Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

111mm Help choosing!

Ross · 38 · 10052

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: 111mm Help choosing!
Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 12:19:39 PM
Are they really that hard to close one handed?
I don't have one, but out of a quick test of C33t, Skeletool, SRM 720 and Wingman I can do them all left handed. The worst is opening the Wingman, closing it's easy.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:56 PM
The OHT is. Nice Sak and they are not hard to close one handed. It takes practice to get used to them. But it has a philips.
I never tried a Wenger 130mm line yet. But they look like the're built like a tank. And the push button is cool.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 01:24:51 PM

No.  After a little practice, it's easy.  I never use two hands to close an OHT.
- Terry

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 01:34:26 PM

No.  After a little practice, it's easy.  I never use two hands to close an OHT.

Same here.. I even tend to do it while watching tv or something.. Just opening and closing it one handed to keep my hands occupied. :P

Someone here made a good video explaining how to do it if it sounds hard. Not sure where, but you can probably find it if you search.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 04:04:54 PM
If you are left handed, the Victorinox Trailmaster is a doddle to open one handed.
If you're right handed, yes, it's possible to close with one hand but still a major pain in the derriere compared to the Wenger. The push button system is simply superior to Victorinox's method. And I say that as someone who generally doesn't like Wengers.
The other thing to consider is the Vic Trailmaster blade isn't much bigger than the one you'd get on an alox pioneer. It is beautifully shaped, that's for sure, - fantastic piece of design - totally wrecked by the stone-age lock release mechanism.
Also consider Victorinoxes will be available for the foreseeable future while Wengers, especially the fun ones like the Snow and Hardwoods, are not going to be around for long.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 04:31:08 PM
It's really not that bad!

Found a video, it's not the one I was thinking about, but still. I use the third way he's demonstrating:

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 04:46:42 PM
The Vic OHT opens faster than the Wenger 130mm line imho

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 10:13:51 PM
My fav 111mm probably isnt the most exciting, but I really like the plain edge OH trekker.  I avoided the 111 size for awhile as I thought they were all serrated, and I prefer plain.

(Image removed from quote.)

+1.  While I like the idea of the 111mm soldier, I like the plain edge OHT more than the serrations. PLus you keep the tweezers and toothpick, if that is important.  The PE OHT is my favorite (and so far only) 111mm model, although I think the factory PE version is getting hard to find. Maybe discontinued :think:  Perfect SAK, IMO, for being in the woods.

+2   :D

Same here, PE OHO Trekker is probably my favorite 111mm Vic, it has all the essential tools I needed for camping and it is not too large to hold.  I have tried other thicker model, such as Workchamp, but personally, it is a bit too thick to hold comfortably to work with.

Ross,

Are you close to London?  There is a flagship store very close to Bond street Tube station, and they do have a pretty decent display for most of the current Vic products.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%