getting the hook tool and the fancy metallurgy.

From what I've read online (and I've read plenty), and from my short experience with the Wave, especially in comparison with the Flik, I am now convinced that the Charge is the best all-rounder available. Plus, it just looks SOOO damn good in its titanium suit!  8)

I agree with you, EM.

Charge TTi is the "holy grail" of multitools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%